Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:03 pm
flyingember wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am The total money picture probably looks better

There's downtown residents that it could be an impluse event
There's the ability for a business to all go for a weekday game and use their existing parking
There's obviously more hotel rooms, and visitors could fit a game in after a day at a convention or other activity, many of these people picked up a hotel or event shuttle to downtown

It doesn't take much of a new increase in ticket sales to counter the lost parking revenue.

Four tickets at just $20 each is the revenue of 5 cars. One car could hold 3-4 people. Better to increase ticket sales than parking.

A Pick 10 pack is worth a minimum of $16 per game. For a car with four in it that's $64 worth of tickets
Parking is worth $15 per game

It just makes sense for them to upsell tickets
All around, it's a better experience for the fans and a better situation for KC. I'm just surprised the new owner is able to see past the parking revenue (and potentially the loss of some food sales as well due to so many nearby restaurants) to push for a DT stadium. He must see the upside. I would think there's also room enough in East Village to build a stadium and provide at least some parking which the Royals could control.
A “Ball Park Village” of sorts would likely get developed by the same group.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Kauffman Village?
Kauffman Square?
Kauffman Park?

The stadium naming rights could sell every few years. Naming the area after Kaffman should stick.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What are we going to name after David Glass? Brought us a WS win and two AL champs, kept the team in town when nobody wanted it. I know he wasn't loved like Mr. K, but he did as much as Mr. K did. Needs a statue at least.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Kauffman Village or Square = greater area
Glass Park = an actual park with statue within area, maybe part of stadium grounds

XYZ Stadium at Glass Park in Kauffman Village, KC, MO, USA, NA, Planet Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe #34602
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Crossposting this here from the book thread
Rabble wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am Just finished Paul Goldberger's new book, Ballpark. A nice history of baseball parks, from the wood structures of 19th century, through the concrete donuts of my childhood to the retros of today, and how they related to the American city.
Paul Goldberger will be speaking at the KCPL Plaza Branch at 6:30pm this coming Thursday.

https://cityscenekc.com/downtown-lunche ... park-book/

https://www.kclibrary.org/signature-eve ... rican-city

I finished reading Ballpark recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it even if you're like me and aren't a big baseball person. It changed how I look at baseball stadiums and how they can be successfully integrated into urban environments.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'd take it. Apartment design needs tweaking but I like it overall.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I like it but 30K seating is pretty small, smallest in MLB? Would be more intimate I suppose. The residential component pretty nice. But given it's essentially a fantasy rendering, they should add a few more 'potential' hirise residential towers overlooking left-center field.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Trying to fit a major league baseball stadium into four square blocks is completely laughable.

You need nine. Minimum.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Not to mention blocking three city streets and removing a freeway exit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's a start to the conversation. Let's go!

Love the apartment building
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why would they not bury the field so that you come in even to the lower concourse instead of having to climb a shit-ton of stairs? Looks like an ADA nightmare.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Who is going to pay for this?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 pm Why would they not bury the field so that you come in even to the lower concourse instead of having to climb a shit-ton of stairs? Looks like an ADA nightmare.
Might be a bit early to start judging the size of the tree wells, etc.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 pm Might be a bit early to start judging the size of the tree wells, etc.
Just curious if it’s a new design function with a particular purpose. I’ve been to most every stadium and never seen situation where you climb to the concourse and then back down to your seat. I realize this is someone’s fantasy and will likely never be built.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Coors field = 650,000 square feet
This thing = 750,000 square feet
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:27 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 pm Might be a bit early to start judging the size of the tree wells, etc.
Just curious if it’s a new design function with a particular purpose. I’ve been to most every stadium and never seen situation where you climb to the concourse and then back down to your seat. I realize this is someone’s fantasy and will likely never be built.
just being a smartass. It seems like the lower level goes down, the field seems below grade?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm just being a smartass. It seems like the lower level goes down, the field seems below grade?
Look at the video. It’s shows a huge double bank of stairs at the entrance. If the field is below grade, it’s not very deep, definitely much shallower than The K. Why make the first thing everyone has to do is climb a mountain of stairs? I’m underwhelmed by the overall design.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 pm just being a smartass. It seems like the lower level goes down, the field seems below grade?
Look at the video. It’s shows a huge double bank of stairs at the entrance. If the field is below grade, it’s not very deep, definitely much shallower than The K.
Is it possible that some stairs lead up while other entrances go straight in?

Regardless, there are very real designs in existence being worked on by interests involved with the east village and royals.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:39 pm
Look at the video. It’s shows a huge double bank of stairs at the entrance. If the field is below grade, it’s not very deep, definitely much shallower than The K. Why make the first thing everyone has to do is climb a mountain of stairs? I’m underwhelmed by the overall design.
Well I wouldn't worry about Pendulum being the final architect or like you said, this being the design.