1/4 cent Fire Sales Tax

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

1/4 cent Fire Sales Tax

Post by kboish »

This seems like pretty big news. The Council voted last week to put a 1/4 cent sales tax on the April ballot to support Fire Dept equip and operations. This came out of nowhere. Lots of interesting angles to this one. The Star had an OpEd on this one that hits most of the points. The Star feigns surprise that this is happening, when in reality they are cheering on the controversy they could see coming a mile away given all of Lucas' campaign promises.
Last week, Kansas City Councilwoman Katheryn Shields said the fire tax ordinance was finished several days before it was introduced. The mayor, she said, asked her to hold it for consideration until last Thursday.

Lucas was scheduled to be out of the city that day.

The mayor’s office confirms a private discussion with Shields about the tax. It rejects any suggestion that Lucas asked for the delay so he could duck the controversial vote.

Kansas Citians can reach their own conclusions. It is a fact, though, that Lucas never asked the council to wait for August, which he could have. It’s a fact that he didn’t vote Thursday. It’s also a fact Lucas was endorsed by the firefighters’ union, Local 42.

And it’s a fact that candidate Lucas publicly rejected tax increases, particularly sales tax increases, during his campaign. That commitment now seems hollow at best.

After the council vote, the mayor issued a weak statement promising to stretch dollars “as far as we can.” That doesn’t answer our question: Will you vote yes, Mr. Mayor, or no?
This is some hard core political maneuvering. I wonder how long people will let Lucas get away with these no-answer PR responses to real questions about policy decisions.

And this is not the end apparently.
Sadly, that isn’t the worst of it.

On Thursday, Kansas City Councilwoman Teresa Loar tried adding another quarter-cent sales tax to the April ballot — this one for the police department. The cops, she argued, have needs that are just as important as the firefighters’.

Hilariously, the fire department taxers on the council suddenly developed cold feet. It’s too fast, they said. We need time to think about this.

Loar’s proposal failed, as she knew it would. After the meeting, she said she was trying to make a point, which she did.

But she did more. Her police tax plan is still alive for the August ballot. That leaves the City Council with two options: Put another $315 million tax hike before voters this year, or tell one of the most murderous cities in America that its police force is less important than its firefighters.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 1/4 cent Fire Sales Tax

Post by chaglang »

The Star Ed Board is spectacularly naive. Lucas is exactly the same politician he was as a councilman. But, ya know, go Chiefs.

The line in the editorial about telling the KCPD they're less important is gratuitous and reductive.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'll doubt we see much appetite for any new taxes while many residents face significant property tax hikes in Jackson County, and watch their county administrators make dubious financial decisions in Clay County.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Firefighters + Spouses + Family members > Rest of Public Voting in One Issue April Election

Is my equation correct?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yes, Councilwoman Shields.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

his office is calling shields a liar? or is there a nuance here i'm missing?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

If both quarter-cent tax increases pass, we would be looking at what in the downtown area? Over 12%? Closing in on 13%?

KC is over its skis here -- way beyond its peer cities with these double-digit sales taxes. I know there is variation within the city (which is why I go to Brookside to buy groceries), but for tourists to downtown coming from places with 3% or 4% sales tax rates, KC has really shocking rates. See, for example, Plowboys at lunch; you will hear someone in the line dumbfounded why his eight dollar ninety-nine order is over ten bucks at the register.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This sales tax fails, right? I haven’t heard anyone who likes it. Honestly, we should be cutting fire houses. With as open as our roads are, there is no need to have houses 3 minutes drive time apart.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 pm If both quarter-cent tax increases pass, we would be looking at what in the downtown area? Over 12%? Closing in on 13%?
With the proposed tax included

4.225 state
3.25 citywide
1.375 jackson county

9.6% with the Streetcar TDD. So the low end would be 9.85 and that's most of downtown

The deepest TDD stacking downtown is 3%
For 11.85 on the high end
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:52 pm This sales tax fails, right? I haven’t heard anyone who likes it. Honestly, we should be cutting fire houses. With as open as our roads are, there is no need to have houses 3 minutes drive time apart.
I bet it passes in the Northland. They're convinced none of the city services work to their standards. Response times!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:52 pm This sales tax fails, right? I haven’t heard anyone who likes it. Honestly, we should be cutting fire houses. With as open as our roads are, there is no need to have houses 3 minutes drive time apart.
I bet it passes in the Northland. They're convinced none of the city services work to their standards. Response times!
Also because it’s Copland.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm
They closed one near northland fire station to open a new one on the far edge of town. When we had our fire a few years ago both crews that came were from south of the river.

So there's some reason to think the system is underfunded since they literally said they closed it due to funding issues.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:22 am They closed one near northland fire station to open a new one on the far edge of town. When we had our fire a few years ago both crews that came were from south of the river.

So there's some reason to think the system is underfunded since they literally said they closed it due to funding issues.
That seems like an administration issue. There are 20+ firehouses north of the river.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:46 am
flyingember wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:22 am They closed one near northland fire station to open a new one on the far edge of town. When we had our fire a few years ago both crews that came were from south of the river.

That seems like an administration issue. There are 20+ firehouses north of the river.
If you have a two car crash you might need as many as 6-8 ambulances. It doesn't take long before every team in the northland has been called and other cities are helping out.

Not my map, it shows 20 station with ambulances. I checked a couple and it seems reasonably correct. Neither 25 in the river market or 8 in the crossroads does, for example.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... o9SDwpW1gM