GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by WSPanic »

I like it. A longer route in terrible weather could be problematic for parade participants, but it sure would probably be easier for attendees to actually see something. And, on the off chance the weather is good, a TON of people will show up for it.

Now go outside, turn around three times and spit. You're going to jinx the whole thing!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Great to see the Chiefs heading to the Super Bowl in 2 weeks.

Great win today.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Super Bowl!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

We've already painted the town red. Now what?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Win the fucking thing.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought about this today and I want to know if anyone agrees.

I feel like going to a super bowl is so different than a World Series and I don't know if i like it and overall think it kind of sucks. With the Royals World Series run we got to know the players, we got stories, it was a lot more intimate. Hell a guy like Johnny Gomes who barely played was a local star but I guarantee most people cannot name 3 players on the Offensive Line for the Chiefs.

With baseball we basically had a month of nonstop play/entertainment in October. With the Super Bowl we have had 3 days (12 total hours) of football play and a whopping 25 days off to talk and hype up the games, does anyone think this kind of sucks, maybe i'm just growing old with football, its basically just turned into a spectacle and not really a sport and a who's/who attending the game
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I definitely agree with regards to the second part - playing every day in the MLB playoffs creates an energy/momentum in the city that is unparalleled.

The Gomes example is interesting - because I don't think anyone really thought of him as a local star until the parade. Maybe I'm misremembering. I think Anthony Sherman is a good comp for Gomes. And I think most Chiefs fans know who Eric Fisher is. Most know Sherman. And a surprising amount know guys like Winchester (long snapper). But it is different.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I agree that it's vastly different. I'm not sure it sucks. After all, we get to hear Joe Buck talk for three hours.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Yeah, i just meant it sucks from a city energy/momentum perspective
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:50 pm I definitely agree with regards to the second part - playing every day in the MLB playoffs creates an energy/momentum in the city that is unparalleled.

The Gomes example is interesting - because I don't think anyone really thought of him as a local star until the parade. Maybe I'm misremembering. I think Anthony Sherman is a good comp for Gomes. And I think most Chiefs fans know who Eric Fisher is. Most know Sherman. And a surprising amount know guys like Winchester (long snapper). But it is different.
I meant the fans that just started watching in the playoffs doing it more as a social activity watching it at peoples houses. Nobody is going to know Sherman, Winchester, Fisher, etc
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Additionally, ticket prices for the SB are INSANE. For 2015 WS: TiqIQ research said the average price of tickets to the first game is $878.52 while tickets to the seventh game are averaging an astounding $1,698.79. Just getting into stadium for the final game would cost $661.

My family has a partial season. We snagged 4 tickets to the 2014 World Series, and it was indeed a life highlight. I managed to go to a game in 2015, but as it was won in NY and I was living in Columbia, it wasn't quite the same experience, but was more happy we won that anyways.

The SB is mainly reserved for sponsors of the NFL and other VIPs. For WS, if you were a season ticket holder, you got to reserve playoff and world series tickets. For the SB, you have a very small chance of being drawn for a lottery. Ticket allocation is as below:

17.5 percent to the AFC champion
17.5 percent to the NFC champion
5 percent to the host team
34.8 percent are distributed among the remaining 29 teams (1.2 percent per team)

Seriously, 17.5% of tickets? That is a joke. The tickets on the re-sell market are obscene, just getting in the door is around 4k-5k, plus another 1k in fees to the third parties. Literally out of reach of most of Kansas City and even dedicated season ticket holders mostly don't get to go. Furthermore, the stadium (which although I haven't been there is apparently in a really weird surburban area and the smallest stadium that the SB has been in in a while. So I'm just as happy saving 10k and watching it on a TV, where I can at least halfway see whats going on.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m sure there are tons of new big screen TVs being sold in Kansas City this and next week.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Ever since I noticed Patrick Mahomes on a sports bar TV early in the 2018 season, I have never missed a Chiefs game--on TV. Along the way, I noticed the skills of other folks, such as Andy Reid, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Tyrann Mathiew, Terrell Suggs, Damien Williams, Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman, Darwin Thompson, Darrel Williams, Harrison Butker, and a bunch of others. I personally consider football games to be more exciting than those of other sports. I'm glad other fans are willing to fill the stadium with so many others. They enhance the fun and potential wins.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm
Seriously, 17.5% of tickets? That is a joke. The tickets on the re-sell market are obscene, just getting in the door is around 4k-5k, plus another 1k in fees to the third parties. Literally out of reach of most of Kansas City and even dedicated season ticket holders mostly don't get to go. Furthermore, the stadium (which although I haven't been there is apparently in a really weird surburban area and the smallest stadium that the SB has been in in a while. So I'm just as happy saving 10k and watching it on a TV, where I can at least halfway see whats going on.
That's the why atmosphere at the Super Bowl is garbage 100% of the time. Nothing like playing in front a crowd of disinterested sales and marketing VPs from your favorite sponsor's company.

Face value for a ticket someone posted a picture of was $1,700. That just seems crazy. I looked on StubHub yesterday and there were over 3,500 tickets starting at $4K. Will be interesting to see how that fluctuates as we get closer.

I'm good watching it on TV. But a South Beach vacation with a Chiefs Super Bowl mixed in would be a good time.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The Brit Chief guy on YouTube is flying over from UK to Miami. What a nut.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Been following BritChief on Twitter for a while. He is a hoot.

There's also a "Baseball Brit" on Twitter who is a huge Royals/KC fan. He toured the US all year watching major and minor league ball. Well worth the follow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm Additionally, ticket prices for the SB are INSANE. For 2015 WS: TiqIQ research said the average price of tickets to the first game is $878.52 while tickets to the seventh game are averaging an astounding $1,698.79. Just getting into stadium for the final game would cost $661.

My family has a partial season. We snagged 4 tickets to the 2014 World Series, and it was indeed a life highlight. I managed to go to a game in 2015, but as it was won in NY and I was living in Columbia, it wasn't quite the same experience, but was more happy we won that anyways.

The SB is mainly reserved for sponsors of the NFL and other VIPs. For WS, if you were a season ticket holder, you got to reserve playoff and world series tickets. For the SB, you have a very small chance of being drawn for a lottery. Ticket allocation is as below:

17.5 percent to the AFC champion
17.5 percent to the NFC champion
5 percent to the host team
34.8 percent are distributed among the remaining 29 teams (1.2 percent per team)

Wow, we really did luck out I guess. I bought 4 tickets to game 5 at NY Mets for $330 each including fees. Bought them same day and drove up for the game that night. An experience we will never forget for sure. I feel like the superbowl is nothing but comps, celebrities, contest winners etc. I'm sure a few actual Chiefs fans (same fans that show up to Arrowhead every weekend) will go, but no way am I paying 6-8k for a ticket.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 pm I thought about this today and I want to know if anyone agrees.

I feel like going to a super bowl is so different than a World Series and I don't know if i like it and overall think it kind of sucks. With the Royals World Series run we got to know the players, we got stories, it was a lot more intimate. Hell a guy like Johnny Gomes who barely played was a local star but I guarantee most people cannot name 3 players on the Offensive Line for the Chiefs.

With baseball we basically had a month of nonstop play/entertainment in October. With the Super Bowl we have had 3 days (12 total hours) of football play and a whopping 25 days off to talk and hype up the games, does anyone think this kind of sucks, maybe i'm just growing old with football, its basically just turned into a spectacle and not really a sport and a who's/who attending the game
I disagree. Well, besides the entire structure of the two sports are vastly different. Football is action packed and because of the limited amount of games, attendance and attention is high at all times here in KC. Not so much in baseball, unless of course they're making a rare playoff run, the royals attendance is towards the bottom of the league where as the Chiefs are consistently towards the top.

Obviously when you have multiple chances to catch a world series game, the price is going to be lower than the Super Bowl ticket. Football is the #1 sport in America for a reason. Every game counts and every game features intense action. It's one of, if not the hardest popular sport there is... just compare the average career length of a MLB player to an NFL player.

I'd say about any somewhat serious chiefs fan can name most of the starting players, including the O-line. I know of dozens and dozens of people going to the game who are not rich by any means. I also know of hundreds of loyal fans flying in from all over the country to watch the game locally and be a part of the vibe. I don't remember that happening during the WS.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I wonder what it would take in dollars to buy enough advertising time during the Superbowl to say the words "Kansas City" however often those words are said during the game? KMBC interviewed poor old Mayor Charlie Wheeler in his hospital bed to compare KC 50 years ago and now. He said the game came at a transformational time. Things that define KC such as Crown Center, KCI, Bartle Hall, Kemper Arena,the Sports Complex were just getting underway. The winning attitude of the Chiefs and the leap into the future feeling of the big projects gave a swagger. The next step was the successful PR campaign "One of the Few Livable Cities Left."
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm I wonder what it would take in dollars to buy enough advertising time during the Superbowl to say the words "Kansas City" however often those words are said during the game? KMBC interviewed poor old Mayor Charlie Wheeler in his hospital bed to compare KC 50 years ago and now. He said the game came at a transformational time. Things that define KC such as Crown Center, KCI, Bartle Hall, Kemper Arena,the Sports Complex were just getting underway. The winning attitude of the Chiefs and the leap into the future feeling of the big projects gave a swagger. The next step was the successful PR campaign "One of the Few Livable Cities Left."
True and this one super bowl will do more for Kansas City tourism than all those Royals playoff games combined. The exposure this city is about to get during the live broadcast is worth millions and millions of dollars. Fan's aren't flying to other cities to see a baseball game, however the impact has already been seen locally by fans from other cities coming in to see their teams play this team at a legendary "bucket list" stadium. The amount of visiting fans this year was like nothing I've ever seen.

And to touch with more insight on how the SB tickets actually work. It's not as it's made to seem. All those tickets that go to corporate sponsors are mostly used by fans. For example, Bud Light isn't sending employees, they're sending important clients from San Fran and KC. I'd safely say that 80% of the fans in the stadium are passionate about one of the teams playing. The other 20% are there to shake hands, talk business or socialize in general.