OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am If the proposal is anywhere close to accurate, these are the only two buildings that would need to be sacrificed for the central alignment.
Any idea on what the plan would be for the land where the bridge run up is now? I assume it would be grafted back into the street system and the land sold for new building?
absolutely nothing

5th to 4th would be the new ramps
4th to ~2nd is Woodsweather. The road underneath that's not going away (buildings front onto it)
one railroad or another owns everything north of Woodsweather

there's a tiny building wide parcel that could be recovered but it's currently a street for railroad access and there's a utility easement (towers) going E-W through the area
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't look like much usable land after you factor in RR tracks, interchanges, etc. I have heard nothing on anything like this but maybe a trail network hub?

https://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/.a/6 ... 386200b-pi
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will the south end have to be even higher than the present bridge to clear the Woodswether viaduct?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

moderne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:27 pm Will the south end have to be even higher than the present bridge to clear the Woodswether viaduct?
Doesn't look like it should have to.
https://goo.gl/maps/Lhp3NxY9NvqJzgwk8
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm Doesn't look like much usable land after you factor in RR tracks, interchanges, etc. I have heard nothing on anything like this but maybe a trail network hub?

I didn’t realize the split of 35S and Broadway would be so far north. I assumed there would be an exit to a E-W running boulevard replacing the North Loop. Wouldn’t that be less intrusive and make it easier for people going to other parts of DT? You’d take the boulevard and turn onto Broadway, Main, Grand, etc. Why the dump of cars into DT at Broadway?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm Doesn't look like much usable land after you factor in RR tracks, interchanges, etc. I have heard nothing on anything like this but maybe a trail network hub?

I didn’t realize the split of 35S and Broadway would be so far north. I assumed there would be an exit to a E-W running boulevard replacing the North Loop. Wouldn’t that be less intrusive and make it easier for people going to other parts of DT? You’d take the boulevard and turn onto Broadway, Main, Grand, etc. Why the dump of cars into DT at Broadway?
I don’t think Northloop removal is a part of this project. They can’t design the thing for a Northloop removal that could or couldn’t happen in the future.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pmThey can’t design the thing for a Northloop removal that could or couldn’t happen in the future.
Why not?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Will it be possible to remove the north loop with this design?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pm I don’t think Northloop removal is a part of this project. They can’t design the thing for a Northloop removal that could or couldn’t happen in the future.
Make the exit after the bridge connect with 169/6th St as it will still be in place with North Loop removal or would make easy change to new boulevard where highway currently is. Would be cheaper too than current central plan as it wouldn’t be a highway split but just an exit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Riverite wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 pm Will it be possible to remove the north loop with this design?
Yes
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 am Also, it's surprising to me but I see a lot of folks walking down the median - far too many. Always wonder where one would be walking to/from along that stretch.
It's residents of the Holiday apartments (the former motel on Harlem Rd). Many of them don't have cars, and bus service there is virtually nonexistent in that it's far quicker to walk across the bridge to get to a bus than it is to walk to the closest stop in NKC at 10th & Burlington. They really should never have permitted that for apartments without there being either adequate bus service or a safe pedestrian crossing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The 51 services the downtown airport but infrequent
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 pm The 51 services the downtown airport but infrequent
It's really weird 229 doesn't stop at MKC instead. It's every 30-60 all day, goes right by it and just doesn't stop. Instead a not very useful service has to go further to stop there.

That's the kind of really basic service that could enabling living north and taking the bus to work at the downtown airport. It's like 15 minutes from 56th and I-29 by bus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://cityscenekc.com/recommended-one ... northland/
A public hearing has been scheduled by MoDOT for March 10 at the Mid-American Regional Council office at 600 Broadway from 4- to 6 p.m. to discuss what’s being called the “Central Alternative” for the replacement bridge.
At the March 10 public hearing, people will be able to review the preferred Central Alternative and ask the study team questions and provide feedback by submitting a comment card in writing, according to a release from MoDOT.
If you feel strongly about this option, and how it can be changed for the better, go to this meeting.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is great news!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I think the west alternative was the best option, but the central alternative is good too
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I don't know if I am looking at it correctly, but it looks like northbound 35 at the NW corner of the bluffs has the right lane as the through lane and the 6th St/Broadway exit on the left?
Last edited by moderne on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Posting here for convenience.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Also, here's the west alternative, for comparison.

bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

moderne wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:28 pm I don't know if I am looking at it correctly, but it looks like northbound 35 at the NW corner of the bluffs has the right land as the through lane and the 6th St/Broadway exit on the left?
Looks that way to me. I think those woods are covering up a decent strip of land that might actually be pretty convenient for that: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.106668, ... 384!8i8192
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS