Prairie Village

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Prairie Village

Post by kcjak »

Macy's to close in PV Shops, with clearance sale beginning this month and lasting 8-12 weeks.

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2020/01/ ... hops-85624
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Prairie Village

Post by mgsports »

Was going to post that.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

This is the old "Jones in the Village." Sad news, but not surprising. Last time I was there, it took longer to find someone to pay than to find the item I wanted.

My first interview suit came from this store in the 1980s as did my first "real" (not a children's model) winter coat in the late-1970s, which cost over $100 and seemed like a fortune in those days. Jones was the local KC department store chain, whereas the price-equivalent Macy's (first incarnation*) was perceived as more NYC. Stix, Baer & Fuller was the fancy department store -- from St. Louis. It was the anchor of Ward Parkway Center. There were a number of smaller, fancy boutiques on the Plaza also (Harzfeld's, Woolf Brothers, Jack Henry).

The store, still branded as The Jones Store Company, expanded with a larger top floor in the 1980s (to match the size of the lower level and the main floor). You can see how they tried to match the brickwork from the entry "On The Mall."

*Macy's Midwest previously existed in the KC market (Mission Mall, Oak Park, etc.) until around 1985, when they all converted to Dillard's. I think there were also old Macy's in Ohio. For about 20 years there were no Macy's in KC, then Jones (which was sold to the May conglomerate in the 1990s) was part of the merger into the Macy's holding company (Federated Department Stores), and all the old Jones became new Macy's.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I was in this Macy's around 2 months ago, very dingy inside, broken escalators, and merchandise that all seems to have been strewn about the floor with not a lot of purpose. It seems at the time they had inclinations it was not going to last for much longer.

In a very tough market for retail, it's not surprising that they choose to shut this store down. There will also be a new Nordstroms in the plaza as well, which is relatively close.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe can get another Department store to replace it.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why? Department Stores are dead. The place has a better chance at becoming an indoor shooting range than it does being a department store.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Organic Grocery? Planet Fitness?
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
Come on up to the Metro North store - It's dead as a doorknob and the only thing in the parking lot now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am
If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.
Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.
That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm

That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.
What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm

What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...
Are you really telling me this mall was dead in the mid 90s? I find that hard to believe.

The mall would have closed down if a major tenant hadn't been able to bring in business at the height of malls nationwide.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am

But, since you say so...
Are you really telling me this mall was dead in the mid 90s? I find that hard to believe.

The mall would have closed down if a major tenant hadn't been able to bring in business at the height of malls nationwide.

lol. Mall?

What mall?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Imarealperson wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 am
flyingember wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am

But, since you say so...

lol. Mall?

What mall?
Ok, not a mall.

Another thing, anyone who shopped at that Macy's for 20 or 25 years would know that it's only been a Macy's for 13 years. It was a Jones Store.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am
Another thing, anyone who shopped at that Macy's for 20 or 25 years would know that it's only been a Macy's for 13 years. It was a Jones Store.
Ah yes, an earth shattering difference in the quality of goods.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

I talked to an assistant manager at the store and PV has wanted the store gone for ages. Macy's had started renovating part of the store (they only got to part of the 3rd floor and the customer service area), but it was implied that they were not being allowed to stay. Several years ago when the shopping center was going to go through a total facade renovation, Macy's was not included in the plans. People who work at PE and SME seem to think the building will come down for a new library.
longviewmo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am
Ah yes, an earth shattering difference in the quality of goods.
If Mercantile was doing that well they wouldn't have sold themselves to Dillard's and likewise with May selling themselves to Federated.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

former Macys

Post by mgsports »

If single Anchor new to area Sierra Trading Post or Field and Stream.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: former Macys

Post by horizons82 »

Since some might be wondering what the hell is being mentioned, I think it’s the former Macy’s in Prairie Village:

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2020/10/ ... ge-103179/

They explicitly mention that it’d be a multi-tenant building. Retail for the first two floors and office users up on the third.