Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by alejandro46 »

Hogshead is out.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 52773.html
Locally owned Hogshead Kansas City is closing on the Country Club Plaza after only two years of operations.

Executive chef Clark Grant announced the closing on Facebook with “a heavy heart.”

Reached by phone Friday, Clark said it has been a rough year — from winter storms in January to the recent loss of parking spaces to make way for Nordstrom, just a block away. He plans to close Jan. 5.

Customers expressed their sorrow on Facebook, such as one who posted: “This place has the best pork chop in town. And great cocktails. Love love love the vibe and atmosphere. This restaurant was so cool and will be missed.”

Another customers said, “Best food on the Plaza you guys could have made it anywhere in the burbs.....”

Grant teamed up with Shawn McClenny of One Block South entertainment district in Overland Park to open Hogshead in late 2017.

They gutted the 5,500-square-foot former California Pizza Kitchen space at 4743 Pennsylvania Ave. for a “rustic contemporary decor” with open kitchen and chef’s counter seating, community tables and booths — some under a 28-foot moss wall.

The menu included braised short ribs, branzino, foie gras “Snickers” bars and other items that created a buzz, such as their version of McDonald’s McRib sandwich and cocktails containing CBD.

The Plaza has lost two other locally owned restaurants recently — The Oliver across from the Nordstrom project, and mainstay Fred P. Ott’s.

“The Plaza has changed so much in the last five years,” Clark said. “It’s still a premier dining location. It’s just not the premiere dining location. There are so many other areas now.”

Plaza officials declined to comment.
Somehow in a shopping center full of thousands of *free* parking spaces they complain that the giant parking garage located on the other end of the plaza which is, let me double check, STILL THERE, caused them to close...

I've been there and I thought it was a decent spot. The inside was beautiful. I think the rent at the Plaza is just really pushing it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Plaza rent has jumped (from about $20sqft to $30 since new owners) but also the restaurant spaces are too large. Hogshead said 'too much overhead'. Most Plaza restaurants would do well with half the seats (and lower rent with it).

According to CBRE, over 200 restaurants opened in 2018 and over 50 opened in KC metro over Q3. Retail spaces are targeting restaurants given hit on traditional retail. If restaurant growth outpaces population growth, which seems to be happening in KC... survival of the fittest.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:12 pm
MidtownCat wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:26 am
LCDSI wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:50 pm Does anyone know if forever 21 is closing on the plaza or are they still negotiating the lease rates?
I’ve been told that’s the location targeted for the largest CVS in the city. As we know, The Country Plaza desperately needs a drug store!
Is that site big enough for an Urban Target?
Target hasn't managed to accomplish much outside of being a college oriented convenience store when they build under 20,000 sqf. I think their choices would be most of the old Halls, the old Saks, or the old Restoration Hardware.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

empires228 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 pm
Target hasn't managed to accomplish much outside of being a college oriented convenience store when they build under 20,000 sqf. I think their choices would be most of the old Halls, the old Saks, or the old Restoration Hardware.
Those aren't choices.

For example, if you think the Apple Store is moving again you're crazy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

American Century Investments is seeking approval of industrial revenue bonds and property tax abatement to renovate their buildings at 4400 and 4500 Main Street.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docu ... oCMFRaOlt8
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:43 pm American Century Investments is seeking approval of industrial revenue bonds and property tax abatement to renovate their buildings at 4400 and 4500 Main Street.

Can I get the same property tax abatement for fixing up my house? I’m bringing exactly zero new jobs to the city...just like American Century likely will with this request.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:43 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:43 pm American Century Investments is seeking approval of industrial revenue bonds and property tax abatement to renovate their buildings at 4400 and 4500 Main Street.

Can I get the same property tax abatement for fixing up my house? I’m bringing exactly zero new jobs to the city...just like American Century likely will with this request.
Funny this happens so soon after Lucas' vote on the property in Waldo.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

American Century posted those by mistake on the City's website. They developed the plan, but decided not to pursue it.

https://tinyurl.com/srm4v7n
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Should we tear the Plaza down and just start over?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

MidtownCat wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm Should we tear the Plaza down and just start over?
Maybe ditch the Spanish motif and go with something Harry Potter themed?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
MidtownCat wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm Should we tear the Plaza down and just start over?
Only if it has a castle with a dragon on it
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:25 pm
WSPanic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Only if it has a castle with a dragon on it
I think it's safe to say we'd be the first metro to replace a Capital Grille with a Medieval Times.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't forget a recreation of the Star Wars bar in Mos Isley on Tattooine.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Some new renderings of the Punch Bowl Social/Jack Henry Building reno:

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pretty good upgrade. When Punchbowl lifecycles out within a few years, the upgrades will be attractive to another tenant.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 am Pretty good upgrade. When Punchbowl lifecycles out within a few years, the upgrades will be attractive to another tenant.
I would give 90% odds the follow on tenant will want to change the color scheme to match their branding.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Off all the buildings around the Plaza this has always been one the most unlovely even when its original office tenant was i it. Putting more applied decoration is lipstick on a pig. Don't tear down the beautiful church next door, tear this down and put up something taller.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 pmDon't tear down the beautiful church next door, tear this down and put up something taller.
I’ve never understood, even on this board, the call to tear down that church. If we’re looking for more amenities for people in the area and a return to ‘neighborhood’ vs. regional shopping mall, a church would seem to fit that desire as much as a pharmacy or small grocery store.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Though churches are dying along with certain traditional retail as fewer identify as religious. KC went from 10% non-religious identity 20 years ago to near 25% today. Even higher % may identify with a religion but not a church goer. Dying churches can't afford to keep up with high maintenance of old buildings. But it could be repurposed into something else as is common with Euro churches. If no one steps up to fund the maintenance, is not surprising a developer knocks it down given the prime location.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 am Pretty good upgrade. When Punchbowl lifecycles out within a few years, the upgrades will be attractive to another tenant.
Reading the reviews and short lived lifespan of some other Punchbowls, I'm wondering if the company even survives long enough to open on the plaza.