14th and Wyandotte Tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 14th and Wyandotte Tower

Post by langosta »

kboish wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:32 am This sounds like a pipe dream. Would love to see it happen obviously.
I could only find one property under the developer.

La Quinta Inn, near Interstate 435 and Metcalf Avenue

https://www.kmbc.com/amp/article/woman- ... e/25960514

Developer LinkedIn isn’t helpful either. Dilip Desai
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dilip-desai-538263a0
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Isn't this where some time ago some one was proposing an office building with a giant Tesla coil on top? Resurrecting the coil would be cool but I would guess that residents of the P&L Bldng might not enjoy living next to lightning bolts. It seems like a small footprint for such a major building. Will that north south alleyway have to stay? If so the floorplates could not be much larger than the lower floors of the P&L---small.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looks like Dilip Desai has some credibility in hotel biz but no signs of experience with anything of this scale. Wondering how he plans to get this financed. If he succeeds, getting a wave of investments from India ties would be good for KC, like Vancouver got from Hong Kong last couple decades.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:45 pm It seems like a small footprint for such a major building. Will that north south alleyway have to stay? If so the floorplates could not be much larger than the lower floors of the P&L---small.
This is what parcel view shows for the 2 lots owned by Bravicci

Lot 1: ~17,000 SQFT
Lot 2: ~26,000 SQFT

Lot 2 was purchased for parking for development on Lot 1 per a few public filings.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Aren't people saying Strata's floors are small at around 16,000 SQ FT? I thought places like KC Place, and the other big 3 on 12th had at least 25,000 SQ FT.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:39 pm Aren't people saying Strata's floors are small at around 16,000 SQ FT? I thought places like KC Place, and the other big 3 on 12th had at least 25,000 SQ FT.
Strata's plates range from 11-16K and are pretty small. ~25-30K is closer to average. The problem with OKC and similar is that their larger floor plates are bisected by numerous columns.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This project seems fishy. Two people who haven't really done anything coming out here and proposing a large building seems odd to me. I'll believe it when I see it but I have my doubts. If anyone knows more than me, please share. I want this project to be special, but at this point, it seems to be false.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Bravicci Hotel Project - South of Crown Plaza Hotel

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm I wonder if they are planning to build the hotel up against the Crown Plaza where the old garage was recently demolished.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0960276 ... !1e3?hl=en
It seems like it. Having the adjacent parking lot parcel available for use will allow for easy, on-site, but out of the way construction equipment & material staging and an accelerated construction timeline.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The developer just bought the property this year so might be legit. But also might be proposing an unrealistically large project as a 'vision' to get out there, squat on the land while hyping its value, with intent to sell land at some point (with renewed public attention) if not attracting investors for the vision project.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

See the correct thread here:
https://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20878
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:25 pm This project seems fishy. Two people who haven't really done anything coming out here and proposing a large building seems odd to me. I'll believe it when I see it but I have my doubts. If anyone knows more than me, please share. I want this project to be special, but at this point, it seems to be false.
I would typically agree, but having already purchased two parcels for a substantial amount of money does say something. As does the ability to get a $5M loan overnight.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

While they did get a loan and acquired two parcels of land, that doesn't necessarily show their ability to build a tower. If anything, these people may be frontmen to someone who has enough money to get a project of this type and scope done. Either that or as Earthling said...
...also might be proposing an unrealistically large project as a 'vision' to get out there, squat on the land while hyping its value, with intent to sell land at some point (with renewed public attention) if not attracting investors for the vision project.
I'll wait until renderings, cost, and other details come out. Facts matter. Words on a brand new website do not. This is pretty sketchy in my opinion. I hope to be wrong.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:26 am So should it butt up against P&L building or maybe tier it so W end peaks and leaves a gap for P&L to stand out? That is lowest floors are full plate office/retail, next layer hotel 2/3 of plate against W end and residential top end with maybe 1/3 or so floor plate to W end.

Awaiting normalthings concepts with estimated heights...

It is really too early to put together a good concept.

"The SEC":

Separate tower and parking garage as described in SEC documents. 18k SQFT floor plates on the tower (size of the north lot), 9 office floors, 1 retail lobby floor, 24 hotel-residential floors. ~390 feet total. If you take a 12K SQFT floor plate (one light) for the residential/hotel you shoot up to 510 feet.

With WR and Three Light thrown in..... 3L includes 2 additional floors for the planned unit upsizing and Loews should be a little taller.

"The Dream": Tower over parking. 25k SQFT office floor plates (7 floors), 12K SQFT residential and hotel floor plates - One Light dimensions (15 floors each). 460 feet tall

Liberty Memorial View.. Google Earth exaggerates some things on this perspective.

With WR and Three Light
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I prefer option 2 just because it would make a bigger impact. It's nice to visualize what this could be and I hope the development group proposes something truly great. In this case, I do not expect something tall to be built here if construction were to happen. Maybe a downsized version, much like the original Hyatt Convention Center Hotel proposal compared to Loews.

These massings also make me smile, especially the one showing the skyline from part of the Crossroads. There will surely be more buildings that pop up to fill in the gaps over the next decade. Strata will also show up, so keep that in mind. It's nice to see the progress being made in Kansas City and with cranes in the sky, visitors will see that change is ongoing. As someone who visits KC a lot for family-related reasons, the investments into Downtown and the Crossroads over the past 7 years that I've been coming here are amazing. I can't wait to see what the future holds and maybe one day play into the continued investments by investing myself or moving to KC. Certainly, there is a lot of momentum that has formed.

I wish these developers the best and I hope their project happens but it just seems a bit suspicious.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I just want a design that covers most of the blank walls of the P&L Building (at least to the second setback) and the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thanks for putting together. Ideally building will be on top of garage and agree terraced as shown against Wyandotte rather than up against P&L. Hopefully we get a better feel for credibility of developer to pull this off sooner than later.

If any city incentives involved, the city should require that the hotel is designed in a way to easily convert to residential if the hotel fails, reducing risk of project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

im2kull wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:44 pm See the correct thread here:
https://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20878
Topics merged.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think it would be nice to completely cover the backside of the power and light building. The original architects obviously wanted it covered, or else they would’ve made it more decorated
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:37 am Thanks for putting together. Ideally building will be on top of garage and agree terraced as shown against Wyandotte rather than up against P&L. Hopefully we get a better feel for credibility of developer to pull this off sooner than later.

If any city incentives involved, the city should require that the hotel is designed in a way to easily convert to residential if the hotel fails, reducing risk of project.
Wasn’t part of the Loews deal a bar on city incentives for any hotels nearby?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not much confidence in these developers if they are maintaining a dangerous building demolition site for years. Not good neighbors.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:49 am Not much confidence in these developers if they are maintaining a dangerous building demolition site for years. Not good neighbors.
They purchased it this year. It’s not their fault the site has been like this for so long, it’s just their fault the fence was taken down.