World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:25 pm If KC loses the bid because poor public transit it would be a huge shame.
If won't be the first time.

(1) Dedicated hotel shuttles, running continuously from Airport. Here's the largest hotels in the metro, add in Lowe's in there. Since each hotel would best know when their guests are arriving, they could set up shuttles at the appropriate times. The hotels would need to provide additional funding for more temporary buses to achieve higher LOS.

Kansas City falls behind when it comes to hotel rooms. Interesting to note: the Marriot Convention Center Hotel, Westin, and Sheraton are not advertised specifically in the bid book.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 am There is no rail planning for World Cup, just so you know.
Streetcar to UMKC/Plaza doesn't appear to ever be mentioned in the FIFA Bid Book. Cincinnati, on the other hand, had a big focus on their streetcar, streetcar extensions, Amtrak service, and bike infrastructure. Even our airport transportation page left a lot of details off the table.
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FIFA Fan Fest proposed locations: WW1 Museum and Nelson Atkinson

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I googled the United 2026 bid book. All I can say is that I am disappointed by what we put together.

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/w3yje ... w26wmu.pdf
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

langosta wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm I googled the United 2026 bid book. All I can say is that I am disappointed by what we put together.

I agree. Opening narrative that started with the history lesson on what rivers we were founded by was pretty dry.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 am
langosta wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm I googled the United 2026 bid book. All I can say is that I am disappointed by what we put together.

I agree. Opening narrative that started with the history lesson on what rivers we were founded by was pretty dry.
Our transit page sucked the most. I don’t think we have a chance at winning this anymore.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't understand the hotel stats - 16,000+ rooms in 2026, when current estimates I've seen are around 30K? Are they only looking at 3 stars and up? And that 16,000+ referenced is more than Philly or Denver? Also interesting is that some of the hotels mentions are the team hotels 21c (huh?) and Lowe's, with a 'venue hotel' of Marriott County Club Plaza located in the 'West Plaza area of downtown.'
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

They must be listing city only, which is a mistake. Seems like this was put together by a consulting firm not from KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wow, for a major event, this is one of the most amateurish proposals I have ever seen and it’s sells KC extremely short too. I could have put together a better proposal in thirty minutes. Somebody majorly dropped the ball here. That was just awful.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:37 am They must be listing city only, which is a mistake. Seems like this was put together by a consulting firm not from KC.
I think the hotels listed are “qualifying hotel rooms.” It must have to do with quality and location. Some of the Overland Park hotels are listed so I don’t think it’s KCMO specific.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am Wow, for a major event, this is one of the most amateurish proposals I have ever seen and it’s sells KC extremely short too. I could have put together a better proposal in thirty minutes. Somebody majorly dropped the ball here. That was just awful.
Yeah, It appears this was the bid book that was compiled for a 2018 publish date. I just read through the bid book and the whole thing was pretty bad and full of questionable info.

Under the Transportation section, it listed a travel time from KCI to downtown as 42 minutes, but in Accommodations it listed it as 30. And you can't tell me that all of KC has almost as many quality hotel rooms than Denver and Baltimore combined. But then there is no primer on what those number of rooms mean...downtown? Metro?

And one section lists the population of Atlanta as city proper, while other cities use metro. Also, who in their right minds is handling hotel selection? What is a Team Base Camp Hotel and why is it the OP Marriott while other hotels are downtown/Plaza? And how would you feel about being put up in the Courtyard by Marriott in West Orange NJ when as opposed to the W in Hoboken?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am Wow, for a major event, this is one of the most amateurish proposals I have ever seen and it’s sells KC extremely short too. I could have put together a better proposal in thirty minutes. Somebody majorly dropped the ball here. That was just awful.
I hope that (1) we put together a better and more detailed proposal for KC once the US won the bid (2) the FIFA officials scouting out KC enjoy see the potential and beauty that we see in KC.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I think the free bus initiative will be incredibly beneficial for our chances when it comes to the transit aspect. I think with us having a fair bit of time to prove it being feasible will also be helpful to our chances, will it be enough to win the slot though is the real question..
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:25 am I think the free bus initiative will be incredibly beneficial for our chances when it comes to the transit aspect. I think with us having a fair bit of time to prove it being feasible will also be helpful to our chances, will it be enough to win the slot though is the real question..
A final selection will be announced this year. Business Journal reported an announcement could come by mid-March.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

A workshop will be hosted to help bidders out together a final proposal. Selection group will make 2 final visits to each host city sometime between March and November. A decision will be made in early - 2021. It is possible Chicago and other cities will jump back into the race and any selections must be approved by FIFA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/2026-w ... ssion=true
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:44 pm A workshop will be hosted to help bidders out together a final proposal. Selection group will make 2 final visits to each host city sometime between March and November. A decision will be made in early - 2021. It is possible Chicago and other cities will jump back into the race and any selections must be approved by FIFA.

Chicago declined to submit a bid. Cities that didn't submit a bid won't be allowed to jump back in. Let's hope the KC visits don't happen in March or November - some time after the foliage is out and fountains are on. And maybe a tower crane or two.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am
normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:44 pm A workshop will be hosted to help bidders out together a final proposal. Selection group will make 2 final visits to each host city sometime between March and November. A decision will be made in early - 2021. It is possible Chicago and other cities will jump back into the race and any selections must be approved by FIFA.

Chicago declined to submit a bid. Cities that didn't submit a bid won't be allowed to jump back in. Let's hope the KC visits don't happen in March or November - some time after the foliage is out and fountains are on. And maybe a tower crane or two.
The article said Vancouver and Chicago may jump back in.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am
kcjak wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am

The article said Vancouver and Chicago may jump back in.
It says that like Chicago, Vancouver failed to submit an initial bid, but Vancouver (not Chicago) could jump back in at Edmonton's expense (since Canadian cities only compete against other Canadian cities).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Total Hotel rooms in 2026 (16,000+)

How the hell does Kansas City have more hotel rooms than
Seattle
Philly
Baltimore
Montreal
Denver
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 am Total Hotel rooms in 2026 (16,000+)

How the hell does Kansas City have more hotel rooms than
Seattle
Philly
Baltimore
Montreal
Denver
Someone mentioned that only certain rating of hotels were considered. I’d imagine FIFA wouldn’t really care about those 40 room motel 6’s and the highway Red Roof Inns :lol: