GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

I sure wish they had chosen the Northland for the TSC 50 years ago instead of Eastern Jackson County. We’d be building plans for light rail to the stadium and airport right now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fifty years ago,the only Metro-Missouri county that could afford to finance a stadium was Jackson County. There was a political reason that the stadium was placed closer to Raytown, Blue Springs, and Independence. To get enough Jackson County residents to support it, you needed the support of Eastern Jackson County (non KCMO residents).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Could a citizen petition force a vote on a bistate tax for a new Royals stadium?
At the same time, it is not idle chatter. Because, as it turns out, the original bistate machinery that enabled the reconstruction of Union Station is still in place, able to rumble to life if the Royals — and, for that matter, the Chiefs — decide to push for a public vote on new facilities, in downtown or anywhere else.

Surprise: The Bistate Commission that supervised the $118 million renovation of Union Station still exists, even though the first bistate sales tax went away more than 17 years ago.

The commission, which meets once a year, can’t put a stadium measure on the ballot. But laws that could be used for a bistate proposal are still on the books, authorizing a quarter-cent sales tax that could easily raise more than a billion dollars for baseball and football stadium projects.

There is some fine print. A new bistate tax could be used for stadiums, but not just for stadiums — there would have to be an additional cultural component, such as the arts. And just as it was with the first bistate measure, the tax would have to pass in Jackson and Johnson counties to take effect.

But — and this is crucial — politicians don’t have to act. The law allows citizens to put a stadium tax question on the ballot by petition.
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 00712.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm ^Generally agree. Get free bus going and if it takes hold metro wide, then consider a downtown stadium. Otherwise place to outskirts of downtown, such as at Paseo bridge and Front St.
It would have to be a Sprint center/power and light agreement. And I just don't see the city willing to do that direction.

I'll vote against anything that involves surface parking around it
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The Bistate Commission editorial is interesting because it hints at an underlying assumption that taxpayers will be footing some portion of the bill. I’d have a hard time voting for that.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

how old is the renovation at this point? i mean the stadium is good for a while still, right? also, yeah taxpayers footing the bill for stadia is not exactly en vogue in missouri.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The renovations were '04 and the lease is through '30. I'm of the opinion that it's just fine. They could do a few more renovations to make it last another decade beyond the current end date for the lease.

I used to be for downtown ball, but I just don't have any passion for it like I used to.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Royals complete sale to John Sherman and investment group which includes JE Dunn and Mariner Kemper with UMB along with many more. The list screams, “DT Stadium!”.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am
I used to be for downtown ball, but I just don't have any passion for it like I used to.
Do you have any passion for what the next generation, and beyond, would like to experience?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:34 am Royals complete sale to John Sherman and investment group which includes JE Dunn and Mariner Kemper with UMB along with many more. The list screams, “DT Stadium!”.
Agreed. It is a foregone conclusion now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

StL_Dan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm
Do you have any passion for what the next generation, and beyond, would like to experience?
Better baseball, to start.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

StL_Dan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm
Not if it comes at a high 9-figure cost to tax payers - no.

And it's not like I said I hated downtown baseball. I'm just not willing to spend any money/time worrying about it. If the next generation wants to do it - have at it. I gave it a shot and The Olds told me no.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

John Sherman is talking about a DT Stadium:

https://cityscenekc.com/new-royals-owne ... t-village/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Whenever downtown baseball is suggested on facebook articles 90% of the people complain about parking and talk about never going to a game again
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Hadn't really heard too much about a SW Boulevard site - although I'm sure it was referenced somewhere in the past 550 pages. Interesting idea. Would love for something to be done with that area.

There was a ballpark at SW Boulevard/Summit back in the late 19th century. I'm sure that fact will comfort all the residents of the Westside.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I hate that the north loop location is still getting brought up
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 pm I hate that the north loop location is still getting brought up
Probably because of Commerce Bank's influence on the Downtown Council, who's leading the discussion to keep it out of city hall.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 pm I hate that the north loop location is still getting brought up
Probably because of Commerce Bank's influence on the Downtown Council, who's leading the discussion to keep it out of city hall.
@lastgent I don’t think the public will get much say on location or design if they are to achieve their goal of privately financing the thing.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 amProbably because of Commerce Bank's influence on the Downtown Council, who's leading the discussion to keep it out of city hall.
Could you clarify?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:50 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 am
@lastgent I don’t think the public will get much say on location or design if they are to achieve their goal of privately financing the thing.
Is that their stated goal? I hope it is - just haven't seen Sherman or anyone say it.