shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 pm
flyingember wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 am

spring 2023
No. How long has that escalator been broken? 6 months?
spring 2023
Hah!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 am What is an APM?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:26 am At the airport this morning. Ghost town. Apparently they are saving their pennies on maintenance. Place looks like shit and the escalator to the food court is still broken. How many months now?
No amount of maintenance is going to make that place not look like shit.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

The airport is on the way out. I’m looking forward to having a world class airport sooner rather than later.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

New garage renderings at buildkci.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean they know how to lead with the exciting stuff.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Via the BNIM website

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

These were the ones posted and announced a month ago. Not sure why biz journal is just now reporting it.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Is that a "living" wall that is only going to look good 7 months out of the year?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Guess they dropped the art deco influences talked about earlier in the design process.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:58 pm Guess they dropped the art deco influences talked about earlier in the design process.
I believe those influences will be seen inside the head house
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I’m so absolutely disappointed with the parking structure of this airport. Not only does it not provide safe passageways, either over, or under the roadways, but it absolutely dwarfs the terminal building and leads to a claustrophobic valley between the two structures. I don’t understand why they couldn’t scale back the size of this parking structure and simply add another structure further off, or even go subterranean for a few floors, seeing as that would also allow for pedestrian connectors into the terminal.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am I’m so absolutely disappointed with the parking structure of this airport. Not only does it not provide safe passageways, either over, or under the roadways, but it absolutely dwarfs the terminal building and leads to a claustrophobic valley between the two structures. I don’t understand why they couldn’t scale back the size of this parking structure and simply add another structure further off, or even go subterranean for a few floors, seeing as that would also allow for pedestrian connectors into the terminal.
The parking being more prominent that the terminal more accurately reflects the revenue generated by the airport.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:54 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 am I’m so absolutely disappointed with the parking structure of this airport. Not only does it not provide safe passageways, either over, or under the roadways, but it absolutely dwarfs the terminal building and leads to a claustrophobic valley between the two structures. I don’t understand why they couldn’t scale back the size of this parking structure and simply add another structure further off, or even go subterranean for a few floors, seeing as that would also allow for pedestrian connectors into the terminal.
The parking being more prominent that the terminal more accurately reflects the revenue generated by the airport.
It also reflects the strong community desire to place structured parking as close to the terminal as physically possible.

Other Issues:
  • There is a utility corridor that runs between the garage and the control tower. They couldn't push the garage any farther back is my understanding.
  • Underground parking is extremely expensive
  • Other airports have had problems with severe weather events flooding out basement garage floors. Unlike parking your car at your office garage, air travelers can't move their cars if it looks like the airport garage may flood during their trip.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems pretty typical of all modern terminals I have been to, including the lack of dedicated pedestrian pathways.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:18 am

Looks like the departures level of the head house will be about 30-40 feet tall, arrivals maybe 15-20.
Concourse Connector

Concourse - Hold Rooms + Retail
Looks like the connecter may have about 12-15 feet high ceilings. Hold rooms closer to 15 feet with 18-24 foot pop-ups.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm Seems pretty typical of all modern terminals I have been to, including the lack of dedicated pedestrian pathways.
I agree. In fact, I can't think of any recently built or remodeled airports that deviate from the layout of bi-level arrival/departure areas with structured parking requiring the crossing of traffic lanes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would have appreciated an elevated & covered walkway into the departure level just for general pedestrian safety but I drive to the airport 0% of the time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:18 am Image
I don’t think you’d really be able to fit an elevated walkway in there without the space feeling cramped or claustrophobic. The terminal entry building would need to have a higher roof and widened to offset adding an elevated walk way - adding cost and likely not even possible due to constraints mentioned above.

Regardless, the new terminal is going to split up what is essentially one stream into 3-4 separate ones (arrivals level, departures level, TNC area, buses). That should make it a lot easier to cross from garages to terminal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well yes obviously with the current design we have an elevated walkway wouldn't be possible.