OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm Wadell and Reed’s selection of 14th and Baltimore is official.

WR Rent - $55 sqft per year: $42 sqft + o/m expenses of $13 sqft. iirc, Strata is now hoping to average $32 sqft. This should truly be a trophy property for the region.

Scope - 250k sqft of office

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... cifQ%3D%3D
Project advances to full council next week. The mayor's office supposedly worked with W&R on the deal and is in support. Public commentary was not supportive. However, Ellington did really not ask any dumb questions this time. In fact, I would say his questions were almost good.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Is it customary to release sketches when developers go to council?
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

All buildings on the parcel are being demolished. Also I forgot to mention that rendering shows I-670 as a park... building looks to be about 15 stories and fills most of the parcel.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If we finally get the highway cap, the IBM building will be a worthy sacrifice
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:30 pm Is it customary to release sketches when developers go to council?
It depends when the developers go to council - Copaken did with Strata. In this case, the tenant went to council and is still in the process of selecting a developer. I’d expect that to be what renderings are contingent on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm
missingkc wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:30 pm Is it customary to release sketches when developers go to council?
It depends when the developers go to council - Copaken did with Strata. In this case, the tenant went to council and is still in the process of selecting a developer. I’d expect that to be what renderings are contingent on.
Do I understand this correctly? WR will find a developer who will construct and own the building. WR will lease it for a minimum of 15 years?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 pm
Do I understand this correctly? WR will find a developer who will construct and own the building. WR will lease it for a minimum of 15 years?
Yes. WR has one selected but everything is still being finalized (very close though) per their counsel.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes. WR has one selected but everything is still being finalized (very close though) per their counsel.
Burns & Mac and Financial Holdings Corp. are the developers.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Little surprise that the KC Star is pissing all over the Waddel Reed incentives. An empty lot with a vacant building cannot be making that much of a contribution to the KC tax base.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 50754.html
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm Little surprise that the KC Star is pissing all over the Waddel Reed incentives. An empty lot with a vacant building cannot be making that much of a contribution to the KC tax base.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 50754.html
I’m not surprised that they don’t get the numbers behind this deal. If they were good at finance they wouldn’t be going bankrupt.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Traffic Control Permit was denied on 12/4. It sounds like this was partially due to no planned pedestrian walks.
Denied: Based on City Hall Meeting on 12/04/2019, provide updated traffic control drawings and updated closure times which include two-way directional traffic for surrounding streets and 5' wide pedestrian walkways for demolition phase of project. Burns and McDonnell - 1400 Baltimore
New Traffic Control Permit was filed on 12/5.
Closing parking lane and sidewalk on NB Wyandotte from 14th St to 170' South building a covered sidewalk in the parking lane for pedestrian traffic.

Closing parking lane, sidewalk, and part of EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore splitting traffic in WB with one direction each way with 12' lanes for traffic and building a covered walkway for pedestrian traffic in the parking lane of EB 14th

Closing parking lane and sidewalk on SB Baltimore from 14th to Truman building a covered walkway for pedestrian traffic in the parking lane of Baltimore pushing SB traffic into NB splitting NB one direction each way with 2 12' lanes for traffic

Start Date: 12/09/2019
End Date: 02/01/2020
Pre-Demolition Permit Inspection from this week notes a need for sidewalk closure permit before demo can proceed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Push me over with a feather.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I hope they are covering the face with anything besides glass that matches the Light buildings...and no fake limestone panels either. Make it stand out a bit please!!

Also, I really hope this garage podium is not exposed to the sidewalk. I would have to see a dead zone all around the block, especially facing the Power and Light lobby!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It will be the ugliest artificial yellowish tan panels and they'll mix in blue glass and brick veeneer just to mess with people
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

It’d be quite easy to have the garage entry off of Wyandotte and, given the grade change, leave 14th and Baltimore as active use of either retail or lobby.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am It’d be quite easy to have the garage entry off of Wyandotte and, given the grade change, leave 14th and Baltimore as active use of either retail or lobby.
Keep in mind Wyandotte is frequently closed because of conventions. The city would need to be willing to change their processes here before it's seen as easy to do.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Wyandotte’s closure policy is going to have to be modified anyway given that they located the hotel Porte Cochere and one of the garage entries off of it. Given how the city has bent over backwards for W& R with incentives, I’m not sure why they’d fight them on a Wyandotte garage entry if they wanted it.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The development plan permit for the Waddell & Reed HQ went into Compass today. Unfortunately, no attachments or rendering yet...

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've asked before but never get an answer. Anybody know if companies.csn post attachments but not have them publicly visible? If so who decided if that is allowed?
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Well the anticipation better be worth it! "skyline changing"