OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by smh »

kenrbnj wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:25 am The redevelopment of this block is crucial to assure continuity between the new hotel and P&L district.

If you were alone, at 11PM; would you consider walking down Baltimore Avenue from P&L to the hotel?

The fact the IBM building is abandoned -- with a crappy streetscape? Put a belgian in the boiler room.
Agree with KCP, you need to get out more. Sure the IBM building would better with life in it, but it is a pretty weak argument that this single block, bookended thriving apartments and hotels is somehow so sketchy that people will avoid walking it. Silliness.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You are also assuming that the IBM Building couldn't be renovated for a smaller firm, and have a new structure wrapped around it on the remaining block which wouldn't have to be a tower.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm You are also assuming that the IBM Building couldn't be renovated for a smaller firm, and have a new structure wrapped around it on the remaining block which wouldn't have to be a tower.
Which, perhaps that's what is going to happen....
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm You are also assuming that the IBM Building couldn't be renovated for a smaller firm, and have a new structure wrapped around it on the remaining block which wouldn't have to be a tower.
I would think that would add quite a bit of complexity to the construction process.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No more complex than building Town Pavilon next to the Boley and Harzfeld buildings.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If we can’t build next to existing buildings then we have some problems
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm No more complex than building Town Pavilon next to the Boley and Harzfeld buildings.
Except that these parcels are on different levels.

I’m not saying this isn’t possible - I just don’t think they gain much if anything for the additional cost and complexity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you remove the parking garage and then take down that rock outcropping behind it, you would have a level L-shaped site. One could do that without disturbing the old IBM Building. One could have built the old Power & Light Tower on its' footprint on the west side of that parcel and not disturbed the IBM Building.

https://tinyurl.com/vkep85f

The IBM Building probably needs to go so they can build more parking garage space.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why Waddell & Reed would chose a site next to the interstate trench as opposed to say several other prime sites. It's not even a site where they could have exposed signage atop their building,since it would be blocked in most directions. Maybe they don't intend signage.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm I’m not saying this isn’t possible - I just don’t think they gain much if anything for the additional cost and complexity.
Especially when the defining features of the IBM building are easily recreated or referenced to in a modern design. Spandrel grid glazing, slanted canopies, and stacked stone ain’t exactly rare or expensive to build new.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll miss the building if it does go. That said, it’s tough for a building like that to prove its worth to a developer/business owner.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm I’m not saying this isn’t possible - I just don’t think they gain much if anything for the additional cost and complexity.
Don’t get me wrong I’ll miss the building if it does go. That said, it’s tough for a building like that to prove its worth to a developer/business owner.
And yet two similarly-sized office buildings have gone up in the last couple of years.

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

It’s not just a massing or square footage issue. It’s about fitting parking on the site (unfortunately), modern building code retrofit requirements, remediation costs, structural layouts, ceiling clearances, on and on.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

I've seen a rendering on this, initial look is that it looks interesting. Some stacking elements to it similar to how Strata is massed. Car entrance looks to be on Baltimore, some rooftop terraces. Also, not much engagement along I-670. Overall I think it looks like a positive addition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am I've seen a rendering on this, initial look is that it looks interesting. Some stacking elements to it similar to how Strata is massed. Car entrance looks to be on Baltimore, some rooftop terraces. Also, not much engagement along I-670. Overall I think it looks like a positive addition.
Still 15 floors? If so, is the taller side on Wyandotte?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

jasty5 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am I've seen a rendering on this, initial look is that it looks interesting. Some stacking elements to it similar to how Strata is massed. Car entrance looks to be on Baltimore, some rooftop terraces. Also, not much engagement along I-670. Overall I think it looks like a positive addition.
I imagine we won’t hear more until incentives get approved. Does anyone know what the status is with those?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:47 pm If you remove the parking garage and then take down that rock outcropping behind it, you would have a level L-shaped site. One could do that without disturbing the old IBM Building. One could have built the old Power & Light Tower on its' footprint on the west side of that parcel and not disturbed the IBM Building.
Permits show that the IBM building is going.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 955d30864
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

R.I.P
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Wadell and Reed’s selection of 14th and Baltimore is official.

WR Rent - $55 sqft per year: $42 sqft + o/m expenses of $13 sqft. iirc, Strata is now hoping to average $32 sqft. This should truly be a trophy property for the region.

Scope - 250k sqft of office

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... cifQ%3D%3D
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Looking forward to a rendering of this project. At the moment I feel strangely unmoved when I feel like I should be very excited for downtown office development.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I agree. Release the rendering!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

3 new office towers going up next to each other should surely drive leasing at Three and Four Light.