OFFICIAL - Buck O'Neil Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: New Broadway Bridge

Post by shinatoo »

I would have been much more excited about spending that money on street infrastructure and a flat slab bridge with bike/pedestrian lanes. Really hate that outstate interests have such control over what happens in our city.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Those renderings showing the placement of the new 35 to 69 flyovers lead me to think that they are going to be a more important aesthetic concern of everyday life than the river span. They will tower over all the remaining buildings in that area. Our version of the gateway to the West are freeway ramps. Should some special design attention be called for here rather than the usual? At least tint the concrete of the pylons carrying the road decks?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't get this project. Why is it such a priority to have high speed traffic moving between I-35 and 169? Why not just build a new bridge along the same alignment that has much improved pedestrian access a dedicated bicycle and pedestrian segment on the bridge structure. The bridge structure should be something other than a boring girder bridge too. Another Heart of America Bridge really suck IMO. You run high speed traffic from 169 to the west loop and all you are going to do is create a bottleneck on the west loop because it can't handle much more volume than it already does. Then people will want to widen that.

Broadway/169 should simply convert to a street downtown and remove access to the interstate all together. If you want to go 65mph through Downtown, then take 35/29 and go around the south loop. Keep 169 for direct access to downtown. Make the east and south loop the main through freeway turn the west and north loop into non freeway or get rid of them all together.

I thought the ultimate idea was to get rid of the north loop or take it down to a parkway or something. The preliminary plans for the new bridge are just awful, a huge step back IMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting thoughts. 169 backs up now with a lot of traffic wanting to go around downtown so why not make that connection happen without stop lights and still provide easy downtown access? The only plan that will allow for removal of the north loop.id making that connection.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am Interesting thoughts. 169 backs up now with a lot of traffic wanting to go around downtown so why not make that connection happen without stop lights and still provide easy downtown access? The only plan that will allow for removal of the north loop.id making that connection.
Much better idea than designing the bridge around the priority to have a direct connection to 35, which it seems like they are doing. I still think you should remove access to the interstate all together. If you want to go that way, then you will just have to drive on surface streets and get back on 35 some place else. God knows, downtown KC could use a little more cars on them since 95% of the roads in downtown KC have almost no use at all. But this idea would be a runner up IMO, build the bridge as a downtown bridge first prioritizing pedestrian and cycling access and build a dedicated spur off the bridge for 35 south traffic.

But then how to you fix the 35 N to NB 169 without suburbanizing downtown with a bunch of ramps and flyovers or huge signalized intersections? You can't really. Remove the connection to the interstate. Concentrate on running through traffic around the east and south legs of the loop, get rid of most exits and make one or two major exits for downtown using some of the underutilized roads. I know that won't happen, but that's what should happen. All these plans are just making the freeway system around downtown even larger and more intrusive to the urban environment than it already is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is no connection to the interstate now and it snot s good situation. Why not get that traffic out of the intersection and get people wanting to go around downtown getting around asap?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would like to see a hybrid of all ideas... fewer exits, seamlessly tie RM to CBD, bury loop as a downtown bypass for through traffic without downtown destination (and there's a big chunk of that). And B Bridge is a lot of bypass traffic as well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm There is no connection to the interstate now and it snot s good situation. Why not get that traffic out of the intersection and get people wanting to go around downtown getting around asap?
That would be fine as long a the main bridge is lined up with broadway. The last thing downtown KC needs is more high speed flyover ramps and limited access bridges. Broadway is really the only street in downtown KC that even has some traffic on it that makes it feel like a true downtown urban street and even it's not a very busy street for a downtown of a large city. You cut off broadway from 169 like some of those plans will do and you will chop off one of the only streets in downtown that actually goes someplace.

I just think Broadway should be the first priority, not interstate 35 commuters. But that's my opinion.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm There is no connection to the interstate now and it snot s good situation. Why not get that traffic out of the intersection and get people wanting to go around downtown getting around asap?
That would be fine as long a the main bridge is lined up with broadway. The last thing downtown KC needs is more high speed flyover ramps and limited access bridges. Broadway is really the only street in downtown KC that even has some traffic on it that makes it feel like a true downtown urban street and even it's not a very busy street for a downtown of a large city. You cut off broadway from 169 like some of those plans will do and you will chop off one of the only streets in downtown that actually goes someplace.

I just think Broadway should be the first priority, not interstate 35 commuters. But that's my opinion.
You need to actually take the Broadway extension in the morning. We want to NOT want to line up the bridge with it.

It's not I-35 commuters. It's also I-70 commuters. The inside lane of the bridge backs up to the airport because of people trying to turn left off Broadway at 6th. Broadway flows so badly in the afternoon that there's historically been police to stop traffic at certain garages so people can get out. I've seen NB backups from 5th all the way to 14th in the afternoon. It's probably the single worst traffic downtown at peak and not because there's too many cars to/from downtown.

Broadway users will benefit hugely by removing the thousands of cars away from those lights so people who live and work along it can get around better.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would like to propose we get onboard with the Da Vinci Bridge Project and build this as the replacement for the new Broadway Bridge.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170111002 ... ct.org:80/
https://www.iflscience.com/technology/l ... ve-worked/

The design would rule out any interference with flight paths, and frankly, it's beautiful and actually iconic.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

MODOT has a barge out doing borings for the new bridge.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Are they hiring in the area nobody wants them to align the bridge?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The Port might have just been the most convenient docking point. It's possible they floated east towards the current bridge.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Any renderings?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 am Any renderings?
I think it’s all geotechnical work for now.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think I have seen renderings...here they are

---------------------------
....|..,.... |........ |
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 am
Riverite wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 am Any renderings?
I think it’s all geotechnical work for now.
Which is needed to identify the basic design, lest we end up with something like this

bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Just saw this tweet from the mayor: https://twitter.com/MayorLucasKC/status ... 7590578177
Mayor Quinton Lucas
@MayorLucasKC

BREAKING: @GovParsonMO
just announced during his #MissouriSOTS that Missouri will rebuild the Buck O'Neil Bridge. This is great news for our community and for those who have advocated for this project for years.

3:58 PM · Jan 15, 2020
I haven't found any further details on what exactly that means.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fingers crossed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm Fingers crossed
Price Tag: $100 million

MARC: $40 million
KCMO and MO to split the rest.

So really this is cutting down the project so that MO State doesn't have to pay their share. :(

IIRC, all of the proposals involved a sizable interchange around I35. Ideally, this shoots straight into I35 with no oversized interchange.