Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm
A downtown stadium is a lot farther along than is advertised.
Yes, it sounds like things are moving....quickly

Riverite
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by Riverite »

Once it’s officially announced, it should jumpstart building in paseo west

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:25 pm
normalthings wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm
A downtown stadium is a lot farther along than is advertised.
Yes, it sounds like things are moving....quickly
Let’s not forget that the East Village is an opportunity zone. This will make it somewhat easier for the new owners to privately finance this stadium. It’s my understanding that an investor will need to invest in an Opportunity Fund by the end of 2019 to exclude 15% of capital gains or by the end of 2021 for 10%.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6479
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by shinatoo »

langosta wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:11 am
TheLastGentleman wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:25 pm
normalthings wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:33 pm
A downtown stadium is a lot farther along than is advertised.
Yes, it sounds like things are moving....quickly
Let’s not forget that the East Village is an opportunity zone. This will make it somewhat easier for the new owners to privately finance this stadium. It’s my understanding that an investor will need to invest in an Opportunity Fund by the end of 2019 to exclude 15% of capital gains or by the end of 2021 for 10%.
MLB used to provide interest free loans for new stadiums. Is that no longer the case?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by earthling »

There are several threads discussing topic as a tangent, time for a dedicated one. Even though no hard proposal the Royals' owner seems seriously interested. And E Village seems to be gaining momentum.

https://cityscenekc.com/new-royals-owne ... t-village/

Image

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8295
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by flyingember »

See the existing dedicated thread

https://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19648

moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4390
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: Mount Hope

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by moderne »

The Southwest Blvd site is almost completely isolated from the street grid and not even walkable to Crossroads. All it would offer over the sports complex is a great view of DT. Although, the name of Baby Doe's Stadium is intriguing. Wouldn't want it to slide off the undermined hill like that legendary restaurant. I know the state line runs somewhere through there, perhaps a real possibility for a bi-state project.

dakkottadavviss
Surface Lot
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:51 pm

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dakkottadavviss »

The southwest boulevard site doesn’t look super promising. I don’t think there’s enough there to make a move from the K worth it. It’s like a mile away from the crossroads streetcar stop. A ballpark there would be too far from downtown to take advantage of all of the existing parking infrastructure. A ballpark there would have to be surrounded by parking lots just like the Truman Sports Complex.

The East Village site is looking extremely likely at this point. It has a willing developer, excess land for spinoff development, and is close enough to downtown to take advantage of existing infrastructure (parking, transit, bars/restaurants). The site doesn’t have a stellar skyline view or anything. But we won’t be getting that unless someone bulldozes a handful of blocks in the crossroads for the new ballpark.
Last edited by dakkottadavviss on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

If it happens, it'll be east village. The land is effectively banked and all the key people are involved there already.

The only neighborhood that wouldn't face extensive local opposition too.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'd be very surprised to see it go anywhere else.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by kboish »

Agreed. EV seems to have the most stars aligned to moved forward.

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by taxi »

If the stadium is built there, can we change the name of the neighborhood? East Village is stupid. Who came up with that shit? The same person who came up with "SoLo"?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 30058
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

I really thought with Commerce banking the north loop and being a lifelong Royals sponsor it was going to end up there but yeah sounds like EsOa (East of Oak...lol?)

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Nyc-based names can be pretty cheesy, and calling something East Village is about as bad as you can get. Maybe call it something like East Park, assuming the stadium indeed goes there

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2748
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by kboish »

Even East Loop would be better. Or we could call it “The Lots” as an homage to the historic parking lots that will be destroyed to make way for the development.

Plus it fits with a ball park being like a sandlot.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

Lol

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14517
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

Yes, east village is a retarded name, especially for an area that is nothing but a few buildings and parking lots. lol

But my question is this. Is this stadium thing even a real topic? Every single thing I see online on any social media or local media (kc star, tv news etc) to just bombarded with comments from people that HATE the idea of a downtown stadium. This is a hot topic when it comes up and draws lots of comments and like 90% of them on any platform sound like a bunch of country bumkin people that are scared to go within 10 miles of downtown.

Regardless if you are for a stadium or not, reading those comments makes me embarrassed to be a KC expat. You could say that it's just the vocal minority like the KCI airport crowd? I hope so, but right now, I think that at least 80% of sports fans in KC hate the idea of a downtown stadium.

So if it does happen, is it going to happen without a public vote and be funded with private money?

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8295
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Yes, east village is a retarded name, especially for an area that is nothing but a few buildings and parking lots. lol
the name was from the proposed development. the name doesn't predate the idea of doing a single project in that part of downtown

So the east village refers to a collection of buildings from a project that's not happening. It stuck for the part of town since then

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14517
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

flyingember wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm
GRID wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Yes, east village is a retarded name, especially for an area that is nothing but a few buildings and parking lots. lol
the name was from the proposed development. the name doesn't predate the idea of doing a single project in that part of downtown

So the east village refers to a collection of buildings from a project that's not happening. It stuck for the part of town since then
I know, but even if developed, it will not be anything like the real East Village. At least come up with something original. Not really sure that downtown needs 12 different "neighborhoods" anyway especially with manufactured names. Downtown KC is not that big. It's basically the government district if anything. Why can't people say they live in the Government District? It needs residents.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8295
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by flyingember »

GRID wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 pm
flyingember wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm
GRID wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Yes, east village is a retarded name, especially for an area that is nothing but a few buildings and parking lots. lol
the name was from the proposed development. the name doesn't predate the idea of doing a single project in that part of downtown

So the east village refers to a collection of buildings from a project that's not happening. It stuck for the part of town since then
I know, but even if developed, it will not be anything like the real East Village. At least come up with something original. Not really sure that downtown needs 12 different "neighborhoods" anyway especially with manufactured names. Downtown KC is not that big. It's basically the government district if anything. Why can't people say they live in the Government District? It needs residents.
Names also not original in KC: Downtown.

Downtown Kansas City is not anything like the real downtown <whichever city first used the name>

There's government staff in around 20 blocks of downtown. Downtown is almost 900 blocks of space. So the government takes up maybe 2-3% of downtown

Post Reply