Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Three Light

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm

smh wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am
FangKC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:23 am
It's amazing to me that Truman Road (facing a freeway trench) will eventually be lined with new buildings from Wyandotte to Oak, and we can't get entire blocks along Grand redeveloped.
I hope this might change as the Embassy Suites in the old Fed comes online along with the Wyndham at the Scarritt. Those two projects will go a long way to drawing development to Grand, imho. But of course there is the continued problem of most of the parking lots being owned by a handful of companies, not all of whom are necessarily keen to develop them because they're used for employee parking.
Is the embassy suites even being worked on anymore? Granted i rarely go by there, but i see nothing.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3360
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Three Light

Post by smh » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:19 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm
smh wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am
FangKC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:23 am
It's amazing to me that Truman Road (facing a freeway trench) will eventually be lined with new buildings from Wyandotte to Oak, and we can't get entire blocks along Grand redeveloped.
I hope this might change as the Embassy Suites in the old Fed comes online along with the Wyndham at the Scarritt. Those two projects will go a long way to drawing development to Grand, imho. But of course there is the continued problem of most of the parking lots being owned by a handful of companies, not all of whom are necessarily keen to develop them because they're used for employee parking.
Is the embassy suites even being worked on anymore? Granted i rarely go by there, but i see nothing.
I believe so? There are workers on site and dumpsters.

DColeKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:11 pm

langosta wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:48 am
I really hope this building includes a sizable architectural lighting budget. It needs to at least replace the HR Block lights that are going to be blocked. Hopefully it features something even grander. One and Two Light have no sort of stand out lighting feature.
I don’t know if what you’re referring to on the H&R building would be considered a lighting installation. It is essentially a low resolution LED screen that hasn’t been working 100% for a few years. Two Light features a high resolution LED screen and 3L will most likely feature one as well.

About the only lighting feature of 1/2 light is the fact they change the color of the signs here and there.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Three Light

Post by langosta » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 pm

DColeKC wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:11 pm
langosta wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:48 am
I really hope this building includes a sizable architectural lighting budget. It needs to at least replace the HR Block lights that are going to be blocked. Hopefully it features something even grander. One and Two Light have no sort of stand out lighting feature.
I don’t know if what you’re referring to on the H&R building would be considered a lighting installation. It is essentially a low resolution LED screen that hasn’t been working 100% for a few years. Two Light features a high resolution LED screen and 3L will most likely feature one as well.

About the only lighting feature of 1/2 light is the fact they change the color of the signs here and there.
Yes, the HR video wall. It doesn’t look amazing up close but it helps to light up the area and it looks nice from a distance. I really like the way it lights up the skyline when looking North from the Crossroads or Liberty Memorial. 1/2 Lights color changing signs aren’t that bright nor colorful.

Something that I think differentiates KC from similar cities is that most of our buildings light up at night. Hopefully, Three and Four Light will further that.

Below is an evening picture of the Wiltshire Grand in L.A. by Korean Air. This sort of lighting would look great on Strata or 3/4 Light Tower.

Image

Chris Stritzel
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm
Location: St. Louis/Kansas City

Re: Three Light

Post by Chris Stritzel » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Highlander wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 pm
That is the one aspect of the location I don't like. Together with Two Light, they will present a large glass wall to anybody approaching downtown from the south from the Crossroads. The closer to downtown the observer is, the more they will dominate the skyline blocking views of everything behind.

It would be best if they could orient the building north-south along Main leaving the eastern portion of the block low rise so the HR Block building could still be seen from the south. This would require building Three Light over the top of BRGR and Kill Devil which should not be a huge issue. Stratus will go above Yard House so it can be done.
The difference between building Strata on top of Yard House and other things compared to building Three Light above BRGR and Kill Devil all falls on practicality. BRGR's building wasn't constructed with future highrise construction in mind like Strata's building. This can be easily seen on Google Earth when looking at the roof of BRGR. No support beams are sticking up. In order to construct a building over BRGR, it would have to be cantilevered or the businesses would have to close while foundations are added in. That would require the demolition of the existing building along with revenue from rent. Canitlevering is an option, but you can't go very far without pushing the limits.

While your idea isn't a bad one, it just isn't doable without significant engineering and design challenges. Plus, the price to build would go up substantially.

If Three Light's design remains as is, it will present a visual difference to Two Light in both height and glass. Recent renderings show slightly darker glass or maybe even a different shade of glass. Along with the replacement of "THREE" with "3" helps differentiate them visually. The final result should be something that adds to the skyline without being too boring. It shows progress even though that means covering up a portion of the skyline. I'm grateful the KC Skyline isn't faceless like other cities in America and Canada. A few glass buildings will not make it faceless.

Basically, this is a bit more in-depth than what Normal Things said, but I'm sure you get the point.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Three Light

Post by Highlander » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 am

Makes sense. So is the indentation on the west side of the Yard House block part of the plan for the construction of Strata. Is that an elevator shaft just to the west of that?

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:33 am

Highlander wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 am
Makes sense. So is the indentation on the west side of the Yard House block part of the plan for the construction of Strata. Is that an elevator shaft just to the west of that?
The area on the west side behind the gates without any structure is where the car hole/ garage ramps will go. To the east of that you can see a sorta grey box which I believe is the start of an elevator core. The lobby will go directly east of “indent” on main street. The evenly spaced grey ish boxes on the roof are the tops of pre-built columns.

The few floor red UMB building was supposedly built with the foundations and columns to build a tower.

BCBS Illinois built their “new” HQ to support a second phase tower on top. They came back about 10 years later to roughly double the height of their HQ.
Image

DColeKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Highlander wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 am
Makes sense. So is the indentation on the west side of the Yard House block part of the plan for the construction of Strata. Is that an elevator shaft just to the west of that?
Yes, it has been a few years since I was in there but that's a elevator shaft and pit that goes down about 12feet into the ground. Oddly, the entire space was completely sealed up organically and we had to open it at one point in order to fix something. We considered using it for storage, but the hole/door we created wasn't large enough and there's a large step down into the room. Nice and high ceilings as well.

I've drawn the space below over a google earth image. You can barely see the small access door next to what use to the loading dock door. Also below you can see the black space on Main that will be the lobby entrance.

Image
Image

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:24 am

DColeKC wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm
Highlander wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 am
Makes sense. So is the indentation on the west side of the Yard House block part of the plan for the construction of Strata. Is that an elevator shaft just to the west of that?
Yes, it has been a few years since I was in there but that's a elevator shaft and pit that goes down about 12feet into the ground. Oddly, the entire space was completely sealed up organically and we had to open it at one point in order to fix something. We considered using it for storage, but the hole/door we created wasn't large enough and there's a large step down into the room. Nice and high ceilings as well.

I've drawn the space below over a google earth image. You can barely see the small access door next to what use to the loading dock door. Also below you can see the black space on Main that will be the lobby entrance.

Image
Image
The space has always felt too small to me to serve as the lobby for an office building of this size. Would Copaken be able to buy and incorporate the empty retail space next door?

DColeKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:05 am

normalthings wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:24 am
DColeKC wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm
Highlander wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:28 am
Makes sense. So is the indentation on the west side of the Yard House block part of the plan for the construction of Strata. Is that an elevator shaft just to the west of that?
Yes, it has been a few years since I was in there but that's a elevator shaft and pit that goes down about 12feet into the ground. Oddly, the entire space was completely sealed up organically and we had to open it at one point in order to fix something. We considered using it for storage, but the hole/door we created wasn't large enough and there's a large step down into the room. Nice and high ceilings as well.

I've drawn the space below over a google earth image. You can barely see the small access door next to what use to the loading dock door. Also below you can see the black space on Main that will be the lobby entrance.

Image
Image
The space has always felt too small to me to serve as the lobby for an office building of this size. Would Copaken be able to buy and incorporate the empty retail space next door?
Yes and most likely will. Honestly, there’s plenty of space as is. I’m not sure you’ve been in the One Light lobby but this space is larger.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Three Light

Post by normalthings » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Per KC Business Journal:
One Light is 96% leased, and Two Light is 97% leased, according to Benjamin, and the towers are seeing rent growth.
Extreme low vacancies and increasing rents is a good sign for 3 and 4 Light.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5500
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Three Light

Post by earthling » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm

"Each tower has been triggered by leasing in the previous buildings, meaning that once Three Light is complete and stabilized in the market, the company then would look to the possibility of building Four Light."

Seems to imply they may not start Four Light until seeing how Three Light leases go.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... uture.html

Post Reply