OFFICIAL - Waddell & Reed - 14th & Baltimore

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by moderne »

I will miss that rocky limestone outcrop on the SW corner of the block looming over Truman north. It reminds me of the Tarpeian Rock on the Capitoline Hill in Rome.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

1. Could we get this all moved to a new “Waddell & Reed HQ Tower” thread?

2. This project looks like it will go up fast. Hopefully, Strata is not too far behind.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Two big things I'm looking to understand in this project:

1. How will it interact with the street particularly because it will have faces on 3 sides.
1a. Are parking entrances minimized both in number and size?
1b. Is any ground floor retail included?

2. How will parking be accessed?
2a. What impact will parking for this tower have on future plans to cap the loop?
2b. How is 14th Street impacted. 14th Street is frequently a mess during Sprint Center events due to a combination of Google Maps and street closure at Main.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How it interacts with 670 will be a big clue on a future cap.

14th Street is a true mess that needs addressing
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm 1. Could we get this all moved to a new “Waddell & Reed HQ Tower” thread?
Yeah, it's time.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Waddell & Reed now appears to be advancing rather quickly. Frantze said the company hopes to have the lease with a developer executed within two to three weeks. Should that happen, it hopes to have preliminary design work completed by the end of this year, with preliminary site work or demolition starting in the first quarter.
This was in an October 23rd Business Journal article. However, these permits make it sound like things are going faster than they projected.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pmCould we get this all moved to a new “Waddell & Reed HQ Tower” thread?
We should only give threads to buildings that are 15 stories or more. &
ChilipepKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ChilipepKC »

A shame this building is being demolished. I always thought it was a great candidate for a thoughtful renovation, especially with its mid-century aesthetic. While I’m all for new development, we should be holding on to the these types of buildings, especially given the environmental considerations of tearing down and building new. There are plenty of vacant sites in the loop for a bland glass skyscraper.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ChilipepKC wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:05 am A shame this building is being demolished. I always thought it was a great candidate for a thoughtful renovation, especially with its mid-century aesthetic. While I’m all for new development, we should be holding on to the these types of buildings, especially given the environmental considerations of tearing down and building new. There are plenty of vacant sites in the loop for a bland glass skyscraper.
On the brightside, this is the last empty parking lot/abandoned buildings in the south loop to get a redevelopment plan in place.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Signage is on site now for the imminent road closures.

Geotech drills, dumpsters, and other equipment is on site.

Fire hydrant has a connection use with a demolition dust control water hose(at least that is what I’ve used it for).

Last edited by normalthings on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Does anyone have renderings of what this will actually look like?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 pm Does anyone have renderings of what this will actually look like?
Not public yet but they do exist privately.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 pmNot public yet but they do exist privately.
Have you seen them? Can you describe anything?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I know someone who has and he says that he saw it but didn't go into details. I tried getting more info out of him but he left me on read.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:55 am Permits Filed:

Pre-Demolition: Demolition of abandoned 4 story office building (1400 Baltimore "IBM Building"); Demolition of a 3 story parking garage with offices on first floor (1414 Baltimore)

Hauling: START DATE: 05-Dec-2019 END DATE: 07-Feb-2020; 475 cubic yards

Traffic Control: EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore, SB Wyandotte from 14th to 16th, SB Baltimore from 14th to Truman Rd, Start Date - 12/03/2019; End Date - 02/01/2022

Water Service Kill: 4" Main, Kill Water Service at Main

Water Pipeline Excavation: 1" KILL @ MAIN, Start Date: 11/14/2019; End Date: 02/14/2020
I walked past the area today. It looks like the water shut off work has started. Wyandotte was being torn up and pipes were about but I forgot to take a photo.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder what will happen with the rock face?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:55 am Permits Filed:

Traffic Control: EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore, SB Wyandotte from 14th to 16th, SB Baltimore from 14th to Truman Rd, Start Date - 12/03/2019; End Date - 02/01/2022
A new traffic control permit was filed after a meeting with public works. It looks like TC will now be done in multiple phases as demolition and construction progress. The demolition traffic control info. is below.

Project: Burns and McDonnell 1400 Baltimore
Reason for Permit: Demo of building

Other Comments: Closing EB 14th from Wyandotte to Baltimore and closing sidewalks on the West side of Baltimore from Truman to 14th and on the East side of Wyandotte from Truman to 14th.

Start Date: 12/05/2019
End Date: 01/31/2020
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

And we still haven't gotten a rendering.....
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

The redevelopment of this block is crucial to assure continuity between the new hotel and P&L district.

If you were alone, at 11PM; would you consider walking down Baltimore Avenue from P&L to the hotel?

The fact the IBM building is abandoned -- with a crappy streetscape? Put a belgian in the boiler room.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Uhh yes.