OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

The current switch at Union Station will be replaced with a new one in the Pershing intersection. That US switch is a piece of crap that can hobble the entire system when it fails. Value engineering!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm The current switch at Union Station will be replaced with a new one in the Pershing intersection. That US switch is a piece of crap that can hobble the entire system when it fails. Value engineering!
Curious: Will these be bidirectional (crisscross) switches or one direction like the one at US is now?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:43 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm The current switch at Union Station will be replaced with a new one in the Pershing intersection. That US switch is a piece of crap that can hobble the entire system when it fails. Value engineering!
Curious: Will these be bidirectional (crisscross) switches or one direction like the one at US is now?
One direction per the drawings. Criss Cross is likely too pricey for the limited value that it provides.

Maybe it would have happened if it was a center running system.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the one direction can do the job though given the streetcar can go either direction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 pm the one direction can do the job though given the streetcar can go either direction.
Just seems it would be faster than passing the change, turning around and “backing” into the turn. Also, would a crisscross switch better allow for an easier turn if we get an E-W extension (however unlikely) in the future? Thinking mostly about 39th St.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:26 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 pm the one direction can do the job though given the streetcar can go either direction.
Just seems it would be faster than passing the change, turning around and “backing” into the turn. Also, would a crisscross switch better allow for an easier turn if we get an E-W extension (however unlikely) in the future? Thinking mostly about 39th St.
I would imagine that a 39th street line would turn around at the KU Med Center terminus and not main street.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 am I would imagine that a 39th street line would turn around at the KU Med Center terminus and not main street.
39th line would go back and forth, but you have to get cars to switch between the two, if only to get maintenance at the yard or for demand adjustments, a crisscross could have an integrated turn.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:05 am I would imagine that a 39th street line would turn around at the KU Med Center terminus and not main street.
39th line would go back and forth, but you have to get cars to switch between the two, if only to get maintenance at the yard or for demand adjustments, a crisscross could have an integrated turn.
Below is the typical solution to that problem.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That model is of course like what Chicago has for the loop on the NW corner.

If the transfers are only when going back to the barn can do the same thing and add crossovers that allow trains to change direction on the same line.

You just need two turns and three crossovers for full movement to/from every direction, all ten options are served
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm
kboish wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm
pash wrote:
What lawsuit? DeJanes's lawsuit to stop the streetcar's expansion? Or did somebody finally file a lawsuit about DeJane's use of the ATA's land that I missed?
From the "Streetcar Opposition" thread:
DaveKCMO wrote:relevant:

Case #1716-CV02051

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/base/welcome.do
Hint: ATA is suing DeJanes
Long followup.
There's no judgement information but she filed an appeal in Jan 2019. So she clearly lost.

The appeal is case WD82459

At this point KCATA has an extention for their filing until July

So the original petition was filed against her in Jan 2017 and the case is still working it's way through the courts 2.5 years later.
The appeal is still going. Last week the KCATA requested oral arguments be rescheduled, it was supposed to be heard next week.

The case was originally filed Jan 24, 2017. So we're at two years 10 months into this lawsuit.
To put that in perspective the downtown line had its official groundbreaking May 22, 2014 and it opened for business May 6, 2016.

We should all thank the KCATA for putting so much money into lawyers to maintain the integrity of the trail for the future.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think we should name one of the new stops after her.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Sidenote: Someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned that DeJanes was hosting a meeting to give advice on the recent property tax increases and how to pay under duress. I responded that I couldn't believe she was still getting press (she was also interviewed on KSHB) after she had illegally expanded her property onto city property and basically claimed squatter's rights when contacted by the city. People said they didn't care because she did pro bono work for neighbors or that one bad deed doesn't make someone 'bad' or that I needed to 'move on' and it wasn't like she robbed a bank. :x
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcjak wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:39 am Sidenote: Someone on the Nextdoor app mentioned that DeJanes was hosting a meeting to give advice on the recent property tax increases and how to pay under duress. I responded that I couldn't believe she was still getting press (she was also interviewed on KSHB) after she had illegally expanded her property onto city property and basically claimed squatter's rights when contacted by the city. People said they didn't care because she did pro bono work for neighbors or that one bad deed doesn't make someone 'bad' or that I needed to 'move on' and it wasn't like she robbed a bank. :x
Saw that too. She is stealing from the taxpayers with her land grab and frivolous lawsuits.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

taxi wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 am I think we should name one of the new stops after her.
Perhaps when the ATA wins court costs from her, they can set aside some of that funding for public restrooms and name them after her.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

This is just egregious...

City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Also, adverse possession isn't possible against public property...
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And now she's probably giving advice on how to NOT be taxed on the additional land she took over :lol:
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

bchociej wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:26 pm This is just egregious...

Has action been taken against any of the neighbors who have also crossed over the line?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 pm
taxi wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 am I think we should name one of the new stops after her.
Perhaps when the ATA wins court costs from her, they can set aside some of that funding for public restrooms and name them after her.
Did you just watch Robin Hood Men in Tights?

"From this day forth, all toilets in this kingdom shall be known as 'Johns'!"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Looks like the city is looking at purchasing part of the Country Club ROW.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... MmvEzLJk2T