OFFICIAL - Flashcube (720 Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: "Flashcube" Building - 720 Main

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I like the trees
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Question: What are the plans for the parking lot in front of the building's entrance?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grecobs wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 pm Question: What are the plans for the parking lot in front of the building's entrance?
I thought that was a potential phase 2?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

hgascoigne wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 pm Noticed this sign up outside while waiting for the streetcar.

The website on the sign is dead.
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

I wonder if we will ever see a day when "Affordable" replaces "Luxury" downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beermestrength wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 am I wonder if we will ever see a day when "Affordable" replaces "Luxury" downtown.
In about 15-20 years when all the recent construction ages.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

You do realize that "luxury" is a marketing term, right? It just means "new". What is your definition of affordable?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am You do realize that "luxury" is a marketing term, right? It just means "new". What is your definition of affordable?
It doesn't mean new, a luxury project can be restoring old.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/250745
A. The luxury strategy aims at creating the highest brand value and pricing power by leveraging all intangible elements of singularity- i.e. time, heritage, country of origin, craftsmanship, man-made, small series, prestigious clients, etc.
When it comes to luxury, being unique is what counts, not any comparison with a competitor. Luxury is the expression of a taste, of a creative identity; luxury makes the bold statement “this is what I am,” not “that depends”– which is what positioning implies. It is identity that gives a brand that particularly powerful feeling of uniqueness, timelessness, and the necessary authenticity that helps give an impression of permanence
In this context unique comes with a cost. To be the only something means you can price to sell to people who must have that thing.

If you read through this site enough you'll see that most the posters here want all projects be luxury projects in whole or part.

My definition of affordable housing is a design is so mundane it's replaceable and no one would care. It doesn't mean it's not well made but that the actual design should be little more than acceptable. It's projects where economy of scale is more important than amenities. It's the same layout, fixtures and colors done again and again. It's where you might get confused where to go because everything looks the same. It's where one building is little different from the next one over.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

flyingember wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 am
My definition of affordable housing is a design is so mundane it's replaceable and no one would care. It doesn't mean it's not well made but that the actual design should be little more than acceptable. It's projects where economy of scale is more important than amenities. It's the same layout, fixtures and colors done again and again. It's where you might get confused where to go because everything looks the same. It's where one building is little different from the next one over.
Johnson County?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think what they are referring to is "Flashcube Luxury" and not "Luxury Apartments."

In the old days, flashcubes were big, bulky, sometimes dangerous, only one color temperature (and not always reliably consistent Kelvin) and were generally one and done. These new luxury flashcubes will be small, sleek, artisan flashcubes consistent in their color temperature (and even adjustable in that regard), hand crafted of exotic materials, that you can use virtually anywhere and everywhere in your apartment, over and over throughout the lease term. To have these flashcubes available in every apartment facilitates convenient, well-lit insta selfies and appeals to both millenials and empty nesters to create a true flashcube luxury. I think Wayne Reeder came up with this marketing angle. I personally look forward to seeing them go off in multiple apartments when I pass by at night.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Flashcube Renovation Underway, Apartments Open Next June
The renovation of the historic “Flashcube” building into 184 apartments is going full throttle following years of delays and construction cost increases.

About 70 workers are on the job daily at the nine-story building at 720 Main transforming the former 1970s office building into the latest major project to be developed along the downtown streetcar line.

Work is expected to be completed by June 2020.
https://cityscenekc.com/flashcube-renov ... next-june/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Old rendering of phase 2.

Note that the architect, Clockwork, is the same for both

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

New glass going in

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The new glass looks amazing and makes the building feel like it was built yesterday.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I’m looking forward to seeing this completed
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Lots of time (and glass) move Flashcube restoration forward

https://tinyurl.com/ygymyg9k
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Many of you have probably noticed that the website on the sign is functioning. Thought I'd jot down some pricing info here for context. https://www.flashcubekc.com/floor-plans

Studio -- $1,170 -- 473 sqft = $2.47/sqft
One Bedroom -- $1,360 -- 630 sqft = $2.16/sqft
Two Bedroom -- $1,665 -- 847 sqft = $1.97/sqft
Two Bedroom -- $1,875 -- 974 sqft = $1.93/sqft
Three Bedroom -- $2,925 -- 1,205 sqft = $2.43/sqft
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

A few new interior renderings

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

For that much money I would want a bathroom connected to the bedroom, not down the hall. And the walk-in closet of the 2BR doesn't even open into the bedroom or bath? Hope they do well!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

That lobby looks like a fun place to take some LSD.