Bluhawk

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Bluhawk

Post by rxlexi »

And people still get way more worked up over using TIFs downtown while this stuff is just fine. Even though this is way way worse. Truly absurd corporate welfare in suburban greenfields. Some things never change.

And 3.5 million people are going to visit a suburban hockey arena? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That's like 1.5 million MORE people than the Chiefs AND Royals draw per year. And this is in a market that already has a successful suburban arena which it will compete with.

Mind blown...
Yep. But but but Strata rabble rabble luxury hotels blah blah downtown is the next Austin can't no one afford this city. Etc.

Stuff like this slips by essentially unnoticed - absurd.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It appears that the only people who complain about TIF are residents of KCMO.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://bluhawk.com/kansas-city-bluhawk/ TJMAXX coming back to OP. At least Saltgrass Steakhouse new.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

All this while retail on 135th/Santa Fe has never been able to establish itself. That includes Martin City, Olathe, Leawood, and OP that all have spotty half failing developments.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

135th Street in Leawood has certain guidelines to follow.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

empires228 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 pm All this while retail on 135th/Santa Fe has never been able to establish itself. That includes Martin City, Olathe, Leawood, and OP that all have spotty half failing developments.
Although, Olathe has done a good job - propelled by the growing Hispanic population/buying power - of encouraging, welcoming what I call "little Mexico" between Clairborne (just east of I-35) and westward toward downtown Olathe with a focus on the Santa Fe & Ridgeview intersection.

New businesses owned and operated by Hispanic residents are prospering. The City has also allowed for the demolition of two stale bank buildings on the western corners to open up sight lines to these businesses and better (but not perfect) traffic flow.

Last census showed Olathe's population consisted 20% Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if Olathe hasn't already grown that number closer to 25%.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Only a small section east of I-35 is doing well though. You high quite a bit of mostly vacant and decaying 70s-early 90's blight before hitting that nice stretch with Kohl's, Menards, and Academy.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

One step at a time.

Interestingly, the uptick kind of started west at the Parker (K-7)/Santa Fe intersection, and is being tied together with little Mexico by the improvements and govt building projects in downtown Olathe.

As for Santa Fe between 35 and Mur Len, especially the north side of the road, it does need a facelift. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Perkins building now that it finally went out of business.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Olathe is growing. Yes Olathe Commons,Gateway phase 2 land still empty so is Land by Power Grid.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Construction well underway to connect traffic on Old 56 to Mahaffie (Garmin) via Church St extension underneath 35 parallel to train tracks.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

StL_Dan wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:10 pm Construction well underway to connect traffic on Old 56 to Mahaffie (Garmin) via Church St extension underneath 35 parallel to train tracks.
Does anyone happen to have any pictures on that? I'd very much like to see how that project is going.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mgsports wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 am 135th Street in Leawood has certain guidelines to follow.
Also, Leawood's internal processes make it possibly the most challenging municipality in the metro to develop in. Can't fault anyone for avoiding building there.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Because could have a Specality Grocer on 135th street at Roe Ave but not yet.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:12 pm
StL_Dan wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:10 pm Construction well underway to connect traffic on Old 56 to Mahaffie (Garmin) via Church St extension underneath 35 parallel to train tracks.
Does anyone happen to have any pictures on that? I'd very much like to see how that project is going.
I want a closer look, as well, so I'll try to snap some off this week. No promises.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chaglang wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm
mgsports wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 am 135th Street in Leawood has certain guidelines to follow.
Also, Leawood's internal processes make it possibly the most challenging municipality in the metro to develop in. Can't fault anyone for avoiding building there.
Then, I'm assuming it took a lot of time and work for Barstow to get approval to acquire and modify their new campus annex on the Kansas side. ???
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I can't even imagine.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Tower crane up for the new Advent Health hospital expansion.

TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I really hate bluhawk and everything it stands for, but thanks for the photo. Crane looks cool
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

TrolliKC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm I really hate bluhawk and everything it stands for, but thanks for the photo. Crane looks cool
I mean like it or not homes are being built south of BVSW and a lot are being built near west. It might not be long before this area has the population to support it, something the Prairie Fire/Corbin Park area has struggled to obtain as of yet. A lot of the homes around BVSW are zoned to Spring Hill, so be looking for a Spring Hill north in the near future if the pace keeps up.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

empires228 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 am
TrolliKC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm I really hate bluhawk and everything it stands for, but thanks for the photo. Crane looks cool
I mean like it or not homes are being built south of BVSW and a lot are being built near west. It might not be long before this area has the population to support it, something the Prairie Fire/Corbin Park area has struggled to obtain as of yet. A lot of the homes around BVSW are zoned to Spring Hill, so be looking for a Spring Hill north in the near future if the pace keeps up.
SH North HS. Mind boggling to think about.