Hospital Hill activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Hospital Hill activity

Post by moderne »

Which indicates to be acquired from the University of MO(and something else that I cannot make out). Which does not answer where will dental patients park, the overload lot is 2 blocks away. I know the dental college has wanted to build anew east of TMC for years but the legislature in Jeff City has not been willing to fund.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:14 pm Which indicates to be acquired from the University of MO(and something else that I cannot make out). Which does not answer where will dental patients park, the overload lot is 2 blocks away. I know the dental college has wanted to build anew east of TMC for years but the legislature in Jeff City has not been willing to fund.
Are you actually worried that a college student would have to walk two blocks? There's an actual school owned parking garage one block away from that site.

In college all my classes were six blocks away from housing and most of the commuter parking was further than that. Mizzou's distances make that look like nothing.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not students I am wondering about, but patients. Nowhere did I mention students.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am Not students I am wondering about, but patients. Nowhere did I mention students.
Same thing. It's more than a block from the children's mercy patient parking just to the security desk.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

OMG, patients will have to walk two blocks!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Patients are people with medical needs. Dental patients tend to be older, as healthy people under 40 or 50 usually have not developed many severe dental or tooth loss problems. Humans used to not live much over 40 and teeth seem to not want to last much more than that. There are lots of elderly going to the dental school due to affordability and for many walking 2 blocks could be a struggle. But I am fine with healthy people walking or people with dental problems due to poor hygiene, crappy diet, or meth!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:26 am Patients are people with medical needs. Dental patients tend to be older, as healthy people under 40 or 50 usually have not developed many severe dental or tooth loss problems. Humans used to not live much over 40 and teeth seem to not want to last much more than that. There are lots of elderly going to the dental school due to affordability and for many walking 2 blocks could be a struggle. But I am fine with healthy people walking or people with dental problems due to poor hygiene, crappy diet, or meth!
Agreed
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The dental school provides valet parking for handicapped people.
For Handicapped Parking –
Enter the Dental School parking lot from Holmes (just behind the Dental School) and contact the attendant in the Dental Booth. Valet parking is available for those with disability plates or placards through the attendant at the Dental Booth.
https://dentistry.umkc.edu/location-and-parking/

When Childrens Mercy Hospital starts to build on the existing parking lot, the dental school has the option to move handicapped parking to the grassy area on the NW corner of 25th and Holmes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0817164 ... 8192?hl=en

The dental school also has a parking lot on the west side of Children's Mercy. It is currently the parking lot for dental faculty, and faculty practice dental patients.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0826554 ... !1e3?hl=en
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Those parking instructions are either dated or incorrect or both. There is rarely anyone at the booth and the gate has not been down in years. Unless handicapped, patients and visitors are directed to walk around the east side of the building to the front entrance where one will often encounter people smoking or eating prior to getting their teeth worked on. Yuk.
Back to CMH, the new building's elevator/environmental tower on the east end is being faced in the traditional brick seen throughout rest of the campus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's a brand new pedestrian bridge over 22nd going in from the garage south of 22nd to the new University Health building. The concrete for the new garage west of the building is going in.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Photos please someone.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Columns going up on roof of building immediately to the south of the new tower. Is this the beginning of phase 4(a vertical addition), skipping over phases 2 and 3?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm Columns going up on roof of building immediately to the south of the new tower. Is this the beginning of phase 4(a vertical addition), skipping over phases 2 and 3?
I posted when the project was just getting started that they're adding one floor on to the current clinics building- to initially remain as shell space.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They are adding two floors to the current clinic building..Wonder if why they are going ahead on this is because of the cranes already in place can be used for its construction. Rather than go back and put of 2 new cranes in the middle of an occupied area with restricted space.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

New building in the distance...

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 pm Columns going up on roof of building immediately to the south of the new tower. Is this the beginning of phase 4(a vertical addition), skipping over phases 2 and 3?
This is very noticeable from Crown Center/ Union Station now. (Or at least it feels like it stands out more)
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

They started the installation of the DNA lights- so far just 3 are lit on the West end, but they look great.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New clinic building at Truman Medical Center on the SE corner of 22nd and Charlotte.

The bridge that will connect the new clinic building to the University Health Building on the NE corner.

The new clinic building shown as the sun goes down behind the new research building at Children's Mercy Hospital.