Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by smh »

This does look nice. I suppose my only questions are: Why head-in parking and what happened to the no-curb option? Wouldn't that better identify the area as shared/pedestrian oriented space?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like it. Some improvements to 5th and Walnut should go with this that somehow let the streetcar go after it stops at the station vs. having to inch forward 3 feet and stop again.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:30 pm I like it. Some improvements to 5th and Walnut should go with this that somehow let the streetcar go after it stops at the station vs. having to inch forward 3 feet and stop again.
Great idea. Need to install an all mode 'stop' for streetcar crossing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

langosta wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:54 pm An ordinance was introduced by Councilman Bunch for:

Construction of these improvements at the City Market would open and improve Walnut from 3rd to 5th Streets, to:
  • Increase two-way access and parking for weekday shoppers,
  • Restore circulation and connectivity for the River Market neighborhood,
  • Eliminate current traffic problems,
  • Give greater exposure to the eastern market building’s tenants,
  • Provide a better space for Market events.
The Market Square would continue to be closed to automobile and truck traffic on weekends.
The total project amount is $2,427,058. Funding for debt service for bonds sold will be paid from annual rents received by the City from the Port Authority for riverfront property.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... cpvNDBbXaZ
Are there any plans to renovate the year-round retail buildings/stalls and the dilapidated and pigeon filled overhangs?
Approved today
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bummer, Freestyle Poke shut down. Was one of my favorite poke places anywhere in US, at least the RM one. They seemed to do a good lunch biz.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... losed.html

Maybe they expanded faster than they can manage? Though often one reason very good restaurants close is because of costly operations (such as overly complex menu) for the price to sustain biz. They did provide more unusual (and costly) options compared to most poke places.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems like they simply expanded too fast.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Bummer. I liked that place a lot.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Same. Unfortunate.

I'm told the poke place above former Koko Thai is quite good, though it is table service.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

145 apts with streetfront retail proposed for NE corner of 3rd/Grand. Would think they could more than double that, especially with that large of a lot.

edit: Says 145 apts in first paragraph but then this...
The CBC/EPC plan calls for a six-story development that includes 161 apartments, 30,000 square feet of office space and a 3 1/2-level, parking garage with 220 spaces.
https://cityscenekc.com/new-development ... er-market/

As lego block looking buildings go, it's not bad. The terraced patio gives it some extra character too...
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I'm not sure that the rendering provided in that story is true to what is proposed for 3rd and Grand. On the Klover Architect website, that same rendering is used for a project in the Delano area of Wichita.

http://www.klover.net/delano
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah was wondering why the street itself was entirely wrong. They may intend a building similar to this.

Is a little disappointing only 3 developers responded for such a prime spot. Would've hoped for more national developers jumping in, especially as downtown rents are rising.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Yes, the aerial provided by Cityscene does not align with that rendering either. No third floor setbacks or veranda balconies.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Arnold, the group doing the green development down the street proposed something larger - 212 apartments (40% affordable), 75K office space and 612 parking spaces with 90+ available for the public during the day. Seems like a much better, green option with more unit, more parking, more office - would like to know why they weren't selected as preferred developer.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

kcjak wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am Arnold, the group doing the green development down the street proposed something larger - 212 apartments (40% affordable), 75K office space and 612 parking spaces with 90+ available for the public during the day. Seems like a much better, green option with more unit, more parking, more office - would like to know why they weren't selected as preferred developer.
My thoughts exactly...in the article it sounded like a much better project. If anyone with an inside scoop knows why, could you please explain?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

JLowe2018 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm
kcjak wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:33 am Arnold, the group doing the green development down the street proposed something larger - 212 apartments (40% affordable), 75K office space and 612 parking spaces with 90+ available for the public during the day. Seems like a much better, green option with more unit, more parking, more office - would like to know why they weren't selected as preferred developer.
My thoughts exactly...in the article it sounded like a much better project. If anyone with an inside scoop knows why, could you please explain?
It could have required too many incentives or have been seen as less likely to actually get built.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Tons of reasons are possible

They may not be able to get a loan for more money to do another project and wanted more incentives. They may not have enough staff to do the work right so they had to charge more to hire workers. They might not like the project terms so they wanted a special deal.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:23 pm
Tons of reasons are possible

They may not be able to get a loan for more money to do another project and wanted more incentives. They may not have enough staff to do the work right so they had to charge more to hire workers. They might not like the project terms so they wanted a special deal.
Was hoping more for reasons, rather than speculation.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

No Biz Journal article yet. Hopefully will found out more soon.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

I'd be skeptical of anything from Arnold. The only reason 2nd and Delaware actually happened is because a contractor lowballed a bid, built almost half of the project, then tried to renege on the promised price because it wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of reality. Yet for some reason the developer continues to insist that it's viable to build massive concrete bunkers in a market where everyone else is struggling to turn a profit with wood-frame buildings. It's all pretty bizarre to me.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kas1 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm I'd be skeptical of anything from Arnold. The only reason 2nd and Delaware actually happened is because a contractor lowballed a bid, built almost half of the project, then tried to renege on the promised price because it wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of reality. Yet for some reason the developer continues to insist that it's viable to build massive concrete bunkers in a market where everyone else is struggling to turn a profit with wood-frame buildings. It's all pretty bizarre to me.
It has been a long time but iirc, the theory is that the long run O&M costs will be so much less than average that they will be saving funds despite spending significantly more upfront. Also, I believe they received an equity investment from Berkshire Hathaway which removes the high costs associated with a loan.