"Tower East"

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: "Tower East"

Post by moderne »

Catfish sandwich is best fish sandwich in town, for any of you still observant of Lent Catholics.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Kitties and M&M Bakery are great!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

nickyrosstheboss wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 am Kitties and M&M Bakery are great!
The Hook 'Em Up is a good sandwich.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 amWe already have about a dozen or more head shops in midtown. I would think maybe two or three medical dispensaries tops in the neighborhood. Not sure that it will be all that noticeable.
I think there will be significantly more.

As of March 11, there had already been 63 applications for dispensaries in Missouri's 5th congressional district. There will be a minimum of 24 dispensary licenses per congressional district, and I don't believe there is currently a maximum number.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the dispensaries in the 5th are in Midtown and Downtown. So, if there are only 24 licenses, I think we could see 6-8 dispensaries in Midtown - maybe more if they go past 24 for the district.

I could see some conservative state legislators wanting to cap the number of dispensaries, but the state will take in considerable revenue, so there is incentive to grant a lot of licenses.

I think you could see some head shop/vape shop/gift shops converting to dispensaries. I'm not sure what the rules and regulations are, but when I went to a dispensary in Washington, I seem to recall that they only sold marijuana products. It might be because of financial/accounting reasons (cash only) or the fact that you have to be carded to enter. So while a place like It's a Beautiful Day would probably like to add weed to their store, I don't think it is that simple. They would likely open a second store nearby. Maybe some store owners will decide to completely convert their businesses to dispensaries, but I think most will occupy new spaces.

In addition to dispensaries, you will have cultivation facilities and infusion manufacturing facilities that may impact the warehouse/light industrial market. A clinic for prescriptions has already opened in River Market and I suspect we will see a few more of those around town.

I don't think there will necessarily be a drastic change to the fundamentals of the commercial real estate market, but I think there could be a noticeable dip in vacancy rates once all of these businesses lease up spots, especially in areas where you might expect to see a higher than average concentration, such as Midtown.
Not only will there likely be a handful of shops in midtown but I imagine you'll see alot of new "doctor offices" opening up too.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Anyone know who is taking over the former "Attitude" space at Cherry & 31st? Someone is putting in new restaurant and doing a substantial remodel. Gone is the crusty patina and in is a bright and cheery dining room.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I have heard talk that it is going to be a vegan restaurant.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am I have heard talk that it is going to be a vegan restaurant.
Maybe this will be the new FUD spot, i thought she wanted to reopen even though she sounds crazy
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There were reports that Fud was going to reopen in the Crossroads around 19th and Wyandotte. In fact, I just checked, and Google maps shows them at that location. However, it seems like things have been quiet on this front for a while, so I'm guessing it may not be happening.

I don't know who is behind this new spot, but I feel like if it was Heidi, word would have leaked.

There was a rumor a while back (shortly after Fud closed), that some of the chefs/employees of Fud were going to open their own spot around Tower East. I believe they were supposed to go where Brewer's Kitchen is now. I also heard a possibility of them going into the same building as Inner Space Yoga at 27th and Troost. Maybe they have finally gotten everything together and found a space.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Fix coffee shop soon to open in the former Attitude space @31st & Cherry.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Sounds like The Fix is more of a vegan restaurant than a coffee shop:

"A plant-based eatery offering heart-healthy breakfast and lunch during the week, and brunch on weekends. In the evening hours, local epicureans will pop up, offering a mouth-watering variety of inspired, plant-rich dishes."

Looks like it is scheduled to open December 1st.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will be a switch from Attitude which was sinfully greasy.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

On the LCRA agenda of Wednesday's meeting will be a presentation on a development for 620 Linwood Blvd (the former ice cream truck building that sold about a year ago. There will be a special meeting the week of March 2nd to consider a tax abatement.

I don't see any indication of what the development proposal might be. I hope it is something good. This building seems to have a ton of potential.

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Absolutely - imagine an active ground floor and the cataract windows removed from the upper floors.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 am Absolutely - imagine an active ground floor and the cataract windows removed from the upper floors.
Wow, that's one deep building compared to the front. They also own the empty lot across the street on the other side of Holmes

I picture a small retail space on the ground floor with four huge windows

There's a bunch of filled in Windows on the west side.
Put in a companion building, expanding this building on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Basically create covered parking below it.

Turn units to go E-W and there's room for something like 25 apartments across a larger footprint.

Take the rest of the first floor and put in the resident entrance and other building amenities. The apartment entrance would be separate from the retail with one on the east and west sides. Keep both garage doors (but new doors) for both practical matters and the overall look.

With the ground floor lot and the satellite lot there's plenty of parking to the point there shouldn't be any issues from neighbors when adding density.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, it is a pretty large building. The listing says 27,000 rentable sq ft.

SquareOneStudio, the furniture design and manufacturing company in the building to the north purchased it. It looks like the sale came with another smaller building that is attached to their main building, as well as a vacant/gravel lot on the east side of Holmes. I am guessing that they mostly wanted use of those two portions, and not the main building. They have paved and fenced the gravel lot and I assume they are using it for their own parking.

My concern is that they would keep the brick building as industrial/warehouse use. There has been a "For Sale or Lease" sign up for a while, but I have only seen listings for lease. It seems like SquareOneStudio is keeping the building, possibly using part of it and renting out the rest.

I do hope the first floor (at least the portion facing Linwood) gets activated with retail. The upper floors seem like they could be good for industrial loft style apartments or office space.

On the lease listing on LoopNet, I currently only see 1 available space of 2,500 sq feet on the first floor. Perhaps the rest of the building is spoken for with whatever development plan they are proposing to the LCRA.

I don't recall seeing these before - there are some floor plan options posted on LoopNet. I would guess that these could be for the 2nd or 3rd floor. They show use as an office, event space, or artist studios:

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The LCRA meeting was moved to 3/4 and there is a little more info for this development on the uploaded presentation.

"First floor to be renovated for commercial uses, including a potential expansion of Square One Studio, a design/fabrication firm located next door.

Second and Third floors to be renovated to the expansion of a nonprofit clinic and offices"
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The warehouse building at Linwood and Cherry has sold - or is at least under contract. The current owner has been liquidating the contents. It will be interesting to see what the new owner has planned. I am hoping/assuming some sort of conversion.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Would be cool to see someone use it as a base and build flats on top like they were planning with the belfry building