OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 pm just another example of our inconvient airport that people just accept as okay and will be surprised how much better the new terminal works.

although my guess is there will be whining about having to walk across the arrivals car lanes to get to the buses.
My guess would be that the Venn diagram of bus riders and old terminal lovers would have very little overlap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I meant the economy shuttle bus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:44 am I meant the economy shuttle bus.
My guess would be that the Venn diagram of economy shuttle bus riders and old terminal lovers would have very little overlap.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I wish we didn't have to have a monstrosity of a garage, but it is what it is. I hope it's been designed for present and future transit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:27 pm I wish we didn't have to have a monstrosity of a garage, but it is what it is. I hope it's been designed for present and future transit.
There is a space next to the garage for a future rail or BRT station. It also looks like solar panels will be on top of the garage and entry/exit points.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:27 pm I wish we didn't have to have a monstrosity of a garage, but it is what it is. I hope it's been designed for present and future transit.
There is a space next to the garage for a future rail or BRT station. It also looks like solar panels will be on top of the garage and entry/exit points.
Pics plz
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm
Pics plz
Next to the north-side garage wall at the departures drop off. It is also my understanding that for now buses will station in the bottom floor of the garage.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 pm
smh wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Pics plz
Next to the north-side garage wall at the departures drop off.
Hmmmm.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:19 pm
It seems that a crosswalk to the garage seems terribly inefficient. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a pedestrian bridge to the garage, or a tunnel?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I predict that these huge overhangs will be blown off in a wind event someday. The one on the terminal itself seems designed to funnel wind down onto the sidewalks. Imagine what that will feel like when it's -20 degrees Farenheit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:23 pm Image

I predict that these huge overhangs will be blown off in a wind event someday. The one on the terminal itself seems designed to funnel wind down onto the sidewalks. Imagine what that will feel like when it's -20 degrees Farenheit.
It would take an extreme weather event to blow those off if built as shown.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Can't they be set back over the upper deck? Or is the entire upper deck covered with solar panels in an roof structure?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 pm Can't they be set back over the upper deck? Or is the entire upper deck covered with solar panels in an roof structure?
1. The shades will only cover the first few rows of parking on the east and west sides of the garage. I am not entirely sure if these will be covered in solar panels. Rooftop solar was discussed previously and solar panels can be seen in some of the renderings on the outlying structures.

2. The parking structure shades are roughly in line with the walls of the garage. I think its an optical allusion that makes them look like they overhang.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ok, I couldn't figure out the reason the garage would need such overhangs. I can see having them over the sidewalks outside the terminal just to cut down on snow removal alone. It still question needing to have the terminal building overhang extending over the traffic lanes. Seems like you are tempting fate.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:34 pm Ok, I couldn't figure out the reason the garage would need such overhangs. I can see having them over the sidewalks outside the terminal just to cut down on snow removal alone. It still question needing to have the terminal building overhang extending over the traffic lanes. Seems like you are tempting fate.
IIRC, the 2 lanes of traffic closest to the terminal are considered drop off lanes. Additionally, you have to take into consideration windblown rain/snow.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Keep me down for structural failure in a wind event. Kansas City has a bad history with structural failures.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I at first had issues with no covered tunnel from garage to terminal but it's pretty common at all airports and seems fine. If it's raining when you are parking for a departure just go down to the bottom level and walk across
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm I at first had issues with no covered tunnel from garage to terminal but it's pretty common at all airports and seems fine. If it's raining when you are parking for a departure just go down to the bottom level and walk across
Or simply walking in the rain for 30 seconds reveling in your semi-waterproof self.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's not be ridiculous