OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by mister816 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 pm
kboish wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm This was what I was hoping to see. More like this please
IMHO: This is where we should put our Keystone Innovation District. Let’s get the local Apple, Google, and Microsoft offices down there. Then sprinkle in a bunch of startups with tech district offices for local players like Garmin, Cerner, etc.
This guy gets it
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Hopefully this actually happens. When these renders leaked, I thought that meant discussions were preliminary. PortKC is saying discussions are still very preliminary, maybe that means a new developer.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

In a bizzaro world where a company like Google had headquarters here, I always pictured this area to be where you'd locate a Google X headquarters.

In other words, have a company with headquarters downtown and then have a branch separated.

Obviously not realistic for us currently.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I realize the map in the Cityscene article may not be 100% accurate, but isn't the streetcar extension supposed to go further east than it shows? The map has it going only as far as the Northpoint apartment complex announced recently - I thought it was going to end closer to I-29/35?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:07 am I realize the map in the Cityscene article may not be 100% accurate, but isn't the streetcar extension supposed to go further east than it shows? The map has it going only as far as the Northpoint apartment complex announced recently - I thought it was going to end closer to I-29/35?
I think it is supposed to end at the mid way point
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:06 am
kcjak wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:07 am I realize the map in the Cityscene article may not be 100% accurate, but isn't the streetcar extension supposed to go further east than it shows? The map has it going only as far as the Northpoint apartment complex announced recently - I thought it was going to end closer to I-29/35?
I think it is supposed to end at the mid way point
http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... iumRes.pdf
Study page 18 shows they looked at two options going via Columbus Park which is interesting.
Page 92-94 show the more realistic options considered
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Two, 10-Story Apartment Buildings Contemplated for Berkley Riverfront

https://cityscenekc.com/two-10-story-ap ... iverfront/
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

After re-reading the documents, I came to the conclusion that nothing new is planned on Parcel 8 and 9 yet. There were no changes for those parcels from the original master plan. Long story short, I don't think there is anything new planned here that we haven't already heard about. My apologies. KCDowntown

There's a permit on Compass that delineates some alterations to the Berkeley Riverfront master plan that accommodate the sizes and heights of the recently announced projects. In addition it makes changes to the Master Plan regarding some projects that have yet to be announced.

The TLDR is that there are 2 additional unannounced projects that they are making changes to the Master Plan for... one a 10-story building with 611 apartments and another 10 story building with 430 apartments. This is on top of the Northpoint, Bridgeside, and twin 10-story buildings that we've already heard about.

Here is a summary of what I could glean from the document:

Parcel 3, abuts Union on the west
  • Previously announced 10 story building(s), Units TBD, Size of project ~700,000 sqft
  • 5 story garage, 600 spaces
  • 36 surface parking spaces
Parcel 8, Large lot NE corner of park - east of Lydia, north of Berkeley Parkway
  • 10 story apartment building, 611 units, never been publicly announced
  • 5 story garage, 810 spaces
  • 100 surface spaces

Parcel 9, Large lot SE corner of park - east of Lydia, south of Berkeley Parkway
  • 10 story apartment building, 430 units, never been publicly announced
  • 5 story garage, 460 spaces

Parcel 12 - Generally the SW part of the park, abutting Bar K and the bridge on the west, south of Berkeley Parkway:
  • Construction starting Spring 2020, this parcel is Phase 2
  • Previously announced hotel project - 7 stories, 70 rooms
  • Garage - 2 stories includes retail
  • Previously announced Northpoint apartments- 5 stories, 350 units
Parcel 13 - Generally the SE part of the park, small lot, south of Berkeley Parkway, West of Lyda:
  • Previously announced Bridgeside Lofts - 5 stories, 60 units, no setback on any side
KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I always assumed parcels 8 and 9, the two bigger parcels on the far east side next to the interstate, would be developed as mixed use/office.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Looking at all of the documentation again, there are no changes to Parcel 8 and 9 from the original master plan. This leads me to believe there is nothing new planned for those spaces yet. My apologies. I'm going to edit the original post.

KCDowntown
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Final Development Plan submitted to the city for the 12A parcel (the NorthPoint development). Plans can be downloaded from the link.

346 units over 3 buildings, all 4 stories (1 with basement level), 511 total parking spaces. Construction start April 2020, finished December 2021.

Only a sliver of this project abuts Berkeley Parkway, and has zero setbacks there. Otherwise, it's surrounded by surface parking. Hopefully the hotel on the northern part of this Parcel will improve this block.

KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm Final Development Plan submitted to the city for the 12A parcel (the NorthPoint development). Plans can be downloaded from the link.

346 units over 3 buildings, all 4 stories (1 with basement level), 511 total parking spaces. Construction start April 2020, finished December 2021.

Only a sliver of this project abuts Berkeley Parkway, and has zero setbacks there. Otherwise, it's surrounded by surface parking. Hopefully the hotel on the northern part of this Parcel will improve this block.

KCDowntown
The hotel (120 rooms) and BarK is using the 511 spaces, so the numbers look a lot better when you include everything.

A rough guess, if this was a suburban style development there would be closer to 2.5 spots per unit, for more than 1200 spots. As it's designed it's right around 1 spot per room so a lot of the apartment residents will be transit dependent or ride their bike to work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I was driving by this area and I must have seen 50-60 cars parked at BarK.

120 + 60 + 346 = 520 spots minimum

So they did scale down the parking for the site to way less than they could have.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Riverfront Affordable Housing Plan Denied Tax Credits, Lack of Mayoral Support Cited
A $15 million affordable apartment development proposed for the riverfront is floundering after being rejected for federal low-income tax credits, partly because it lacked the mayor’s support, according to Port KC officials.

The 75-unit Bridgeside Lofts project proposed by Prairie Fire Development is planned for a site near Berkley Riverfront Park controlled by Port KC. It calls for 60 percent of the units to be reserved as affordable housing with monthly rents going for $695 to $895.

But while the Port KC board supported the Prairie Fire project, its financing also relied on the developer receiving federal low-income housing tax credits.
The committee also was given an update on progress on other riverfront redevelopment projects:

–NorthPoint Development has purchased Port KC land and reached a development agreement required for a 350-unit apartment project on the riverfront just east of the Bar K restaurant and dog park.

–Port KC is continuing to negotiate with a developer who plans to build a five-story, 120-room boutique hotel on riverfront property.

–Port KC is continuing discussions with a developer who wants to build two, ten-story apartment towers on the riverfront along with some office and retail.
https://cityscenekc.com/riverfront-affo ... ort-cited/
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

From CPC Agenda

Case # CD-CPC-2019-00225 110 Berkley Plz. - A request to approve an amendment
to the Berkley Riverfront MPD Plan permit additional uses (hotel), site layout (remove
roundabout), increase in square footage and building height on about 80 generally
bordered by the Missouri river on the north and west, I-29 on the east and railroad
tracks (KCS/ I&MRL/ UP & BNSF) on the south.
Applicant: Krishan Purvis, Port Authority of Kansas City, Missouri
Continued From: January 21, 2020
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Port KC works to fill a gap in its offerings at Berkley Riverfront
The Port Authority of Kansas City has requested rezoning that would allow for a hotel, even though the agency has no specific project in mind, spokeswoman Mariah Shields told the Kansas City Business Journal on Wednesday.

A hotel was always part of the Berkley Riverfront vision — there are none there or in the nearby River Market — but the use wasn't included in the original master plan. This action would correct that.
The action to rezone was on the docket for Tuesday's City Plan Commission meeting, but action was continued to March because of delays in required public meetings about the project.

https://tinyurl.com/v2sllqd
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

One one hand, investors should probably wait for the existing downtown hotel boost of rooms to play out for a while before adding more (and the City should not be involved in any more hotel incentives). OTOH, KCMO city core for last several decades has had less % share of hotel rooms relative to metro compared to other markets. Downtown and city core could probably continue to build up rooms long term while maintaining the same metro rooms. That is, as older suburban hotels are not worth upgrading, they convert to something else, such as one in OP that recently converted to storage units.

Even the convention bureau (VisitKC) thinks downtown needs to take a breather from more hotels. But long term would think downtown could handle another 1K-2K rooms and midtown could probably handle some more economy hotels.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 am Even the convention bureau (VisitKC) thinks downtown needs to take a breather from more hotels. But long term would think downtown could handle another 1K-2K rooms and midtown could probably handle some more economy hotels.
If there's convention demand, downtown has existing convention/event space for another 40-50k rooms.

Just the Sprint Center is bigger than the total downtown hotel capacity, with two people per room