OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by Highlander »

What's the status on the Isle of Capri? I thought a rebuild and considerable upgrade with a hotel was supposed to be the catalyst for a renewed riverfront and the streetcar extension?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:00 pm I don't like dogs where I drink because far too many end up sniffing my crotch or food or barking (this goes for kids too) but bar-k is obviously a huge success and I'm happy for them and dog owners.
+1
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bar K doesn't allow dogs in the main indoor bar/eating area, just the outdoor patios. Something to check out as far as seeing what container buildings can be. Container design can still involve large spaces, especially if hybrid...

horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Shipping container buildings at this point are a gimmick/aesthetic more than a practical building solution. They're not economically beneficial in most cases (for a variety of reasons including building code) and they're not even the most sustainable way of doing construction.

Can we let it go?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

We can let it go if no one else bites but container apts are apparently picking up steam. DFW area has several complexes going up as well as the Netherlands. It's been around for a while now so would expect best practices have evolved to meet codes. And hybrids could simplify codes too. Is beyond gimmicky at this point. Some think exposed brick lofts are gimmicky. City Club Apts interior too gaudy from some but good for downtown to offer various kinds of products.

It's just an idea that fits into KC's railroad ties, the 1st/2nd largest freight center in nation depending on how measured. I brought it up with that in mind, not really because it's 'sustainable' (which can be offset by other challenges).

Feel free to suggest other ideas that can work within the constraints outside the Interstate outer road approach planned.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The purpose of shipping container buildings aren't about practicality or economic benefits. As the retail environment continues to change toward ordering products online, shipping freight continues to surge. With that we see an increase in the number of shipping containers that bring goods from overseas, from country to country and via rail network in the US. What better way to repurpose some of those containers as they come off line?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Gimmicky doesn’t equal bad. I think BarK is a cool space. They’re just not bringing anything to the table other than an aesthetic. Aesthetic discussions end up being dead end echo chambers of personal preference

It’d be nice if we could get back more to a constructive discussion of massing, density, and uses.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:47 pm Gimmicky doesn’t equal bad. I think BarK is a cool space. They’re just not bringing anything to the table other than an aesthetic. Aesthetic discussions end up being dead end echo chambers of personal preference

It’d be nice if we could get back more to a constructive discussion of massing, density, and uses.
I want to talk about sharing parking between this project and the hotel and BarK and how density of the overall project can be increased this way

Oh wait, that's already in the plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Union Pacific is moving operations out of the Neff railyard in the East Bottoms to Armourdale. Neff is among the biggest switching yards in the region. Maybe we can just park boxcars on the rails and let people live in them like a big trailer court. That is likely the next big trend. :lol:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1256674 ... !1e3?hl=en

Since the Neff railyard is being shut down, I wonder if the Port Authority can get the railroads to decommission some of the existing rail lines south of the riverfront development? This would increase the amount of space for development.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kansa ... 5667?hl=en
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Since the Neff railyard is being shut down, I wonder if the Port Authority can get the railroads to decommission some of the existing rail lines south of the riverfront development? This would increase the amount of space for development.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kansa ... 5667?hl=en
Are you actually suggesting they stop using the ASB Bridge? The very first track is the one that connects to it. And that's not Union Pacific track.

Also, there's a giant railroad easement to the south of the project, and I wouldn't count on them giving that up.

In comparison, there's still a railroad easement into the city market and it looks like the track has been gone at least 50 years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No. I'm not suggesting they stop using the ASB Bridge. Just reroute the track to the Union Pacific tracks further south. The BNSF tracks end soon after the ASB, then they use the UP tracks, or the KCS tracks. The tracks I'm suggesting rerouting are KCS MILW Joint Agency. The could reroute back to their lines on the east side of I-29. This would also solve the problem of trains blocking Lydia Avenue into Berkley Riverfront.

Many of those rail lines through the East Bottoms are owned by different railroads, but share track at various points.

Kansas City Southern gave up their railyard in the River Market That is where Market Station is now.

The Port Authority would have to negotiate all of this of course, and purchase property for the reroutes east of I-29.

Since Union Pacific will be vastly reducing the volume of trains to the Neff switching yard, the traffic on the UP lines will be markedly reduced and likely could handle addition traffic from the proposed abandoned lines.

Last edited by FangKC on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am Since Union Pacific will be vastly reducing the volume of trains to the Neff switching yard, the traffic on the UP lines will be markedly reduced and likely could handle commuter rail traffic.
Fixed that one for you.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Something like this would go very nicely in Riverfront Park. This is near downtown OKC. Takes a popular form of sport entertainment one can normally only get in fairly remote mountainous areas and brings it downtown.

https://www.riversportokc.org/boathouse ... r-rafting/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Unknown developer wants to build two 10-story buildings...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... owers.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:35 am Unknown developer wants to build two 10-story buildings...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... owers.html
Sounds similar to renderings leaked here previously.

Last edited by normalthings on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:49 pm Image
?

Edit: Beat me to it
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This was what I was hoping to see. More like this please
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm This was what I was hoping to see. More like this please
IMHO: This is where we should put our Keystone Innovation District. Let’s get the local Apple, Google, and Microsoft offices down there. Then sprinkle in a bunch of startups with tech district offices for local players like Garmin, Cerner, etc.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It looks like they wrapped a parking garage. So the same model as the last building only scaled up more.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 pm It looks like they wrapped a parking garage. So the same model as the last building only scaled up more.
The last design has a garage in the inside