Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by earthling »

KCTOGA wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:16 pm I fear a near Funkhowser freeze coming to DTKC development. DT is, and always should be, the economic engine for this area. We cannot lose the momentum already created under the leadership of Sly. Someday we may not need TIF, as for now I feel we still do. I am a 56 year old northlander who is enjoying a vibrant DT for the first time. I only hope to GOD they will at least use TIF for Strada, other OFFICE towers and to finish off Cordish! DAMN!!!

Would be surprising if we see something as extreme as Funkhouser with the new regime though TIF use does need more scrutiny. It's hard to do office in this town w/out enough dedicated parking and developers will probably want TIF for at least garages.

The build and they'll come (with TIF) will probably work but it perhaps may set the precedence that others will only come because TIF makes it cost effective to. Meanwhile... free parking in the burbs!

Rock, meet Hard Place.

Free bus (a mayor agenda item) might help a bit but can it be enough to offset parking needs? I think we should at least trial it with understanding it very well may not end up with enough benefit to sustain. KC got a taste of free fare with successful streetcar so might bite. Let's give it a shot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the ball is rolling now. Development will find a way.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FWIW I think he took too much money from developers during the campaign to simply shut the faucet off.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Has anyone read the interview Lucas did with the BizJournal? Any thoughts on it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:22 pm Has anyone read the interview Lucas did with the BizJournal? Any thoughts on it?

=D>
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Huge fan of that
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah, that was really encouraging. There were a couple of encouraging quotes. One being his sentiment that incentives have been used for every mediocre project that comes along instead of pushing for something big, like a 40-story tower or something.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Do we feel that the interim city manager that was just announced will be made permanent? I know that a search committee has been put in place, but that doesn’t mean they will not make the interim permanent. Personally, I’ll be disappointed if they do a national search and end up with someone from Kalamazoo Michigan or Fort Smith Arkansas. We need to be able to pull a candidate from another mid- to large city who can address issues out of experience and bring ideas that push us to compete with peer cities.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 pm Do we feel that the interim city manager that was just announced will be made permanent? I know that a search committee has been put in place, but that doesn’t mean they will not make the interim permanent. Personally, I’ll be disappointed if they do a national search and end up with someone from Kalamazoo Michigan or Fort Smith Arkansas. We need to be able to pull a candidate from another mid- to large city who can address issues out of experience and bring ideas that push us to compete with peer cities.
I’m thinking someone from a city like Nashville would be a solid choice.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. We need some outside perspective
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If a new city manager is coming from outside the goal should be someone with experience in a city doing things the way KC wants to do. I don't care what city it is, we should look at what they're doing right regardless of the size.

On the older incentives posts just above, once key point that's been made to the mayor is there's too much horse trading in incentives

There's always going to be those big projects that are the exception but it would help a lot if we designed incentives programs that have fixed rules and if you're willing to follow those rules you submit paperwork and are immediately approved without a council vote. Checking for compliance is all that's needed from the city. It cuts red tape for developers at the minimum so the process goes quicker for them. The council needs to get out of the business of needing to approve so much and be in the business of saying how things will be done without exception.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Right, not just pro-development, but pro-smart development. Not enough to be a new building, it must check all the boxes regarding TOD, street interaction, etc.

KC should not feel desperate any longer
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

From what I know this city manager has no interest in becoming permanent. That said, I also thought someone else was going to be the interim so what do I know.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:58 am From what I know this city manager has no interest in becoming permanent. That said, I also thought someone else was going to be the interim so what do I know.
He's said as much. I would expect this council to hire an outsider -- although they may be a local person, just not inside city hall.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Lucas seems to be playing grudge politics with economic development. This sort of behavior can't be good for the city.

From the Star, "Port Authority votes on USDA incentives, but not happy with where all the money goes."

Re: the USDA move
top Port Authority staff and appointed commissioners expressed displeasure at an arrangement by the Kansas City Council that deeply cuts the portion of incentives coming back to the authority to fund its own infrastructure projects. They called the action an unwarranted use of state dollars for city purposes.

Under the original terms of the USDA incentives, about $20 million from the AIM Zone would go to the owner of the downtown office building at 805 Pennsylvania selected as the new home for ERS and NIFA. The money would lower the lease rate the federal government would pay.

About $6 million would go back to the Port Authority to pay for transportation projects under its control, such as a facility to manage barge traffic sailing down the Missouri River, one of the Port Authority’s responsibilities.

But last month the Kansas City Council passed an ordinance that reduced by about $4 million what the city would contribute to the USDA incentive package. In turn, the Port Authority felt compelled to cut the $6 million it had counted on from the AIM Zone by $4 million to make up the difference and keep the USDA interested in relocating to Kansas City.
Re: Riverfront affordable housing project
Port Authority commissioners also learned that a proposed affordable housing project along the Berkley Riverfront did not receive an allocation of low-income housing tax credits from the Missouri Housing Development Corporation. The 70-unit apartment project proposed by Prairie Fire Development, Port Authority officials said, was not on a list of recommended projects from Quinton Lucas’ office.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Kansas City to be part of federal program to fight violent crime.
https://wwmt.com/news/nation-world/just ... n-7-cities
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Op-ed from Mayor Lucas: https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 13723.html
Our upcoming city budget will include funding to hire more police officers and social workers, and to build out a diverse, well-trained department. We must ensure these additional people are used in ways that focus on preventing and solving violent crimes.

Our budget will also include funding to expand mental health resources for survivors of shootings and the friends and families of homicide victims. I fully intend to break the cycle in which today’s friend or relative of a victim is tomorrow’s victim or potential assailant.

Additionally, my office is hosting work sessions with the City Council, police leadership and other community leaders to determine and expand upon what is working in our taxpayer-supported crime reduction industrial complex, and then to adjust what isn’t working. This includes review of KC NoVA, the Kansas City No Violence Alliance, and other crime prevention programs taxpayers support each year.

As a police commissioner, I’ve requested our police department, in alignment with other major city departments, to establish weekly shooter reviews to ensure that all investigatory and prevention efforts are being coordinated as effectively as possible across all taxpayer-funded entities, including our prosecutors’ offices. My goal here is clear: to prevent new victims by solving crimes and providing assistance to those most at risk.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A good step. Increasing KCPD foot patrol would also help, including buses especially if they run free fare. They aren't engaged with city sitting in cars.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Mayor Q looks like he actually thinks all those people are cheering him.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

If you have been following along Lucas’s twitter today, it sounded like he had been systematically purged from the voter rolls. Turns out the poll worker typed his name in wrong, he refused help, and didn’t stay to see things get sorted out. Supposedly they even had his stuff pulled up by the time he stormed out. (per KC Star) He, of course, refutes this claim but it seems a whole lot more likely then anything he’s put forward.