Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Troost developments

Post by chaglang »

I bet it's Milhaus, but it could be UC-B. Probably too far afield for MAC.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Some updates on the 3100 block of Troost:

On the LCRA agenda for 10/23 is a tax abatement request by Legacy Crossing Development (the Clemons) for a tax abatement on 3110 and 3130 Troost:
The applicant’s project is a $3,278,984 acquisition and rehabilitation of two small
commercial buildings. The Baker Shoe building, 3110 Troost Avenue, is a 19,252 sq. ft.,
two-story building; first floor space will be renovated for commercial use, while the
second floor may be renovated for residential use, if feasible, otherwise for commercial
use. The Helzberg building, 3130 – 3134 Troost Avenue, is a 10,000 sq. ft., two-story
commercial building; both floors will be renovated for commercial use.
Here is 3110:

And 3130:

In other news, I don't see the listing for the Firestone building (Linwood and Troost) anymore. I can't find it on either LoopNet or the Clemons' website. Work has been occurring at the building for a while now - first the facade brick work, and lately dumpsters clearing out all the junk. I assumed this was being done to get the building ready to sell, but perhaps there is already a new owner (though a change in ownership isn't showing up yet in the parcel viewer).

3124 Troost has been renovated and is available for lease. Looks like it is pretty much ready for tenant finishes. This rendering is on the Clemons website, and the building currently looks like this, without the awnings/metal details:

Clemons also has 3142 Troost listed for lease. I don't believe any work has started on this one yet, and it looks like the Clemons don't own it themselves.

I haven't noticed any work happening lately on the Tim Bowman/Compass project for the east side of the 3100 block. They were hoping to start this summer, but I think that was contingent on receiving historic credits from Missouri. I am guessing that may be the reason for the hold up.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The 3100 block has frustratingly slow to develop. I don’t have a high degree of confidence in the ability of any of the people involved to actually get a project off the ground.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCATA should announce a development partner soon for the SW corner of 31st & Troost.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What’s the program for that development?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 am What’s the program for that development?
Here's the RFP: https://www.kcata.org/procurement/tod-p ... wned-sites
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Wish the link in that doc had been to the Troost Overlay in addition to LISC's visioning document, only because the Overlay is enforceable.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Developer wins abatement to revive two buildings in Troost commercial district
Legacy Crossing Development presented its plans to the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA). The agency granted a 10-year, 100% property tax abatement. LCRA staff said the project is eligible to receive a 100% abatement because it is within a “continuously distressed” Census tract, in accordance with the city’s incentive cap ordinance.
Managing Partner Aaron Clemons said plans call for renovating the two buildings as soon as possible, with completion targeted by the summer of 2020.
The Baker Shoe Building, 3110 Troost Ave.,
The Helzberg Building, 3130–3134 Troost Ave.,
Clemons and Navarro said the developer already owns six buildings on the block, after selling one. It brought on a bigger partner to develop three of the six buildings, but they did not want to get into details yet.

Navarro added that they had just finished renovating one of the buildings between their new projects and were in talks with tenants that plan to move in.

Earlier this year, another development team rolled out plans to redevelop three other buildings in the 3100 block of Troost, which is a historic commercial district. Plans for those buildings include office, retail and restaurant options, plus the Midwest American Indian Museum of the Plains and Woodland Tribes.
https://tinyurl.com/y6trcoyz
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Peter Cassel is coming to speak at my neighborhood association this month. I assume it's to talk about the Armour and Troost development. IIRC the rezoning to UR got stuck at PZ&E last year (Shields), so maybe they think they can navigate the rest of the council approval process now?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

ZIllow advertisement for Marcato apartments at 27th and Troost.

https://www.zillow.com/b/marcato-kansas-city-mo-BMrmc3/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:24 pm Ambitious Plan to Revive Historic Troost Business District Proposed
A stretch of buildings in the heart of the historic Troost commercial district would be transformed into offices, retail space and a museum under a plan being pursued by development group that includes civic leader E. Frank Ellis.

Ellis, past chairman and founder of Swope Community Enterprises, along with Tim Bowman of Compass Resources LLC and Florida businessman Ovidiu Pop-Buia, want to renovate the historic Shankman and Micheslon buildings at 3115-3131 Troost, and the Tycor building at 3105 Troost.
https://cityscenekc.com/ambitious-plan- ... -proposed/
Permits were just submitted to Compass for this project, so it looks like things may get going soon.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The entire 27th and Troost development was designed, built, and leased in less time than its taken Bowman to get his things in the 3100 block moving. In theory this block should be the easy piece of the puzzle but it hasn’t worked out that way.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I looked through the feed of the Nextdoor app this morning and a Hyde Park resident is riling up the neighborhood about the development proposed for the four corners of Troost and Armour. Apparently there is a meeting tonight at Central Presbyterian Church at 7pm where MAC be doing a presentation on the development. First she complains about there being no affordable units while MAC is receiving $4 million in subsidies, then parking...stating that if there are at least two people per bedroom (LOL) that would bring in over 700 new residents to the 'already crushing density in the area.'

Most of the responses are from people who share her views, but also mention how MAC is a terrible landlord/property owner, crime has increased in the area, etc. One Southmoreland resident recommends showing up to tonight's meeting and 'don't be polite.'

if anyone on this board is free, I hope you'll show up to refute some of the misconceptions about development and provide some balance to the angry mob that will likely show up.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I don't know about MAC as a landlord but crime certainly didn't go up since MAC redid all of Amour. It used to be known as sex offender row and the violent crime was awful until Armour changed to market rate. Some friends who own a Victorian off Armour are thrilled with what MAC has done and are eagerly anticipating the Troost/Armour project, hoping for more retail options at the base.

If free bus happens, the parking situation will be a non issue. We need to get the city core out of the car dependency mindset.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would be helpful to look at the crime rates for the neighborhood over a period of time to see what is accurate. If MAC gets that kind of push-back, then MAC should compile statistics over a period of years to either confirm or refute it.

The other thing is if crime has indeed increased, is the crime truly created by MAC properties, or is it due to other locations/factors? Has crime gone up citywide, etc.? Are there more police calls to MAC buildings than before MAC owned them? And what is the crime the residents are complaining about: robberies, car burglaries, car theft, vandalism, prostitution, drug activity, gun shots, murders, assaults, rapes, trash dumping? The point I'm making is are MAC residents responsible.

Per the affordable apartment argument:
Chicago-based MAC Properties, which has developed more than 1,500 apartments along Armour Boulevard over the last decade, wants to invest $78 million in its biggest project to date that would add 450 apartments and 27,000 square feet of retail to the area.
Cassel also said 294 planned studio and one-bedroom apartments will have rents below $1,000, a figure he noted was below the City Council definition of affordable.
https://cityscenekc.com/big-apartment-p ... dorsement/

Finally, the 2 people per apartment argument is bogus. Census statistics have demonstrated that in KCMO almost 40 percent of all households (it's certainly more than a third) are individuals living alone. It would be interesting to look at specific zip code(s) Armour falls in to see if it is higher or lower. I would think that neighborhoods with a lot of apartments would tend to have a lot more singles than more suburban neighborhoods. The MAC properties fall in the 64111 and 64109 zip codes.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Hyde Park meetings are like live-action Facebook.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I wasn't able to make it to the meeting. Did anyone here go?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I assume that HPNA either voted to oppose the project or voted to take no position. They have a clause in the bylaws that the NA cannot endorse a rezoning without the consent of all the neighbors within 200’ or so of a project. It would be a surprise if Harrison Blvd residents signed off on this.

For the record, MAC accepts vouchers at many of their Armour apartment buildings.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are always those determined not to be pleased.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New Del Sol Hotel Shines on Troost by Hospital Hill
Troost Avenue has checked in a new $16 million hotel after six years of planning and plenty of persuading to overcome reluctance by lenders to back a project on a street long associated with Kansas City’s racial divide.

The 93-room La Quinta Del Sol is at 2321 Troost next to Hospital Hill. It’s part of a growing wave of investment in the area including new apartments, a UMKC student housing development and the renovation of the historic Wonder Bread bakery building.

Chris Vukas of Sunflower Development said the seed for the project was planted by former Truman Medical Center CEO John Bluford.
https://cityscenekc.com/new-de-sol-hote ... ital-hill/