Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by Riverite » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:25 am

What about the bit of downtown directly east of downtown, I believe it’s called paseo west. I always imagined that neighborhood could really blossom if it had just a bit of a fresh start. It’s got a great grid some beautiful old buildings and a great area

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2852
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by mgsports » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 am

In other part of KC area.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by TheLastGentleman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 am
Why?
Think about it, we have a chance to restore a street grid that's been mutilated by a urban freeway, right? Placing a stadium in the middle of that would immediately ruin that grid. A stadium requires about 4 city blocks, meaning a major N/S street will inevitably get cut off. How could a stadium possibly justify that, especially given the multitude of other, far less destructive alternatives?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29649
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by KCPowercat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:08 am

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 am
Why?
Think about it, we have a chance to restore a street grid that's been mutilated by a urban freeway, right? Placing a stadium in the middle of that would immediately ruin that grid. A stadium requires about 4 city blocks, meaning a major N/S street will inevitably get cut off. How could a stadium possibly justify that, especially given the multitude of other, far less destructive alternatives?
That's a good point.

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by chaglang » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am

Maybe we can put the stadium on a barge in the middle of the river and when we get sick of them we just float them downriver to Columbia?

Any of the solutions proposed here will result in mutilation of the street grid somewhere. That’s one of the tradeoffs of building downtown. If we value an intact street grid, then downtown baseball may not be for us. There’s really no harm in leaving the Royals out at TSC. The urban core of KC is doing pretty well without them. I’d hate to see us hitch so much money and acreage to the competence of a sports team - especially one that’s had 2-3 good years in the last 30.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17691
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:06 am

The city will sacrifice Charlotte in a heartbeat -- one of the few north/south streets that goes all the way through downtown.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5490
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by earthling » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 am

chaglang wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am
There’s really no harm in leaving the Royals out at TSC. The urban core of KC is doing pretty well without them. I’d hate to see us hitch so much money and acreage to the competence of a sports team - especially one that’s had 2-3 good years in the last 30.
Agree, have mentioned I would've supported this 10-15 years ago to boost downtown but a high functioning downtown shouldn't rely on events and there are already enough event driving venues. More residents/hotel visitors/office workers will boost street vibe further on a daily basis, which a stadium won't do being unused too often.

Am only for new stadium if mostly not funded by JaxCo taxpayers (rental car tax like arena, higher ticket prices, etc).

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3718
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by WSPanic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am

earthling wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 am
chaglang wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:42 am
There’s really no harm in leaving the Royals out at TSC. The urban core of KC is doing pretty well without them. I’d hate to see us hitch so much money and acreage to the competence of a sports team - especially one that’s had 2-3 good years in the last 30.
Agree, have mentioned I would've supported this 10-15 years ago to boost downtown but a high functioning downtown shouldn't rely on events and there are already enough event driving venues. More residents/hotel visitors/office workers will boost street vibe further on a daily basis, which a stadium won't do being unused too often.

Am only for new stadium if mostly not funded by JaxCo taxpayers (rental car tax like arena, higher ticket prices, etc).
Same here. Leave it where it is. This team is prone to long droughts of awful baseball. In 10 years, the stadium will look unused even when the team is playing.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4831
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:16 am

WSPanic wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am
Leave it where it is. This team is prone to long droughts of awful baseball. In 10 years, the stadium will look unused even when the team is playing.
I’m fine with that but they shouldn’t get a dime of tax money ever again. Spending money on upgrades when no additional revenue for the city will be generated is a waste. If they want to build DT, I’d vote for a tax as long as it was regional and matched by the team.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29649
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 am

Even a bad team brings in an event 81 nights a year and the atmosphere would likely draw more fans than having to shlug out to Kauffman

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3718
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by WSPanic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 am
Even a bad team brings in an event 81 nights a year and the atmosphere would likely draw more fans than having to shlug out to Kauffman
Ticket prices will likely be much higher in a new stadium. They always are. I'm not going to say Royals fans should be compared to Miami fans, but look at what a bad team in a new stadium did there. That place opened in 2012 and they've averaged 10K a game the past two years. There are no guarantees that people will be more willing to schlep downtown (and pay more) vs "shlugging" out to the K (you should really lay off the Yiddish if you don't have that club in your bag).

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4831
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am

WSPanic wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am
Ticket prices will likely be much higher in a new stadium. They always are.
Maybe, but I won’t have to pay $18 to park.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10873
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by mean » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am

You won't have to, but if my experience trying to get out of a Cards game on a MetroLink train is any indication, you will likely want to. That was a huge mess.

Of course, people actually go to Cards games because they are vastly more consistently good than the Royals have been since the 1980s.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3718
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by WSPanic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am

The parking would be a definite advantage for a lot of us, but I don't think that's representative of the overall fanbase. It was only $15, btw.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7857
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by flyingember » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:17 am

mean wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am
You won't have to, but if my experience trying to get out of a Cards game on a MetroLink train is any indication, you will likely want to. That was a huge mess.
I've been in downtown StL and Minneapolis right before a game. Both systems were packed in the direction of the game.

That's a good thing, the mess would be on the streets without the train and everyone would be in it.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10873
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by mean » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am

If you think the primary point of public transit is to reduce automobile traffic so that the people in cars are less inconvenienced, you might be part of the problem.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4831
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 pm

I assume a new DT stadium would have bike park. No public transit or car required.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29649
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:10 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 am
Even a bad team brings in an event 81 nights a year and the atmosphere would likely draw more fans than having to shlug out to Kauffman
Ticket prices will likely be much higher in a new stadium. They always are. I'm not going to say Royals fans should be compared to Miami fans, but look at what a bad team in a new stadium did there. That place opened in 2012 and they've averaged 10K a game the past two years. There are no guarantees that people will be more willing to schlep downtown (and pay more) vs "shlugging" out to the K (you should really lay off the Yiddish if you don't have that club in your bag).
Yeah Miami isn't a good comparison for many reasons. The new Miami stadium location is not in any way a nice walkable environment from downtown. I took the bus there from downtown and woof.

I prefer the trip out to Kauffman to be considered shlugging

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29649
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by KCPowercat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I agree ticket prices will go up with a new stadium. My tickets keep going up at Kauffman the way it is so not sure that's a big negative towards a new stadium.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by WoodDraw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:22 pm

All I care about is downtown if I'm paying for their stadium. Can they develop a stadium that contributes to the neighborhood without requiring surface parking?

If no, then stop banking land. If yes, present a plan.

Post Reply