OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by earthling »

Port Authority needs to develop a big picture strategy for a walkable streetcar village at minimum (within the constraints) rather than the Blue Springs Interstate outer road padsite thing happening.

Maybe play off of Bar K and create a shipping container village... all buildings made with freight shipping containers, each with its own design/character, including a shipping container hotel. Would be a quirky streetcar attraction as well. Better than mundane Interstate Exit development. Too late?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Crud I see that they built a shipping container park in NKC?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My problem isn't so much the density, but the urban design. It's a bit of a mess.

Is it part of them getting into areas they don't really understand?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:20 pm My problem isn't so much the density, but the urban design. It's a bit of a mess.

Is it part of them getting into areas they don't really understand?
The background of the guy in charge of this stuff is suburban development.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Riverite wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am I see that they built a shipping container park in NKC?
Well Bar K opened well before them and KC could become a place for shipping container designers everywhere to experiment with Riverfront. And it ties into the riverfront railroad theme. Better to have a village of these than the drab suburban developments planned, as long as each is different and parking is in the rear (maybe lots hidden within containers).

Shipping container hotels and buildings...
Last edited by earthling on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And here is Bar K dog park for those who haven't been. Fantastic place to check out even if you don't have a dog (note that food/drinks are pricey if not a member)...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think we're trying to be too cute by half here. Just a reasonable, walkable, urban design is fine.

Like I said earlier, I'm less concerned with density then others. But would like a walkable neighborhood.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:48 pm
Riverite wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am I see that they built a shipping container park in NKC?
Well Bar K opened well before them and KC could become a place for shipping container designers everywhere to experiment with Riverfront. And it ties into the riverfront railroad theme. Better to have a village of these than the drab suburban developments planned, as long as each is different and parking is in the rear (maybe lots hidden within containers).

Shipping container hotels and buildings...
I have a feeling that a neighborhood of containers won't age well.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, I think sometimes people here miss the forest for the trees. Going from this is a poor design to let's build a community of shipping containers, I dunno.

How about just proper urban planning?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree proper urban planning would be more ideal but this would be better than what's happening and may allow for more flexibility in targeting walkability with all of the oddball constraints of the site. And it would be relatively unique to have an entire village of these (mini destination for streetcar visitors). And it fits into the railroad aspect of riverfront.

It wouldn't age any worse than the suburban crap that's on the plate and Bar K has already started it. Cutesy? Yes, encouraging quirky even better. Better than what they're planning? Relatively yeah.

If lots are used instead of garages, surrounding with containers can hide the lots as well as provide enclosed security while providing storage for residents. Lots of creative things could be experimented with, like a walkthru coffee window in a container along sidewalk (rather than a drivethru). Open it to global container designers.

What do others think? Too out there for KayCee?

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Have they resolved the heating/cooling inefficiency issues with shipping containers (see also condensation/humidity/toxins)? Are the containers really environmentally friendly after you account for the heating/cooling/insulation needs? I'm all for repurposing and recycling, but there are some important downsides to consider. I think it works great for a business concept like Bar K where there is a lot of interaction with the outdoors, but living in them is a different story.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There are methods for insulating containers found here.

These were popular starting with student housing around the world but now used for high end in DC getting up to $6500/month so would think they've resolved such issues. Though HVAC costs could still be high. The short answer looking at some links is 'energy efficient if done right' like needing to weld together carefully, foam spray insulation seems to be common solution. Would think there are best practices evolved by now with larger container developers. There are apts in very cold and hot areas of world. There might be reviews out there from people who live in them.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I don't ever want to sit or order food inside of shipping container ever again.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^So you view Bar K as a fail?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

That’s fair if you don’t like the shipping container thing, I think it could work well even in bad weather. I always imagined a careless village just west of bar k though past the tracks. It would be easy to build out and wouldn’t need foundations. Plus it would make the path to river market more heavily used. There are those old concrete platforms they could be on
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's good and bad design with any material.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 am I always imagined a careless village just west of bar k though past the tracks. It would be easy to build out and wouldn’t need foundations. Plus it would make the path to river market more heavily used. There are those old concrete platforms they could be on
No foundations?

The three historic flood levels at that are were ~755, 754 and 752 feet. Flood stage there is ~738 feet

No one will be able to get a loan or insurance to build on the outside of the flood wall, especially if the house can float away!

It would be carefree in that only the poorest and criminals will move somewhere without insurance
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 am ^So you view Bar K as a fail?
I dislike dogs, so not a good person to ask.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't like dogs where I drink because far too many end up sniffing my crotch or food or barking (this goes for kids too) but bar-k is obviously a huge success and I'm happy for them and dog owners.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

used to dislike dogs but my wife demanded we get one a year ago and now i just dislike children