OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Post by flyingember »

grecobs wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 am Winter 2020 looks totally doable for parts of the project. They are working weekends and are largely on interior spaces now. It’s a tight timeline but totally doable.
I really doubt they're largely on interior spaces when all of the units haven't been framed yet.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

JLowe2018 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:53 pm I'm visiting their pre-leasing office on Thursday to see what they'll have available for next summer, so I'll see what can be found out.

Glad to hear about a "City Club 2" also! Hopefully it'll come together and have more affordable options because the leasing agent I reached out to said this project's "HUD affordable options" start at "$1045"...and that's for a studio with a Murphy Bed.
So I went by the leasing office last night and here's some inside scoop...
  • Move ins start along Main in February and the last portion of the building (along 19th) will be completed and opened by June.
  • Rents start at just above $1,000 for their "affordable" "nano" (400-500 SF) studios. The most expensive unit rents for $3,900. No utilities are included in the rent, neither is internet nor parking. Parking is available in the garage below for an additional $150 a month.
  • I asked what the restaurant will be and the leasing agent said she couldn't say yet because the restaurant wants to wait to release it themselves. However, she did say it's an already established local restaurant I would know. Also, the restaurant is not two stories and is located entirely on the roof and will have a wine bar too. The ground floor below the restaurant will actually be part of the lobby for the building.
  • A market will be going into the retail space along Main. The leasing agent said a new "DGX" store will being filling the space. This is Dollar General's equivalent of a "CityTarget." There are currently only around ten of these stores open in the US. Here are some photos from a new one that recently opened in Cleveland...Link: https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-ne ... gx-c-store
  • I also asked about a second phase or "City Club 2" and she said this is all that is planned at this point. Right now they are just focused on getting this project completed.
  • A couple other notes, there are over 50 different floor plans in this project. There are many two story units as well as some studio ground floor walk-ups. They also have "convertible" units that are part studio, part one bedroom with sliding doors/walls the can open or close the space. Unit features range from terraces to Juliet balconies, Murphy beds in smaller units, different finishes based on price point, and a rooftop pool on top of the old Midwest Hotel.
I don't think I'll be moving in here any time soon (their "affordable" is not affordable for me) but I really look forward to seeing this project coming together. It's gonna set a whole precedent for luxury living in the downtown market!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Great info, JLowe! I'm anxious for this development to open - wish I were younger and richer!! The DGX looks like a little bodega where people can get basics without having to go all the way to Cosentino's, but I'm just not a fan of Dollar General overall. I wasn't aware they were doing these types of stores - anyone know if the price point is more Dollar General or more convenience store?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah great info. The DGX is most unexpected. Good for Xroads to get a bodega type market though it doesn't sound like it offers anything Cosentino's doesn't, which is just a few stops away. I wonder if they'll add some housewares not available downtown as mini Targets focus on and rotate what sells and doesn't. Should then attract all downtowners if offering something unique.

edit: Apparently some limited housewares. This is the description of one DGX store...
Within approximately 3,400 sales floor square footage, DGX is expected to offer customers more items geared toward immediate consumption, including, for example, a soda fountain, coffee station and grab-and-go sandwiches. Additional items are expected to include a limited assortment of grocery offerings, pet supplies, candies and snacks, paper products, home cleaning supplies and an expanded health and beauty section. The store also is expected to feature items not typically found in quick-trip stores including a carefully-edited assortment of home, electronics and seasonal offerings. Finally, the store will include a checkout lane geared toward a high-volume, smaller basket size store with the goal of providing a quick and easy check out for customers.
Maybe they'll shrink what downtown has plenty off and dedicate more shelves with items unique to downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great info thanks
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JLowe2018 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 am I asked what the restaurant will be and the leasing agent said she couldn't say yet because the restaurant wants to wait to release it themselves. However, she did say it's an already established local restaurant I would know. Also, the restaurant is not two stories and is located entirely on the roof and will have a wine bar too. The ground floor below the restaurant will actually be part of the lobby for the building.
You don't have to look far too see which restaurant will be taking that space ;-)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Affare?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Close...think across the street instead of up it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rieger? That would be weird
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Would have to be an expansion? How does the Rieger leave the Rieger Hotel?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah would be odd if Rieger moves and would hope Manifesto stays.

Also, a second floor only new restaurant could be difficult to take hold so probably better that one already established takes the spot but odd if Rieger unless an expansion with a new concept

BTW, when this project completes the only lot that will be left on this block along Main will be the Rieger lot.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

That would be the perfect opportunity for somewhere like Freshwater to relocate, but it sounds like that isn't it due to the comments above. I'd love another wine concept from the Rieger folks since Ca Va has been so well-curated (but would hope they keep the main restaurant where it is). I could also see Extra Virgin moving and adding the wine concept.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about a Michael Smiths redo?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Perhaps a new Rieger concept.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been begging for Cava to come downtown but I don't think that's the right space for it.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

whopper bar!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:07 pm I've been begging for Cava to come downtown but I don't think that's the right space for it.
Have always thought Cava would be a good fit for the Delaware stretch in RM, and apparently the E side is being retrofitted for such small places along street. Could see it using some of the brick alley way that heads to park/CM. Downtown could use some small bars with a lot of character.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

From today...

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm guessing that had to be yesterday, cause it sure doesn't look like that today! :(
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

mean wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm I'm guessing that had to be yesterday, cause it sure doesn't look like that today! :(
What do you mean? Did something go wrong?