SOS: Save Our Scout

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

SOS: Save Our Scout

Post by moderne »

Had some out of town visitors that wanted to take some photos from a vantage point. Took them to the west segment of Penn Valley Park to the Scout statue. I was totally embarrassed and ashamed for my city. To approach you must park south of the blocked off access. The access is blocked by 2 concrete highway dividers that are totally covered in graffiti. You must walk in dirt after you pass between the concrete. There is a concrete walk that stops short of the actual statue. Along the way is trash. Just not fresh trash but also trash that was collected in plastic bags then left for some length of time that the bags have deteriorated and that trash is erupting out. The statue itself is missing half of the reins. The rest of the asphalt path encircling the tennis courts and skateboard area is cracked broken up and close to absolute deterioration. Cannot believe Parks and Rec has so neglected such a true icon of this city. I think the Scout should be removed from the park and taken to the Nelson-Atkins for its own safety and preservation. Other parks in posh neighborhoods have been adopted by their neighborhoods such as Loose Park and WardPkwy. Why doesn't Park Place do the same? West PV park is a jewel covered in filth and neglect. I know there could be grandiose plans to improve it such as replacing the tennis courts with a building with a Tavern in the Green type restaurant and daytime cafe with skate and bike rental, putting a ferris wheel somewhere where it would not block the Park Place view, maybe a Calatrava-esque bridge over Broadway connecting the 2 sections of park from behind the Pioneer Mother statue to behind the Scout. But there must be some cheaper ways to increase activity and access. Some more walkways down from the Scout leading to Broadway with a traffic light on Broadway so people can safely cross and traffic is slowed and calmed.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: SOS: Save Our Scout

Post by TheLastGentleman »

PVP needs a complete overhaul. Something clearly isn’t working
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Call the Conservancy!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 am Call the Conservancy!
But we’re concerned about the park, not plein air fest. ;-)