OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:06 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Why not remove the curbs that limit the sidewalk space and install steel tree well covers like the block to the north? That stretch is such an embarrassing design blunder.
I don't know Dave. You're familiar with design embarrassments, but not in regards to actual physical structures, more of the web-based kind.
Bro why are you taking everything so personally and being such a dick. Everything is flawed nothing is perfect,people understand that. But when you are just using whataboutism and telling everyone their wrong it makes
People trust you less. Just accept feedback and move on

Bro.... I agree the sidewalk in discussion is a mess. I think it’s hilarious that people call me out for being a dick when there’s plenty of dickish comments made on here by others. Dave is one of the biggest dicks on here! He will probably admit that. People say I’m defensive of Cordish but I haven’t seen anyone call Dave our for being hyper defensive about the streetcar or crossroads in general?

And spare me with the “whataboutism” and people trusting me. This is a forum and I’m not trying to get anyone’s vote.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kboish wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:32 pm DColeKC, has Cordish ever discussed replacing/re-organizing the sidewalks along Main from 670 to 12th? Those are the worst part of the district, experience wise.
To circle back on this. I did speak with a few higher ups last night and they are exploring options to try and make this stretch of sidewalks better. Sounds like it may not be possible to make it excellent but an improvement can be made.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 am

I don't know Dave. You're familiar with design embarrassments, but not in regards to actual physical structures, more of the web-based kind.
Bro why are you taking everything so personally and being such a dick. Everything is flawed nothing is perfect,people understand that. But when you are just using whataboutism and telling everyone their wrong it makes

Bro.... I agree the sidewalk in discussion is a mess. I think it’s hilarious that people call me out for being a dick when there’s plenty of dickish comments made on here by others. Dave is one of the biggest dicks on here! He will probably admit that. People say I’m defensive of Cordish but I haven’t seen anyone call Dave our for being hyper defensive about the streetcar or crossroads in general?

And spare me with the “whataboutism” and people trusting me. This is a forum and I’m not trying to get anyone’s vote.
Troll alert.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:57 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 am

Troll alert.
Prime example. People are so welcoming on here! Been here two weeks and I’ve been called defensive, a dick, fanboy and now a troll! Might want to re-educate yourself on what a troll is. I’m not trying to distract from anything.

Dave, for the record I do apologize for the personal dig. Not that you’re offended by it, but I made a mistake by doing it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good move. Appreciate that. Time to move on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:10 am Been here two weeks and I’ve been called defensive, a dick, fanboy and now a troll!
No surprise with the attitude out of the gate. You forgot "arrogant" BTW.

I can be a prick sometimes though, so...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

earthling wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:10 am Been here two weeks and I’ve been called defensive, a dick, fanboy and now a troll!
No surprise with the attitude out of the gate. You forgot "arrogant" BTW.

I can be a prick sometimes though, so...
Confident, arrogant... whatever, this isn’t a safe space and I’ve been called worse. It’s hard to translate people’s true personality on a Internet forum. I’m none of the things said about me in person, but I’m ok with people judging and interpreting my comments however they’d like. Not here to make friends, I’m here to offer a different perspective than I’ve seen presented here before.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Well I know many who are confident that don't come across as self-important but I'll give you benefit of doubt moving forward.

I throw out a lot of crazy ideas here just to get discussion on the bigger picture. And I'll get justifiably bashed if I'm relentlessly nitpicky, which happens a lot - and I'll make an effort to adjust. It's what we do here. When getting slapped, it's probably mostly the approach, not the true person - adjust. And yeah it can be hard to do in a forum.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So back to getting rid of the giganto planter boxes on narrow sidewalks...
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Yes, please, back on topic
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Via owners of Protein House - They will be moving out. A new tenant has already been secured.

Landlord has been pushing Mixx to stay open until 6pm but no luck yet.

Flying Saucer management has been taken over by the same company who runs most of the other venues which is ECI.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I really wanted to like protein house but I never found a fit in my life.

Thanks for the updates.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There was something sterile about Protein House, as if cryogenically frozen veges using a flavor extraction contraption. There's a tasty small chain on E Coast called Digg Inn with charred veges, giving it much more dynamic. These are the kinds of 'chains' that would be nice to get downtown, especially the mixed bowl thing going on. A local doing something like this in one of the foodie halls or City Market would work too.

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It was also expensive! $13 Bison burger for example.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Wonder how many years it will take to fill the Kaldi's spot at 12th/Main. If Sprint/Tmobile merger happens, could see them combining or expanding into that higher profile spot when Sprint P&L lease is up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm shocked Kaldi's spot isn't filled
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

After a decade in the top job, here's why Cordish's local leader sees an even brighter future for KC
According to Benjamin, the Kansas City entertainment district continues to perform well in the market. He reports that the district is 94% leased and that sales are up 10% this year.
One Light is 96% leased, and Two Light is 97% leased, according to Benjamin, and the towers are seeing rent growth. He said that while those numbers are great, it also reflects how strong the multifamily market is in Downtown as a whole.

When Cordish started working on One Light, the downtown area had about 19,000 residents. Today, that's closer to 29,000.
"As we've worked on the design for Three Light, you want to differentiate them so they're not repetitive or boring, but you want to do it in a way where the quality is the same across the buildings," he said.

With the recent revelation that work is expected to begin on Three Light sometime in early 2020, the company said it pushed back the start date to accommodate changes in design.
Cordish in KC for long haul

The local Cordish leader also wanted to clear up a perception that because the company is based in Maryland that it isn't investing in its Kansas City office. He said that isn't true and that the company employs about 1,000 in Kansas City, which is its second-largest office outside of Baltimore.

Benjamin said Cordish is in Kansas City to stay, and its workforce here continues to grow.

Benjamin said when he was last in St. Louis, where the developer also does business, he was asked how the city can become more like Kansas City.
https://tinyurl.com/v2w58tb
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

"As we've worked on the design for Three Light, you want to differentiate them so they're not repetitive or boring, but you want to do it in a way where the quality is the same across the buildings," he said.

With the recent revelation that work is expected to begin on Three Light sometime in early 2020, the company said it pushed back the start date to accommodate changes in design.

Well that sounds promising.

I wonder how much that decision had to do with pressure from this board?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am "As we've worked on the design for Three Light, you want to differentiate them so they're not repetitive or boring, but you want to do it in a way where the quality is the same across the buildings," he said.

I talk to Nick a few times a week even though I no longer work for Cordish. I can tell you he listens and values others opinions but I wouldn't say he feels any "pressure" from this board. He does understand how important public input is and Cordish wants to improve with each building.

I pass on much of what I see here, he's never defensive about criticism although I can be.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am "As we've worked on the design for Three Light, you want to differentiate them so they're not repetitive or boring, but you want to do it in a way where the quality is the same across the buildings," he said.

I had assumed that the change in design centered around the building getting 22 additional units as well as the budget being finalized. I hope that a bigger 3 Light isn’t coming at the expense of a delayed or smaller 4 Light.