beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: beer.

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Do you think City Barrel is making a mistake by micro distributing its beer to liquor stores? I don't mind paying for high dollar beer and limited releases, etc but I was kind of shocked that i saw a 4 pack of City Barrel Kettle Sours selling for 18 bucks (With Tax) at Gomers. I would think you would want to build up a reputation first as high quality amazing beer but at that price point i think it would turn a lot of people off and it could be a mistake and backfire. Pretty much all the beer they sell at liquor stores is 13-15 bucks a 4 pack.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I somehow paid $28 for a crowler at City Barrel when they first opened. I still have not recovered.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Their beer is pretty good, though. Better crafted than most I've tried in KC.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Stopped into Rochester Brewing on First Friday. Had a hazy IPA (b/c of course) and a black currant sour. Really enjoyed both. Quality offerings in a nice space. I wish them well and will return.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:51 pm Stopped into Rochester Brewing on First Friday. Had a hazy IPA (b/c of course) and a black currant sour. Really enjoyed both. Quality offerings in a nice space. I wish them well and will return.
I've been glad to see them work the dual coffee roasting/beer brewing concept. They have terrific morning hours considering how long they stay open every day, and the coffee is solid.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

https://www.nimblebrewing.com/

Tough time to open, but they appear to have opened for can sales last week. Part of “brewer alley” with Double Shift and Border. I haven’t given them a try yet but will to offer some support.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

droopy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am https://www.nimblebrewing.com/

Tough time to open, but they appear to have opened for can sales last week. Part of “brewer alley” with Double Shift and Border. I haven’t given them a try yet but will to offer some support.
These are good folks. If you are reading this thread, you are drinking beer anyway... please support them.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

droopy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 am https://www.nimblebrewing.com/

Their one barrel (31 gallon) system would appear to be a blessing right now. That's pretty small (and cheap to operate) by brewing standards.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Tried buying nimble over the weekend but it was sold out.

Speaking of selling out. Every Thursday BKS releases new beers, they start selling online at 7pm and are sold out by 7:04pm
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

BKS is absolutely killing it lately with their New England IPA releases- I'd put them up against any brewery in the country that specializes in the style
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

swid wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm BKS is absolutely killing it lately with their New England IPA releases- I'd put them up against any brewery in the country that specializes in the style
I agree. BKS and Alma Mader are probably my 2 favorite breweries in the city right now.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i wish BKS would have slightly more expansive hours. Does anyone know if those are forthcoming? (Putting aside for the moment covid-19). seems like being open to the public 2 afternoons a week would not really cut it?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

BKS had been open Friday through Sunday (and the occasional Thursday) pre-pandemic, but those hours were still pretty limited when compared to other brewery taprooms.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

chrizow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am i wish BKS would have slightly more expansive hours. Does anyone know if those are forthcoming? (Putting aside for the moment covid-19). seems like being open to the public 2 afternoons a week would not really cut it?
Agree. I delayed my first visit there for months due to the extremely limited hours. When I finally did make a visit, I had to stand pressed against the wall with my beer because everyone pretty much has to all go there at the same time.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Pathlight Brewing (11200 W 75th St, Shawnee) "opened" today in that orders can be placed now for pickup starting on Friday.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Torn Label is expanding into a larger space in their current location (and will start serving food as well) starting on April 23rd.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

BKS and Alma Mader are both reopening for on-premises service this weekend.

Also, Red Sash Brewing will become brewery #8 in the Crossroads this summer. While I would have hoped that a rising tide would eventually lift all boats, it's only lifted about 2.5 of them so far.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

We have our own little pearl district here now, we need a brewery themed boutique hotel in the middle of all these breweries or something now
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:25 pm BKS and Alma Mader are both reopening for on-premises service this weekend.

Also, Red Sash Brewing will become brewery #8 in the Crossroads this summer. While I would have hoped that a rising tide would eventually lift all boats, it's only lifted about 2.5 of them so far.
If a person was going to list those 2.5, what would they be?

Top of my list right now, is Alma Mader. Those folks can make a beer.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is there an easy list or map available of the crossroads ones for visitors?