Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:38 pm In comparison Strata is proposed at about $130M for 250K sqft and 25 floors including above ground garage. The Sun Life building in CC is 11 floors with 350K sqft, can handle about 1200-1500 employees (using traditional cubicles), larger floor plates and underground garage.

Given the salary avg mentioned, W&R might be planning on more private offices, smaller floor plates and therefore taller 'skyline changing' building?
If that is the case, I imagine all those highly-paid executive are going to want good views for their money.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Let's just hope the architecture's good
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm The overview says they would be "part" of the new building, so I think it would be safe to assume there will be additional office space, or even hotel/apartment space included.
They are part of a bigger development, supposedly closer to $200 million+ total.

It would be neat if they placed a $100million office tower and a $100 million apartment tower over a common use garage. ex: the 16 floor Strata Office segment on top of 20-25 floors of residential and parking.

Below is a concept that I produced earlier tonight:
- Composition: 7 floors(70') of garage, 19 floors of office, (228', 16K SQFT Floor Plates), and 33 floors of residential (300', 12K SQFT Floor Plates)
- Height Total: 598' Tall, 59 Floors
- SQFT Total: 724,500 SQFT
- Site: 13th and Grand
- Pricing: $230 Million
Strata - $130M for 16 F office, 7 F Parking;
3 Light - $130M for 7 F Parking/Retail, 23 F Apt.
IIRC, both developments spend up to $30M on parking. Share a 700-900 space garage between both users.
- Model: Sketchup + Lumion + Open Street Maps(close but not entirely accurate)

Eastern Birds Eye

City Market View

Town Pavilion

Two Light Amenity Deck

North East Bird Eye

Crossroads Bird Eye

Mid-Crossroads
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice conceptual depictions. 13th/Grand seems like a better possibility than other sites mentioned. And I see that you made lower floors with larger plates, which makes sense. And could see three tiers. Backoffice workers on the lower floors and execs/key employees and their aids on some of the upper floors with smaller floor plates and residential on top of that.

Not that it's plausible but is the Three Light construction start delay perhaps related to W&R interest? Perhaps easier to add more floors to a project close to starting construction than planning a new building from scratch. Maybe better 360 views too than 13th/Grand.

If this building approaches near 600' they may as well go for a new tallest and pass One KC Place at around 625'.

edits: Oops, I meant 13th/grand and changed three tier building.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

626 here we come,
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

A 600 foot tall tower, especially east of Grand, would date almost every pic of KC I have :). It's bad enough that I can't keep up with most cities changing their skyline but I have always been able to depend on KC pretty much never having a drastic skyline changing building being added. Most people can't tell the difference between the KC skyline in the 1980s and today. This would really suck. sarcasm.

I really hope this happens :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:20 am Nice conceptual depictions. 13th/Grand seems like a better possibility than other sites mentioned. And I see that you made lower floors with larger plates, which makes sense. And could see three tiers. Backoffice workers on the lower floors and execs/key employees and their aids on some of the upper floors with smaller floor plates and residential on top of that.

Not that it's plausible but is the Three Light construction start delay perhaps related to W&R interest? Perhaps easier to add more floors to a project close to starting construction than planning a new building from scratch. Maybe better 360 views too than 13th/Grand.

If this building approaches near 600' they may as well go for a new tallest and pass One KC Place at around 625'.

edits: Oops, I meant 13th/grand and changed three tier building.
1. The 1st tier (barely noticeable) is parking. 2nd Tier is the office portion. 3rd is residential. Residential's narrower floor plates allow you to more quickly add height while making the overall tower feel slenderer.

2. Cordish is more likely to favor Four Light or a standalone office building(it has been discussed)

3. My building would realistically reach 630+ if you consider that the ground floor, sky lobbies, and amenities floors would all be 1.5-3 height of a normal floor.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Avenue Logistics in OP moving to Xroads. If downtown builds the office spaces, they will come.
“When we were looking for our new offices, we wanted a vibrant environment that appeal to our team,” Brad Jerwick, vice president of Avenue Logistics, said in a statement.

The Chicago-based freight brokerage logistics firm will be the second tenant in the three-story building at 215 E. 18th St. redeveloped by Vince Bryant. Working Space, an office interior and furniture business, occupies the first floor.
https://cityscenekc.com/avenue-logistic ... rossroads/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Waddell and Reed tower proposed back in the sixties for 9th & Main was to be 20 floors. Wonder how many employees they had then compared to now and how space needs for brokers has changed with technology.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

-deleted-

Nvd mind. Thought I found something, but I read it wrong.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Word is that W-R will go in at 14th & Baltimore, Southwest corner. I think it is one of the old convention hotel sites, they would demo the low rise building there. Height is 17 stories.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

17? Wiennies

This would help with a cap though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

jasty5 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:40 am Word is that W-R will go in at 14th & Baltimore, Southwest corner. I think it is one of the old convention hotel sites, they would demo the low rise building there. Height is 17 stories.
That was one of the three locations that brokers speculated on a couple weeks ago for a $90M project. The other rumor was a $200M multifunction building with perhaps residential on top. Rag Points for you if you're right but kinda hope you're wrong and it turns out to be the latter.
Here are three of the locations the brokers identified that could provide what Waddell might need:

- Copaken Brooks owns a site at 12th Street and Grand Boulevard — just north of Sprint Center — that would offer more than two-thirds of a city block.

- VanTrust Real Estate LLC, has been working with the city for several years to find a way to develop a site on the northern edge of Washington Square Park, near Crown Center.

- An affiliate of DST Systems Inc. owns two adjacent parcels of land at the southwest corner of 14th Street and Baltimore Avenue. DST, which SS&C Technologies acquired in April 2018, has a long association with Waddell & Reed.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -suit.html
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So not really a "skyline addition" as stated in their incentive request.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

IIRC 're-creating the skyline' is what they said. That would be more inline with a $200M building, not a $90M building.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

it sucks it won't be taller but at least it's bringing more density downtown. i think our best bet for a decent highrise will be the upcoming 4 light since it's supposed to be taller than 3 light.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The SW corner of 14th/Baltimore...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm all for a new 17 story tower, especially at that location. Hope it is a signature design.

We have a lot of cranes in our future if everything planned actually gets going in the near future. 3-light (30flrs), 4-light (30+), Strata (25+), WR tower (17), Muehlbach Office Prjct (14), Track 215 (12?), Hyatt House (11?), and 9th St.-Cambria Hotel (6 stories- probably no tower). I'd say Strata and 4-light are questionable. Everything else is pretty locked in.

And who knows what other announcements may be around the corner. People keep talking about a new Crown Center tower. Anyone know of any other rumors?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 am 17? Wiennies

This would help with a cap though.
It would be cool to see WR go up in these lots and the Bravicci hotel to the north.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

earthling wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:28 am
jasty5 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:40 am Word is that W-R will go in at 14th & Baltimore, Southwest corner. I think it is one of the old convention hotel sites, they would demo the low rise building there. Height is 17 stories.
That was one of the three locations that brokers speculated on a couple weeks ago for a $90M project. The other rumor was a $200M multifunction building with perhaps residential on top. Rag Points for you if you're right but kinda hope you're wrong and it turns out to be the latter.
Here are three of the locations the brokers identified that could provide what Waddell might need:

- Copaken Brooks owns a site at 12th Street and Grand Boulevard — just north of Sprint Center — that would offer more than two-thirds of a city block.

- VanTrust Real Estate LLC, has been working with the city for several years to find a way to develop a site on the northern edge of Washington Square Park, near Crown Center.

- An affiliate of DST Systems Inc. owns two adjacent parcels of land at the southwest corner of 14th Street and Baltimore Avenue. DST, which SS&C Technologies acquired in April 2018, has a long association with Waddell & Reed.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -suit.html
My source is someone aware of the design and peripherally involved. I’d love to be wrong and find out it’s a combo tower of some kind. I do think concentrating all of this new development is actually better because you are really going to continue creating some continuous, critical mass of new construction that will be more appealing for companies.