Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:21 pm Schmidt wasn't a Google cofounder, he was brought in to be ceo early on :)

Google does have an office downtown because one of my friends works there. I have never bothered to ask where though, but I'm guessing that's it.

Replica I think is quite small. They're probably sharing space or having people work remotely since they're hiding their KC address. Or maybe still figuring things out.
There is or was a Fiber office around the Garment District.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ah right, forgot GFBR has an office at 9th/Broadway. Might be shared with other Alphabet/Google divisions like Sidewalk Labs/Replica.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, Husch-Blackwell is still showing up on Google as having an office at 12th and Main. I used Google map labels as the starting point when putting together a list along with EDC-KC, and Business Journal lists.

https://tinyurl.com/yxrtpzcm
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Local brokers say W&R are leaning towards a build to suit building.
Here are three of the locations the brokers identified that could provide what Waddell might need:

- Copaken Brooks owns a site at 12th Street and Grand Boulevard — just north of Sprint Center — that would offer more than two-thirds of a city block.

- VanTrust Real Estate LLC, has been working with the city for several years to find a way to develop a site on the northern edge of Washington Square Park, near Crown Center.

- An affiliate of DST Systems Inc. owns two adjacent parcels of land at the southwest corner of 14th Street and Baltimore Avenue. DST, which SS&C Technologies acquired in April 2018, has a long association with Waddell & Reed.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -suit.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think I'd pick 12th and grand out of those three. That'll give them one of the premier locations downtown too for a high profile new tower.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The DST parcels would be very prominent, but at risk of raising the ire of KC if it blocks the P&L building out of the skyline view from the south.
Last edited by Critical_Mass on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

12th and grand seems like the easiest site to work with also. The others would involve negotiating elevation changes
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 pm The DST parcels would be very prominent, but at risk of raising the ire of KC if it blocks the P&L building out of the skyline view from the south.
That is my preferred site. I think WR would be more inclined to go vertical on a smaller parcel. Other benefits include the potential for sharing garage space with the new 14th Wyandotte Hotel or 4 Light.
About the only consensus the Kansas City Business Journal found in its conversations with brokers was that the company seeks roughly 230,000 to 250,000 square feet for the 1,039 employees it plans to relocate.
In theory, Strata is large enough to house WR and very could well be the secret tenant that Copaken Brooks already has lined up.
If it's something else, we are talking about a 10-16 floor office building + parking. This could easily be built in a way that places the tower to the west of KCPL.
I think I'd pick 12th and grand out of those three. That'll give them one of the premier locations downtown too for a high profile new tower.
My worry is that since the site is soo large. We would see a building on the shorter side of the above range get built.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

I’m thinking it’s the Van Trust site...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Lets separate which sites we want from which sites we think are most likely to be developed. Normalthings, what do you think is the most likely location for them to go to?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

New documents posted for 'Project Decoy' at the upcoming EEZ meeting on October 11th. It's not hard to decipher what company this incentive would be directed to.

Overview
Scroecard

TLDR - The documents talk about a 1,000-person financial service company with avg salaries of $110,000 moving downtown that is new to Missouri, but not Kansas City. Furthermore, they would be building a new build-to-suit headquarters that will be an addition to the downtown skyline. Additionally, the documents reference the that the company would like to add 120 more employees at their new headquarters.

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

" This project will help recreate the skyline in Kansas City by adding a quality new construction high rise and continue to increase the population of individuals working everyday in downtown Kansas City. "

A 1000-1200 employee building wouldn't be about 10-15 floors depending on plate size, maybe even shorter/smaller given modern office space with shared tables and fewer cubicles. Not likely to 're-create' the skyline A multi-tenant building in mind? Or perhaps a 50% pre-leased, 50% spec'd larger building? Maybe even 30/70?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Here comes East Village Corporate Woods.

/s
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Maybe they’ll just build in a low rise area so even a short building affects the skyline. The long awaited quality hill skyscraper!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Additionally, the documents reference the that the company would like to add 120 more employees at their new headquarters.
Oh nice, they'll be able to rehire the 150 people they just laid off.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... yoffs.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm " This project will help recreate the skyline in Kansas City by adding a quality new construction high rise and continue to increase the population of individuals working everyday in downtown Kansas City. "

A 1000-1200 employee building wouldn't be about 10-15 floors depending on plate size, maybe even shorter/smaller given modern office space with shared tables and fewer cubicles. Not likely to 're-create' the skyline A multi-tenant building in mind? Or perhaps a 50% pre-leased, 50% spec'd larger building? Maybe even 30/70?
$200 million buys alot of building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I get this feeling the rendering for this is going to be epic.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

In comparison Strata is proposed at about $130M for 250K sqft and 25 floors including above ground garage. The Sun Life building in CC is 11 floors with 350K sqft, can handle about 1200-1500 employees (using traditional cubicles), larger floor plates and underground garage.

Given the salary avg mentioned, W&R might be planning on more private offices, smaller floor plates and therefore taller 'skyline changing' building?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yeah, the trend of open/shared spaces requiring less square footage is more for tech/startup/creative businesses. I think W&R will be more on the traditional side with plenty of private offices. I think they could be over 250k sqft by themselves.

The overview says they would be "part" of the new building, so I think it would be safe to assume there will be additional office space, or even hotel/apartment space included.