Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's an empty spot next to Burrito Bros. That it? They used it for extra seating in the winter but may have decided not to renew lease. Have felt that CM should provide general seating instead of businesses having to add extra dedicated seating.

Is it currently a catering only business? Would be surprising if CM would allow wasting the space not accessible to visitors, so would think there'd be a counter.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On City Market seating... instead of dedicated seating per restaurant, CM could get these cheap almost disposable table/chairs and place in every nook/cranny around CM. And place under the center shelters during weekdays. NYC bought 100s of thousands of these for pocket parks. They are so cheap they didn't care if people stole them. Union Station should also place these at the very large E transit platform.

nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 pm On City Market seating... instead of dedicated seating per restaurant, CM could get these cheap almost disposable table/chairs and place in every nook/cranny around CM. And place under the center shelters during weekdays. NYC bought 100s of thousands of these for pocket parks. They are so cheap they didn't care if people stole them. Union Station should also place these at the very large E transit platform.

YES PLEASE!!! Especially at union station.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:29 pm Feed Supply Market moving to city market?

http://www.feedsupplymarket.com/

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 618d4e7eb8
Is this the place that was up in Gladstone? I heard it was pretty great but they closed before I got a chance to check them out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On 5th/Grand potentially getting Domino's, thoughts on a chain going into an area as 'quaint' for lack of better word as River Market is? Dominos apparently and potentially would be the first one. Is RM perhaps a revolving door neighborhood that doesn't care? Is also said that Millennials aren't as anti-chain as say counterculture factions of GenXr's. Many if not most moving there are also from the burbs, who are accustomed to chains. I'd 'fight' it if I lived in the neighborhood but I have an ideal imagine for RM that others probably don't care about (and am a cynical GenXr).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think a dominos at that location is very impactful to the culture of the neighborhood. Same with the Papa John's in crossroads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Though is directly on streetcar line, and could start a trend if no one cares. Xroads is a huge area and a mashup of anything goes, though still needs some guidelines and ideally downtown chains would stick to the Loop, which seems more fitting. RM is worthy of maintaining the quaint neighborhood vibe it's been developing.

If RM says nothing, expect more encroachment.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am Though is directly on streetcar line, and could start a trend if no one cares. Xroads is a huge area and a mashup of anything goes, though still needs some guidelines and ideally downtown chains would stick to the Loop, which seems more fitting. RM is worthy of maintaining the quaint neighborhood vibe it's been developing.

If RM says nothing, expect more encroachment.
Presently Dominos is literally on the streetcar line. 531 Grand is a block from the actual track and couple of blocks from a stop.

Does Kansas City have the luxury of fighting retail businesses? It wasn't but a couple of years ago that Domino's opened and it was sign that maybe downtown was actually becoming healthy for retail. Do I want to live in a world populated only by Starbuckses and Mcdonald'ses? No. Do I loathe their existence? Not really.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Westport and Brookside have traditionally 'fought' chains with mixed results. Would be sad to see chains in RM but expect that most here wouldn't care. What do you those who live in RM think?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the Brookside pearl-clutchers on Nextdoor were bereft at Starbucks infiltrating the neighborhood and replacing....Mr. Goodcents, another chain (albeit a local chain)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is not a hi I'd even climb up much less die on if I lived in river market.

Now if McDonald's wants to replace bo lings?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Desire to exclude chains in certain neighborhoods have their place if that's what the neighborhood wants. RM is one of those that would be nice to see chain free. If RM says nothing, expect more. It's up to the neighborhood but I sometimes wonder if it's too much of a rotating door for neighborhood to shape the outcome and let developers run with it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I guess I'm not sure what you are describing. A few people complaining on here? Media coverage? An overlay district ban?

Seems to me river market is one of the neighborhoods with the most tenured and establish residents
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just bringing it up as a discussion point now that the first one hit RM that may set precedent for more. And yes, discussions here often spill over beyond the forum.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Clustertruck is a chain (albeit in only a few cities) and no one complained when it moved into the RM. I don't see Domino's as all that much different. The locals who love all the other great local pizza choices in the neighborhood aren't going to suddenly stop patronizing the local places just because a national chain that is delivery-only moves its ovens a few blocks closer. The exact location of a Dominos doesn't matter one bit, those who want it don't care where it's physically located, all they care about is being in the delivery area. Dominos pulling out of downtown would be a worse situation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm Just bringing it up as a discussion point now that the first one hit RM that may set precedent for more. And yes, discussions here often spill over beyond the forum.
Agreed. Trying to make sure I understand what you were thinking.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I suppose I imagine more of a 39th Street or Waldo situation. Chains and locals essentially co-existing. A Chipotle burrito has its time and place. If its between Chipotle and Burrito Bros I'm going local almost every time.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anti "chain" is so 90's :). Seriously, not sure anybody really cares anymore. The biggest and most vibrant cities and their hoods all across the world are full of chains and non chains. Everybody patronizes both. I have more locals direct me to chains than to local places it seems. Sometimes people even prefer the chains. How do you even define a chain? One location? Only in the metro? Only in the mid Atlantic?

Regardless, I personally think downtown KC could use some chains. Hopefully the crossroads maintains a lot of local, more unique places, which I'm sure it will, but even the crossroads will eventually have a lot of chain places if it fully develops.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is still common in oldest parts of cities to steer away from most large mainstream chains, especially pizza chains. Old Town Alexandria has Starbucks, CVS and Chipotle but that's about it. My brother's last two neighborhoods in Brooklyn has 0 major chains outside Sbucks and hotel chains and there would be an uproar if Dominos stepped in. RM is one of those kinds of old city areas. I do think The Loop needs more chains and Xroads will get a handful but do kinda lean against them for RM. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90s.