Site Logo

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Site Logo

Post by bahua »

I found a public domain image of the skyline, and cropped it to my delight. Unfortunately, that is where my graphic design prowess ends. I seek now a talented, or at least competent graphic designer or designers to improve this image or make a better one. I would like for the site to have some kind of branding other than the forum software, and I know there's enough talent around here to make it happen.

Now, on the matter of payment: there isn't any. This is not a gig for exposure or attribution. Please don't post me to r/forexposure or r/choosingbeggars. I am looking for a member of the community who is willing to donate his or her time to the pursuit of improving the site. I manage this forum in my personal time, and with my real money, and I don't ask for your money in return, as it is important to me that this site be free and open. I believe strongly that artists deserve fair pay for their work, but this is a site without a profit motive, or indeed any profit at all. It exists in the red, entirely to provide the world with a place to talk about Kansas City. If your graphic design talent cannot be given freely for that purpose, I do not blame you at all, but please don't be upset or haggle. I do this for free for you, and I hope very much that someone in the community is willing to do the same.

Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you can help.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Site Logo

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’ve actually had some ideas rolling around in my head for a while. When I get a chance I’ll sketch some of them out for feedback. Is there a specific size ratio we should be working with?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm not married to any particular aesthetic. As such, dimensions are up to you. I like the look that fills the header horizontally, but that's my own preference, and from the look of it now I clearly have no idea what I'm doing.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I spent a great deal of time and effort once designing a css theme for this forum. It was a black and white, old-timey streetcar type theme. I was very proud of it. I incorporated an oldschool mid-Century streetcar in the logo and everything.

Then when it rolled out everyone bitched and whined and moaned about it until we reverted to the default phpBB theme. I'm never putting any effort into aesthetics again.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I love the way it looks now. Thanks!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS SO DON'T USE IT YET

I didn't want to use the cliche view from Liberty Memorial, as nice as it is. Instead, I chose the view from the north. Whenever I'm driving down the Broadway Extension it always feels like I'm in some sort of art deco transporation poster, with rail, the highway and the river all going in the same direction towards downtown with airplanes landing in Wheeler airport. Downtown also looks very tall from this angle. Very "city on a hill."

When I get to a more final design, I will stylize the skyline (maybe in an art deco style.) It will also all be original art. The below picture was made just to show what the layout will be.

This is how I was imagining it would look when implemented, if possible. If the search bar can't be moved, let me know so I can design around it.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Always liked that view and it's not a common one. Night shots of downtown also make nice web site headers.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Another question: Are the colors of the website able to change from the current blues?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Everything is customizable with sufficient patience and css black magic.

Just be aware that changing anything causes a never-ending avalanche of complaint.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

How about something black and white... perhaps an old-timey streetcar type theme?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

:P
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I personally would prefer a dark mode, as I want everything dark now, but whatever people want is fine with me. My biggest concern about customizing the theming is how to handle it after the next and all future releases of phpbb, wherein deep structural changes seem to be relatively common, frequently obviating customizations. I think that for the moment the conversation should stick to just the header image.

I have tried resizing the image that's currently being used, but it moves everything around in an ugly way.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

...that being said, I definitely prefer the view from the north. I also love the view from Strawberry Hill.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I'm reworking the banner in a new style. I made this doodle of the P&L building as a test run.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:40 pm I'm reworking the banner in a new style. I made this doodle of the P&L building as a test run.

What a nerd. jk jk. Glad to see this progress, I still like your more whimsical hand drawn version more.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Finally got around to making something. Feedback and criticism welcome!

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:30 pm Finally got around to making something. Feedback and criticism welcome!

I like it. Shows a different view of the skyline. I also like that KCK has a "guest" appearance in this.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nicely done.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Very nice.
kboish