Four Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Four Light

Post by DColeKC » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Can we stop with the “projects” term? 4 identical two lights still wouldn’t come close to the projects terminology which refers to low budget, low rent identical buildings.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:15 pm

By projects I mean lazy sameness/similarness, not low rent. When it's clear it's part of a single builder.

DColeKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by DColeKC » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 am

earthling wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:15 pm
By projects I mean lazy sameness/similarness, not low rent. When it's clear it's part of a single builder.
It’s not lazy, it’s on purpose. I’d understand using the derogatory term “projects” if the buildings were basic and identical but they’re not. Maybe not as different from each other as some would like, but at the end of the day they’ve got to be more concerned with the people who may want to live in them.

They’re building the best possible towers they can in this market. By the time 4 is done, they’ll have half a billion into them. Add that with their other investments and we are really close to a billion yet you don’t see “Cordish” on hardly anything.

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:02 pm

DColeKC wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:08 am
earthling wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:15 pm
It’s not lazy, it’s on purpose. I’d understand using the derogatory term “projects” if the buildings were basic and identical but they’re not. Maybe not as different from each other as some would like, but at the end of the day they’ve got to be more concerned with the people who may want to live in them.

They’re building the best possible towers they can in this market. By the time 4 is done, they’ll have half a billion into them. Add that with their other investments and we are really close to a billion yet you don’t see “Cordish” on hardly anything.
Three and Four Light will be good looking buildings. I think 3's smaller floor plates and 6 extra floors will go a long way to differentiate it from 2. It will shed some of the "blocky" feeling that you get with Two Light. 4 Light has the potential to literally tower over the rest of the Cordish highrises.

The Cordish "wall" will eventually become obscured behind new development in the Crossroads. The 16th and Main project that fell through, for example, would have blocked alot of Three Light.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by earthling » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm done after this summary... A simple change like red glass with black trim for Three would take "the projects" appearance (loose form of term) or 'tract development' mostly out of the equation, giving Two relatively more its own identity rather than looking like Three's inferior sibling while breaking up the otherwise planned row of similar monotonous glass buildings, including Loews. It's just an opinion. ;)

nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am

which development are you referring to at 16th?

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm

nickyrosstheboss wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am
A recent proposal that died before being publically announced.

kenrbnj
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kenrbnj » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:45 pm

normalthings wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm
nickyrosstheboss wrote:
..Without divulging information you might have in-confidence: Could you advise what class of use the project might have been? (Residential? Hospitality? Office?) Also, what was the general reason the proposed use failed?

Again, as best as you're able to divulge.

normalthings
Penntower
Penntower

Post by normalthings » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:25 pm

kenrbnj wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:45 pm
normalthings wrote:
nickyrosstheboss wrote:
..Without divulging information you might have in-confidence: Could you advise what class of use the project might have been? (Residential? Hospitality? Office?) Also, what was the general reason the proposed use failed?

I won't say more than what other posters have previously said about it. Something very exciting was in the works but it fell through.

smh
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by smh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:33 pm

normalthings wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:25 pm
kenrbnj wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:45 pm
normalthings wrote:

I won't say more than what other posters have previously said about it. Something very exciting was in the works but it fell through.
Main Event