KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by beautyfromashes »

I did see a vehicle get towed today for being in the streetcar lane. Perhaps, you all felt the affect of that?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

806 arrives this Monday. July ridership also highest on record.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... onday.html

July 5th was highest ridership day so far....
http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... ship-1.pdf

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

#806 arrival delayed one week.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

We recently moved to Houston so it was nice today when my wife called and said that she just passed a RideKC Streetcar on Hwy 6 to the West of Houston. I'm guessing this is 806 on its final delivery to KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NewsTransportation & Development
Move Up Cincinnati

This Kansas City business owner was anti-streetcar; now he's its biggest fan. Here's why
'Now all of a sudden, I'm eating crow
'

https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportatio ... -heres-why
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NewsTransportation & Development
Move Up Cincinnati

Kansas City's streetcar is about to double in length and investment. Why not here in Cincinnati?
Despite similarities, Cincy's keeps struggling

https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportatio ... cincinnati
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:40 am NewsTransportation & Development
Move Up Cincinnati

This Kansas City business owner was anti-streetcar; now he's its biggest fan. Here's why
'Now all of a sudden, I'm eating crow
'

https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportatio ... -heres-why
What a thoughtful guy. Takes a lot to admit your mistakes, takes even more to admit that your behavior wasn't right. Good for him.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I didn't remember the Michael's people being that against it. Pretty cool to see it positively impact them.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

deleted.
Last edited by langosta on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Deleted
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More from Cincinnati:

City Council motion floats idea of independent, nonprofit streetcar authority
"If at some point there is a nonprofit board, similar to what exists in Kansas City, and it was to be transitioned over to that nonprofit board, would we have to do all of this again?" Landsman asked Jeric during a committee meeting last week.

Unlike Cincinnati's streetcar, Kansas City's urban rail connector system operates under the auspices of the KC Streetcar Transit Authority, which works in concert with the city government to maintain streetcar business.
https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportatio ... -authority
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Apparently 806 testing in progress. Is showing up on streetcar tracker...

http://kcstreetcar.org/route/streetcar-tracker/

They've also finally added 805 to this tracker.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:32 am Apparently 806 testing in progress. Is showing up on streetcar tracker...

http://kcstreetcar.org/route/streetcar-tracker/

They've also finally added 805 to this tracker.
From yesterday, 806 parked before testing began. Is nice that they got 805 and 806 on the streetcar tracker above, which is my favorite one. But when out of service it messes up with the minutes to each stop as it assumes 806 is in service. Need to take cars out of service off the trackers.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

A presentation by the Urban League to the council during Business Session today recommended removing the city's $2million annual contribution to the streetcar budget and using those funds to help pay for free KCATA services.

I don't know about whether that is a viable proposal or not, but the most interesting response to that was a choice quote afterwards from Hall who said, "I'm all for taking money away from the streetcar. That is the budget line item I hate the most." It was hard to tell from Ch 2 what the reaction from the rest of the council was, but Loar (T&I Chair) was certainly nodding her head vigorously.

Different times.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

kboish wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:33 pm A presentation by the Urban League to the council during Business Session today recommended removing the city's $2million annual contribution to the streetcar budget and using those funds to help pay for free KCATA services.

I don't know about whether that is a viable proposal or not, but the most interesting response to that was a choice quote afterwards from Hall who said, "I'm all for taking money away from the streetcar. That is the budget line item I hate the most." It was hard to tell from Ch 2 what the reaction from the rest of the council was, but Loar (T&I Chair) was certainly nodding her head vigorously.

Different times.
Hmm...all for (limited) free KCATA service but not at the risk of losing free streetcar (sic people mover) in a high density district (could be higher). Put me up on the podium to jump n' shout about the benefits/necessity of a free people mover in the CBD.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

ToDactivist wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:33 pm A presentation by the Urban League to the council during Business Session today recommended removing the city's $2million annual contribution to the streetcar budget and using those funds to help pay for free KCATA services.

Different times.
Hmm...all for (limited) free KCATA service but not at the risk of losing free streetcar (sic people mover) in a high density district (could be higher). Put me up on the podium to jump n' shout about the benefits/necessity of a free people mover in the CBD.
Exactly, let's screw up something that works to free up not enough money.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Killing the goose that laid the golden egg because they don't like paying to feed the goose seems like a bad idea.

That said, it's certainly worth discussing if the subsidy can be reduced within the context of a conservative assessment around financing coming in from the district.

But the number needs to be realistic, not a political knee jerk reaction.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I wonder if there is extra funds in the DT streetcar district due to rapidly growing sales tax receipts and property tax value growth? If this extra money can be used for free buses while also keeping the streetcar free and updated, that might make sense, though it seems that money should go back to the residents who are paying extra.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 pm I wonder if there is extra funds in the DT streetcar district due to rapidly growing sales tax receipts and property tax value growth? If this extra money can be used for free buses while also keeping the streetcar free and updated, that might make sense, though it seems that money should go back to the residents who are paying extra.
I assume it has been used to buy new vehicles. Or extension planning, but that may be prohibited.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:59 pm
Or extension planning, but that may be prohibited.
The original TDD formation elections described what the money could be used for and that's it.