Westside happenings

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Westside happenings

Post by Steve52 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 pm Man I love the westside but I would totally hate living there with those neighbors between their fighting the condo development to closed off selling of property to complaining about market rates to now trying to zone their way into stopping housing just like they live in from being built. What s shame.
The pitchforks are coming out. And Westside isn't the only neighborhood where the vibe is getting a little on the intense and hostile side between developers, builders, and residents.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Its funny how real estate works, people in the burbs hate it when density comes in with new apartments, lower income types start moving in because they say it will hurt property values. Lower income people hate it when gentrification comes in there neighborhood with increasing density, building new houses/condos because they say it will force them out/increase property values.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The takeaway is that nobody likes anyone and everything is scary.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That should be Trump's campaign slogan.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Could also be, if you don’t like someone they’ll be gone in a week or two anyways
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looking SW at 17th and Madison.

The townhouses.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update on 2127 Holly.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update on 1800 Mercier.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 am Los Alamos Market, 1667 Summit on the Upper Westside, renovated their building with an all-window storefront. The view faces the west and is epic. Still serving up the same great grub

I will miss the metal robots out on the sidewalk though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What's the deal with 2922 Summit? The city approved the plans in February 2017. The house is been sitting unfinished for awhile now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

But the apartments...
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:42 pm Image

Gross.

I still wish John McDonald would purchase these lots and give them to the city as a nice park overlooking downtown. Really anyone could purchase them, it doesn't have to be John.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC a few years ago Hufft was supposed to a house on/near that site.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

chaglang wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm IIRC a few years ago Hufft was supposed to a house on/near that site.
That would've been cool
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

chaglang wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm IIRC a few years ago Hufft was supposed to a house on/near that site.
TBH it's been a dream of mine since middle school to build a home on some these lots with Hufft as the architect...think of something like a Kansas City version of LA's Case Study House #22 (the Stahl House)...

...the other part of my dream was to continue 18th Street and end it with an overlook...think of a Kansas City version of LA's Jerome C. Daniel Overlook (on Mulholland Drive)...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

smh wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 pm Gross.

I still wish John McDonald would purchase these lots and give them to the city as a nice park overlooking downtown. Really anyone could purchase them, it doesn't have to be John.
The City might refuse to accept a park gift in that location. There isn't enough money to maintain existing parks. Over the past few years, the City has proposed selling park land.

In a City that has to tax people who live in other cities to fund operations, most council members would probably prefer instead to see the City get their share of the property taxes from the several parcels there after houses are built. Unless of course, they are building affordable housing there. :D
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:34 am
smh wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 pm Gross.

The City might refuse to accept a park gift in that location. There isn't enough money to maintain existing parks. Over the past few years, the City has proposed selling park land.

In a City that has to tax people who live in other cities to fund operations, most council members would probably prefer instead to see the City get their share of the property taxes from the several parcels there after houses are built. Unless of course, they are building affordable housing there. :D
Probably would just use the land to widen I-35 at some point.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

The park already exists and is in a better location (not directly adjacent to the Interstate). It's called Observation Park and is one of the best kept secrets in the city (was one of the best kept secrets).
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I try to take people to observation park when they visit to show them the views. It is a hidden gem.