im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by im2kull »

johnmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 am
chingon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 am
johnmatrix wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Impressive indeed. It's almost like Lucas acknowledged there was more to KC than just throwing money around downtown. Justus just sounded like a robot repeating the same failures of her mentor Sly James. Speaking of which he was on 710 yesterday and his interview went really bad. It's no wonder they got their clocks cleaned at the polls yesterday.
If you voted against Jolie Justus because you thought she was a Sly James clone or puppet, you voted based on a very false premise. I can understand voting for either of the 2 candidates, but not against either one.
She was an establishment stooge dude.
I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the fact that the "establishment" apparently donated a good bit of money to Lucas campaign. Or.. does that not matter..?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The establishment spent a lot of money getting Lucas elected even outside the campaign. All those texts from known national political operatives was very expensive.

I bet the for Lucas campaign was far more expensive.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

im2kull wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 am
chingon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:05 am

If you voted against Jolie Justus because you thought she was a Sly James clone or puppet, you voted based on a very false premise. I can understand voting for either of the 2 candidates, but not against either one.
She was an establishment stooge dude.
I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on the fact that the "establishment" apparently donated a good bit of money to Lucas campaign. Or.. does that not matter..?
Who?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

By "Establishment" I think he means the Kansas City Mob
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool Uncle mayor
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:32 pm 3rd AL: Ellington because he has experience working with others
I listened to you in this one and think I might have made a mistake. Someone knock this guy down a little bit.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The stories about him in Jeff City were not confidence-inspiring. What’s happening now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm The stories about him in Jeff City were not confidence-inspiring. What’s happening now?
Lots of Nays: https://data.kcmo.org/dataset/Council-R ... /cufx-a6zq
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chaglang wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm The stories about him in Jeff City were not confidence-inspiring. What’s happening now?
Not just voting nay. That’s his right. He grabbed a handful of resolutions and got them sent to the “special” housing committee (a committee he’s on) because he didn’t want the city manager to discuss proposals with potential developers without his input, badmouthed the airport deal and others, yelled at Lucas that he “won’t be filibustered!” then did the same himself and generally stirred the pot in the committee he is on today. Just ego galore. If he’s trying to kill goodwill with other councilpeople and jeopardize projects in his district, he’s off to a great start!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Well, that's about the level of representation I'm accustomed to as a 3rd District resident.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 pm
Not just voting nay. That’s his right. He grabbed a handful of resolutions and got them sent to the “special” housing committee (a committee he’s on) because he didn’t want the city manager to discuss proposals with potential developers without his input, badmouthed the airport deal and others, yelled at Lucas that he “won’t be filibustered!” then did the same himself and generally stirred the pot in the committee he is on today. Just ego galore. If he’s trying to kill goodwill with other councilpeople and jeopardize projects in his district, he’s off to a great start!
He'll get re-elected easily doing this. Don't look at what he's doing, look at who will support what he's doing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:25 pm He'll get re-elected easily doing this. Don't look at what he's doing, look at who will support what he's doing.
Raise grief enough and shoot down everything and when it’s time to pull some votes for your district, you’ll be standing with your hand out.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:25 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 pm
He'll get re-elected easily doing this. Don't look at what he's doing, look at who will support what he's doing.
Ok, who?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:15 pm What is his (Lucas's) game plan, he talked big talk about changing things, but other than slowing developments I haven’t seen him do anyrhing
From KC Star: Lucas has 3 goals - Development “Reform”, Water Department, Airport
  • City Manager Troy Schulte’s decision to leave his job is covered with the fingerprints of Mayor Quinton Lucas, who is clearly consolidating power at City Hall.
^^^ Also see a number of the rule changes he made starting day 1
  • In mid-September, Lucas asked for resignation letters from board members for a dozen city agencies, including Port KC. He wants his own people in those seats, he said Thursday.
  • Pat Klein was safe as long as Schulte remained on the job. That protection is gone.
^^^ Lucas was silently involved with many of the disruptions going on before the MOU and Development Agreements were signed.
  • The mayor will lead the effort to find a new city manager, who won’t be fully up to speed until next summer at the earliest. Who fills the power vacuum between now and then? Quinton Lucas, that’s who.
  • In less than two months in office, Lucas has moved to take control of the city’s government. Troy Schulte’s departure is the clearest possible reflection of that effort.

It is not too early to start thinking about 2023. Hall and Shields will be leaving :D but so will Fowler :(. I've heard a few of the pro-development people getting the boot are interested in running for council. Would Jolie or Dave be willing to run for Shields's old seat?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Lucas's anti-development focus is a little surprising, and disappointing. Hope we didn't set the city back another several years worth of investment with his election.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The anti-everything groups threw a lot of money at him during the election, so...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I can't figure out what he wants to accomplish yet. Every mayor wants a legacy. The only one in recent memory that hasn't is funk.

It's so early that I'm not saying anything, but I find his public face a bit odd so far.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:47 pm I can't figure out what he wants to accomplish yet. Every mayor wants a legacy. The only one in recent memory that hasn't is funk.

It's so early that I'm not saying anything, but I find his public face a bit odd so far.
I think he wants to fix crime and the schools then maybe come back to pro development? If this ends up being a bad term, we can just all blame Jason Kander cause he was pretty much guaranteed the victory :) .
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's worth noting that half of the council is on their second term, with their first term mostly voting in lock step on nearly every development proposal. That's what I found so frustrating about the campaign: There was a narrative that didn't match the candidates' voting record.

But let's not forget -- because it's happening! -- that there are some very real, but small, developments getting approved on the east side through the Central City Economic Development sales tax. That's very different than being anti-development, and I get a sense that Lucas is getting blamed for something that isn't actually happening. It we're using Strata as the barometer, that's a pretty extreme example that does have general fund risk as most recently proposed.