Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by FangKC »

missingkc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm Is a 2021 opening even possible at this point?
1034 Main would be the fastest new-build candidate of the size needed. No building demolition. No foundation excavation. Plans likely ready-to-go. Parking already planned in design. Next to streetcar line.

The only thing I don't know about is if there is a TIF District in place that isn't expired. I assume that could quickly dispatched though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm
missingkc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm Is a 2021 opening even possible at this point?
1034 Main would be the fastest new-build candidate of the size needed. No building demolition. No foundation excavation. Plans likely ready-to-go. Parking already planned in design. Next to streetcar line.

The only thing I don't know about is if there is a TIF District in place that isn't expired. I assume that could quickly dispatched though.
Yeah, it would take no time at all to throw up a building on that garage. I think 1201 Walnut was built in about a 18 months or less and it was the same deal. It could probably even be a design build as far as most of the updating of the plans.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Yeah, it would take no time at all to throw up a building on that garage. I think 1201 Walnut was built in about a 18 months or less and it was the same deal. It could probably even be a design build as far as most of the updating of the plans.
Financing is the really the biggest hurdle. Design and Construction can progress as fast as you want to as long as you have the funds. Waddell and Reed’s plan to invest almost $100 million in their new HQ (equity deal) is a very good sign.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Financing is the really the biggest hurdle. Design and Construction can progress as fast as you want to as long as you have the funds. Waddell and Reed’s plan to invest almost $100 million in their new HQ (equity deal) is a very good sign.
From a CityScene KC Article from July on Strata leasing:
Copaken acknowledged the project was speculative, but said Power Tower is in discussions with three potential tenants for up to 45 percent of the space; another potential user who could take half the space, or another potential user who could occupy the entire building.The developer said further delays could jeopardize those potential deals.
Tenants interested in taking the entire Strata project sound like a good sign for 1034.

If your Cooaken Brooks, you place the 3 smaller and 1 half tenants at Strata (leaving 5% available for co-working, startups, or future expansions) and use the large tenant (Waddell and Reed, who is also an investor) to anchor another tower down the streetcar line.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I doubt financing for Copaken would be a problem since they are a developer with a reliable history, and presumably have a tenant for 1034 Main who is also putting up money(if it's W&R).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Doesn't 1034 rely on the transit center moving? I can see how the timing would work out for that given the new east center is under construction, however.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am Doesn't 1034 rely on the transit center moving? I can see how the timing would work out for that given the new east center is under construction, however.
No. The tower would be built in the existing garage.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The transit center property is not for sale.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

under new ownership? or staying with KCATA for now?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the people across the street had their hooks in that spot.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Does anyone have a list of downtown's biggest employers? Like top 25 or maybe top 15?

I'm interested in knowing where Waddell and 1000+ employees would rank on the list. Are we talking top 5 employer in the greater downtown area?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:07 pm Does anyone have a list of downtown's biggest employers? Like top 25 or maybe top 15?

I'm interested in knowing where Waddell and 1000+ employees would rank on the list. Are we talking top 5 employer in the greater downtown area?
So many of them have multiple locations and it’s hard to find anyone that has that data split out.

Children’s Mercy is a good example of this.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the largest employer downtown is the federal government. That includes the IRS Center, which by itself has 4,600 workers.
It's hard to get a number with all the GSA-related consolidations of various agencies downtown. This employment base includes not just the IRS, but the Bolling Federal Building, the US Dept. of Transportation Building, the Whitaker U.S.Courthouse, the FBI, the National Archives, 2300 Main, etc.

Others would be:

Children's Mercy Hospital (8,123)
Kansas City government (4,521--not all fall into Greater DT)
Hallmark (3,222)
Commerce Trust, Bancshares, Tower Properties ( 2,447)
UMB (2,157)
Truman Medical Center (1,879)
US Bank (1,850) not all are downtown
Federal Reserve Bank (not a federal agency) (1,605)
Jackson County government (1,530)
State Street (1,222)
H&R Block (1,200)
Blue Cross Blue Shield (987)
J.E. Dunn Construction ( 930)
Great Plains (Evergy/Kansas City Power & Light) ( 837)
Shook, Hardy & Bacon (804)
Assurant Employee Benefits (800)
Americo Financial Life & Annuity Insurance Co. (777)
Kansas City Southern ( 700)
DST-Argus (700)
Sun Life Financial (613)
Bank of America ( 600)
Dickinson Financial Corporation (594)
DST-Output (Broadridge Financial Solutions) (560)
HNTB Corporation (530)
Spring Venture Group (525)
Midwest Bank (500)
National Association of Insurance Commissioners (500)
Littler Mendelson PC (430)
DST Systems, Inc. (Hdq.) (420)
McCownGordon Construction (383)
Barkley (330)
KPMG LLP (307)
Stinson Leonard Street LLP (304)
Deloitte (302)
Mark One Electric (300)
Kansas City Star (300)
Husch Blackwell LLP (296)
Lathrop Gage (295)
Andrews McMeel Universal (200)
UMKC -- Hospital Hill
State of Missouri
Kansas City School District administration
Marriott brand hotels
Starwood Hotels (Sheraton,Westin)
AT&T
MoBank
Intercontinental Hotel Group (Crowne Plaza, Indigo, Holiday Inn)
Hilton hotels (President, Phillips-Curio, Hampton, HOME2 Suites) President Hotel employs 120.
Spencer Fane
BNIM Architects (95)
Faultless Brands
Boulevard Brewery
Butler Buildings

Not technically Downtown, but on the edge.

KCATA
VFW Headquarters
Edelman & Thompson
Penn Valley Community College
Kansas City Life (426)
Spire (400)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (361)
Faultless Laundry Co (300)

Loews Convention Hotel will employ about 350 workers.

*EDC-KC numbers
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

nice list. minor note, husch blackwell is on the plaza
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Google shows they have an office at 1200 Main as well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:45 pm Google shows they have an office at 1200 Main as well.
Is that listed as Google or their parent Alphabet? Replica is a people moving mapping tool from Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs (smart city division) that is based out of KC. Replica was spun off as its own company just last week, still based in KC. Eric Schmidt, Google co-founder, is a major investor in the spinoff. If it's Google and not Replica at 1200 Main, I wonder what function?

BTW, a Google affiliate signed a deed for the Google data center out in Hunt Biz Park. It might happen.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

pretty sure 1200 main was husch & eppenberger's office from before the blackwell sanders merger.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

earthling wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:45 pm Google shows they have an office at 1200 Main as well.
Is that listed as Google or their parent Alphabet? Replica is a people moving mapping tool from Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs (smart city division) that is based out of KC. Replica was spun off as its own company just last week, still based in KC. Eric Schmidt, Google co-founder, is a major investor in the spinoff. If it's Google and not Replica at 1200 Main, I wonder what function?

BTW, a Google affiliate signed a deed for the Google data center out in Hunt Biz Park. It might happen.
I think this is response to the comment about Husch Blackwell, not Google itself.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hah, I follow you. I misinterpreted the context because Google/Replica does have an office in KC and was wondering if that is where it might be.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Schmidt wasn't a Google cofounder, he was brought in to be ceo early on :)

Google does have an office downtown because one of my friends works there. I have never bothered to ask where though, but I'm guessing that's it.

Replica I think is quite small. They're probably sharing space or having people work remotely since they're hiding their KC address. Or maybe still figuring things out.