OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:12 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:47 pm Is the bridge to the terminals gone now? It looks like it’s just a hallway on the jet path and that jets will have to go around the gate building if going the opposite direction. Would have been cool to be in the bridge and have planes go underneath you.
I don't remember that being in edgmoor design ever, that was someone else's
AECOM’s had a bridge
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:47 pm Is the bridge to the terminals gone now? It looks like it’s just a hallway on the jet path and that jets will have to go around the gate building if going the opposite direction. Would have been cool to be in the bridge and have planes go underneath you.
Bridge was AECOM's design

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The bridge would only have been a big inconvenience having to go up and down escalators or elevators at each end.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 pm The bridge would only have been a big inconvenience having to go up and down escalators or elevators at each end.
With a price premium of a few HUNDRED million.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was pretty sexy though
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I like the renderings. Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite airports in the world, particularly the ceiling and openness.

Gardermoen in Oslo Norway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Airp ... n_area.jpg
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:15 pm i've been to maybe 40 airports and, to be honest, other than LAX and DIA, i am not sure i can picture in my mind the exterior of any one of them. i can picture aspects of the interior of a few airports in my mind, but not b/c of striking design--mostly b/c of some bad memory of being delayed and being immersed in a (bland) environment.

i'm biased but i think all the exterior and interior wood sets KCI apart here.
yeah...i mean usually one is pretty preoccupied when arriving at an airport. all i'm seeing is the airline blade signage and maybe the outdoor luggage check in. i was at seatac a few days ago and they had two lanes of parallel unloading at departures which meant that someone was nearly getting their door ripped off every few seconds. i can't remember what the current setup is at kci but don't do that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

warwickland wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31 am
yeah...i mean usually one is pretty preoccupied when arriving at an airport. all i'm seeing is the airline blade signage and maybe the outdoor luggage check in. i was at seatac a few days ago and they had two lanes of parallel unloading at departures which meant that someone was nearly getting their door ripped off every few seconds. i can't remember what the current setup is at kci but don't do that.
The worst I ever saw was at 11pm at night. We flew Southwest back into town. I went to get the car while everyone else got luggage.

Outside the closest doors everyone exits with their luggage there were people loading cars from four of the six lanes. At one spot I had to angle across two lanes of traffic to let a father with a toddler aged kid get out of the road. He was stuck between lanes with people not letting him cross. Crosswalks don't really work in those situations and the doors don't line up with them anyways.

Anything will be better than that.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 pm Image

Deep foundations going in.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm

So past the demolition phase and into the early parts of construction? Great news. Looking forward to watching this go up. Get my first opportunity to see it at Christmas when flying in to KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm
langosta wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm

So past the demolition phase and into the early parts of construction? Great news. Looking forward to watching this go up. Get my first opportunity to see it at Christmas when flying in to KC.
Some excavation and Terminal A foundation demo work is ongoing but they are ramping up foundation work. From the photos Ive seen it looks like they have multiple pile crews up already.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pmThe worst I ever saw was at 11pm at night. We flew Southwest back into town. I went to get the car while everyone else got luggage.

Outside the closest doors everyone exits with their luggage there were people loading cars from four of the six lanes. At one spot I had to angle across two lanes of traffic to let a father with a toddler aged kid get out of the road. He was stuck between lanes with people not letting him cross. Crosswalks don't really work in those situations and the doors don't line up with them anyways.

I can’t believe they aren’t using the baggage claim at the very first door of the terminal. I picked my wife and kids up on a midnight arrival from Orlando a few weeks ago, at the same time the roadway was being repaved. There was literally ONE space to pull over by the doors, and 50 cars blocking traffic. Southwest has just been a cluster already this summer with multi-hour delays on outbound flights, and this definitely did not help. I can’t wait until there’s a bi-level roadway and common use baggage claims.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sani wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:19 am
flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pmThe worst I ever saw was at 11pm at night. We flew Southwest back into town. I went to get the car while everyone else got luggage.

I can’t believe they aren’t using the baggage claim at the very first door of the terminal. I picked my wife and kids up on a midnight arrival from Orlando a few weeks ago, at the same time the roadway was being repaved. There was literally ONE space to pull over by the doors, and 50 cars blocking traffic. Southwest has just been a cluster already this summer with multi-hour delays on outbound flights, and this definitely did not help. I can’t wait until there’s a bi-level roadway and common use baggage claims.
Southwest Operations shifted down the terminal away from the construction. I would not doubt that the baggage claims (unused now) at the end of the terminal are only connected to the first set of B gates that are now closed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The baggage claim systems are all disconnected underneath, so they would likely need to sort based on destination while outside the terminal to do this.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 am

The baggage claim systems are all disconnected underneath, so they would likely need to sort based on destination while outside the terminal to do this.
Another reason why we need a new terminal.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Clark Weitz Clarkson filed a project plan with the city last week. (no attachments yet)

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d0f75f2b69
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:06 pm Clark Weitz Clarkson filed a project plan with the city last week. (no attachments yet)

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d0f75f2b69
What is the deal with attachments? Some plans have a ton, some never get any.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NT got me hunting tonight. Attachments tab of this plan should provide some fun digging:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 3ec49227fe
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The DDFS was also revisited and the contact gate table yielded a demand for 37 contact gates in 2030, two more than the Exhibit K process. This DDFS is known as the 37 gate schedule. The 37 gate DDFS and gate table were made available to the design team when the project restarted in mid-February 2018.

Concurrent studies of the airside demonstrated a 39-gate Terminal on day-one, could be constructed without unduly impacting existing on-going Terminal B operations. Two alternatives for reaching the full 42-gate requirement were proposed, but would have impacts on Terminal B operations and require a small Phase 2 of construction. The trigger to implement the expansion to 42, or more gates, will depend on the future growth in demand, during the peak design hour (first morning banks), or a change in the approach to gate assignments (i.e., more sharing). However, regardless if any of these scenarios materialize in the future, the airlines will occupy the new Terminal in a single move.
Transportation modes other than cars have also been considered. Mass transit (Bus Rapid Transit, APM and light rail) have all been a part of the design and future planning of the Parking Garage. With these multi-transportation services provided, the new Parking Garage will effectively function as a Transportation Center at the new airport Terminal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah lot of good stuff in there. Lot of positives honestly.