Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 pm
warwickland wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 am *new player enters room*

sporting kansas city has a new old rival.
Shit club. No history.
this is going to be good!

gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

chaglang wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm When is MLS going to put a team in Denver?
The Rapids are a charter member of MLS, unless I'm just totally missing sarcasm.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

gfisch95 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:03 pm
chaglang wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm When is MLS going to put a team in Denver?
The Rapids are a charter member of MLS, unless I'm just totally missing sarcasm.
You are.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It's official - starting in 2022.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

swid wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 pm

It's official - starting in 2022.
I've been following StL's efforts to get an MLS expansion team since the MLS2StL days culminating with the MLS4TheLou effort.

Does the MLS put StL in the West with SKC and/or create two divisions in the East and West and put Minny, SKC, StL and Chicago (among a couple others) into the same division? I know that is a very "American" sports thing to do and soccer is decidedly Euro-driven/influenced thing.

What are your thoughts?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

MLS scheduling is going to become...interesting as the league marches towards 28 teams. The easiest way out in a 28-team league would be four 7-team divisions: 2 games against the other six teams in the division + 1 game against the remaining 21 teams = 33 games. This scenario also makes adopting an East, Midwest, South, and West divisional layout and abandoning the conferences entirely easy to imagine.

Or 28 teams is the impetus for instating two 14-team leagues with promotion/relegation between them (as has been rumored). Who knows? :-)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

swid wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:12 pm
Or 28 teams is the impetus for instating two 14-team leagues with promotion/relegation between them (as has been rumored). Who knows? :-)
Ooooooooo.....interesting.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

St Louis will try to claim Chicago or NY as their rival. They’ll both roll their eyes at the new kid. Best to just not care about this new state team, from a SKC POV.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I think it's something SKC should embrace. If for no other reason, it will resurrect some of the Missouri /Kansas borderline rivalry which the Cards / Royals doesn't satisfy.

I'm sure StL will embrace a 3-city rivarly. Chicago and KC will be natural, and more and more, Trashville is becoming a heated rival because the Blues and Preds play in the same NHL division and consistently vie for the top of their division.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

StL_Dan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 pm I think it's something SKC should embrace. If for no other reason, it will resurrect some of the Missouri /Kansas borderline rivalry which the Cards / Royals doesn't satisfy.

I'm sure StL will embrace a 3-city rivarly. Chicago and KC will be natural, and more and more, Trashville is becoming a heated rival because the Blues and Preds play in the same NHL division and consistently vie for the top of their division.
there's kind of a weird what are you looking at thing with nashville brewing. i think for the purposes of MLS, however, KC should/will be the big rival for STL. SKC would be foolish not to embrace this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

If, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” holds true, does this make us in an alliance with Chicago? &
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:37 pm If, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” holds true, does this make us in an alliance with Chicago? &
I have no problem disliking both the Cubs and Cardinals, so I like to think I can adapt and still dislike the Fire quite a bit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

WSPanic wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm I have no problem disliking both the Cubs and Cardinals, so I like to think I can adapt and still dislike the Fire quite a bit.
I just want Indianapolis to get a team so I can let my full hatred rage.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:37 pm If, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” holds true, does this make us in an alliance with Chicago? &
I have no problem disliking both the Cubs and Cardinals, so I like to think I can adapt and still dislike the Fire quite a bit.
Hear fucking hear.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:45 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 pm I have no problem disliking both the Cubs and Cardinals, so I like to think I can adapt and still dislike the Fire quite a bit.
I just want Indianapolis to get a team so I can let my full hatred rage.
why is that, because they are sort of the closest analog to kc i guess? indianapolis is closer (and easier to drive to) to st. louis than even kc is and it's almost invisible to me for whatever reason. i've spent exactly one night in indianapolis ever.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Man, this thread got weird.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

StL_Dan wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:06 pm Man, this thread got weird.
Quit your drivel. Next you’ll be talking about the St. Louis Steamers and “soccer USA” and how it’s the center of the soccer universe but are just now back peddling into an MLS team when the league has been around for decades. Enjoy your Expansion team.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:18 pm
Quit your drivel. Next you’ll be talking about the St. Louis Steamers and “soccer USA” and how it’s the center of the soccer universe but are just now back peddling into an MLS team when the league has been around for decades. Enjoy your Expansion team.
Roar
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the blues are an Expansion team i'll take it. :D

(just realized that the blues are older than the royals which is weird to think about)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

warwickland wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am
the blues are an Expansion team i'll take it. :D

(just realized that the blues are older than the royals which is weird to think about)
Yep! The Blues (1967) are, indeed, older than the expansion Royals (1969). The Chiefs, however, are not an original. They relocated from Texas.

StL will will have 3 original franchises to KC's 1 after the MLS StL franchise begins play.

:P