Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by earthling »

Here is the map to FF...
https://kccrossroads.org/wp-content/upl ... p-2019.pdf

I've created the QR code to the link above that they could post around the district, though the PDF is not mobile friendly.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd think something curated for the specific month would get better results
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yup
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 pm I'd think something curated for the specific month would get better results
That's what this page is for: https://kccrossroads.org/this-first-friday/

It's been there for years under the "First Friday" button on the home page.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 pm I'd think something curated for the specific month would get better results

I remember checking that link on an earlier this year FF and it wasn't up to date. I assumed it was defunct.

That's great info, now how do we get it into people's hands that show up tomorrow?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Here's the QR code to that link.

Can create a flyer to put post on windows/doors around district... "Scan with smartphone for First Fridays Guide and Map".

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On a tangent of crowd control. I did Vessel walkable art along High Line NYC and while it's free it still requires a ticket reservation by the hour even if within same hour. They use a kiosk that has a QR code to scan and you can reserve which hour you want on the phone then it generates a bar code for them to scan at entry. I was able to get one for immediate entry as it was lighter day with rain earlier.

About 8 floors...

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Awesome. I was down there in June and we walked the highline and went by this. My 73 yr old Mom is a wimp and wouldn't walk up the eight flight of stairs, so we passed on that. It's really cool though.

The Bloomberg building right there peaking into your first shot is interesting as well. Hudson Yards is crazy.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's an elevator that takes you to the top so can just walk down. It wasn't working when I was there.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

https://thebaffler.com/latest/fuck-the-vessel-wagner
The Vessel has invited nearly universal vitriol, even amongst the politest architecture critics. It is an object lesson teaching us that, in our neoliberal age of surveillance capitalism—an era where the human spirit is subjected to a regime of means testing and digital disruption, and a cynical view of the city as an engine of real estate prevails—architecture, quite frankly, sucks.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Lol, reading entire article would guess the author has some serious mommy issues. It's not building architecture, certainly not intended to be functional. It's a walkable art piece. All of Manhattan has become an experiment of things that work and don't work in someone's mind. At least it's not repetitious around city, it's something unique in a touristy location that fits. The arch snobs just need to roll with it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Random thoughts...

The FF crowds were lower than I expected but still lively. Overall it was in some ways a better time as most places were more accessible though would liked to have seen more street music. JoCo/suburban turnout more than expected based on the car plates in area and boomers with golf shirts tucked in.

The food trucks were on E 18th with cops patrolling. SW Blvd to 19th, Main St and much of 18th had the most concentration but the W end of 18th was pretty dead. Gallery crowds lighter than usual. Most restaurants/bars busy but many had open seats throughout night. Some thought about 1/3 of what was a normal FF for a nice night but also said too many people in recent past. Streetcars busy (4 running) but nice not to be packed in like sardines. Downtown was hopping still with events also around P&L and Union Station busier than I would expect. Could see large crowds up on the Liberty Memorial platform as well. A visitor who has never been to a FF would still think downtown is very lively.

Would bring back street craft vendors and street performers, especially seek those like Quixotic and projector artists. Will be interesting to see Xroads Assoc next move. I do now agree with those who think they overreacted, but they did apparently want to reduce crowds and got what they wanted.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

An artist's perspective (with which I agree):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Sounds like FF is back!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^For the most part. Methinks FF was at its best around 10-12 years ago and last night was in some ways more subdued however the streetcar presence gives it a different vibe than 10 years ago and E Xroads has more edgier presence than 10+ years ago. A good balance overall, especially given visitors to one downtown event can now easily visit others.

The W end of 18th was a little concerning. The Assoc might check into the gallery sales in that area as we walked by around 6PM and 9:30PM and gallery greeters were kinda desperate to get people in. Ideally FF would let things happen serendipitously but might help to sponsor something like a Quixotic street performance in areas that are having less foot traffic.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

In my mind, West 18th kinda died with the sale of the Monogram building and the exit of YJs, Peggy Noland, etc. I know Birdies is still there and there are a lot of nice shops in that alley, but that little building and all it's funky shops really gave life to the street.

Also there is a slight lack of art showings in that area. The new Mildred's doesn't even show art like it used to.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Mildred's gave up on FF because people weren't coming in anymore. I'd guess because the food truck corral took all of the focus away from the food places in the nooks and crannies of the hood. Howard's quit staying open in July because of the same issue. Novel said they normal clientele stays away because the crowd makes it difficult to get there.

As for West 18th, the Bauer is chock full of artists and other creative endeavors. AKAIK, YJ's, Birdies, and Peggy Noland never had exhibits. Oracle was always a big draw, but they didn't make enough money to justify that large space (or the increased rent), so they moved to a tiny space in the Bauer's alley shops.

It's important to remember that the galleries were keeping the FF dream alive because of camaraderie, not because it made them money. In fact, most had changed their openings to Thursdays because the FF crowds had become intolerable.

The only people making money on FF were the food trucks and street vendors, and the street vendors were often telling us they weren't making money after they paid the fees required to cover the security, traffic control and clean-up required to handle the increased crowds.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thanks for the insight, Dave.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 pm Thanks for the insight, Dave.
You're welcome. I wish the Star's editorial board sought to understand rather than attack us on the Sunday editorial page.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 pm Mildred's gave up on FF because people weren't coming in anymore. I'd guess because the food truck corral took all of the focus away from the food places in the nooks and crannies of the hood. Howard's quit staying open in July because of the same issue. Novel said they normal clientele stays away because the crowd makes it difficult to get there.

As for West 18th, the Bauer is chock full of artists and other creative endeavors. AKAIK, YJ's, Birdies, and Peggy Noland never had exhibits. Oracle was always a big draw, but they didn't make enough money to justify that large space (or the increased rent), so they moved to a tiny space in the Bauer's alley shops.
I miss that small gallery in the back of Oracle. That tattoo parlor on the second floor had some cool shows too. I'd argue that Peggy Noland's store itself was the exhibit. YJs was the soul of the west crossroads. I also miss the gallery that was where Foxtrot Supply is.

The funky shops of West 18th just gave that area the look of an arts district. Hope the new owners get some good tenants some day.