Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by flyingember »

It's likely about the sun. Since most games are in the summer and most are in the afternoon or evening, the sun drops below the top of the stadium in most cases and doesn't shine in the eyes of the players as much.

So sites that support putting the 3rd base line alone the N-S axis makes the most sense
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Someone should tell the dodgers their stadium will never work with such large elevation changes.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:06 pm Someone should tell the dodgers their stadium will never work with such large elevation changes.
Everything works with money :lol:
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So it appears that there are absolutely no prospects in the pipeline for the East Village. Now we have to wait an additional couple of years for the ballpark option to play out before any other development to occur?

And to chime in on the Penn Valley Park location, there are zero opportunities for spinoff development. Great outfield views, though.

Anyone ever think about moving the current businesses and put a park on the hill where Cambridge Circle is off of I-35? That location straddles the state line, so maybe a possibility for bi-state tax, and room for a small ballpark village development.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The east village won't do a single thing until downtown stadium is resolved.

I just don't trust them to develop around it. I see premium surface parking lots all around.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cambridge circle? What in the world?

Let's not screw this up. The blueprint exists in every other city. We have plenty of spaces available that can help us maximize our streetcar, parking garage, and retail/hotel investment. This is a layup decision.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:06 pm Someone should tell the dodgers their stadium will never work with such large elevation changes.
Or Kauffman, perfectly level lot before they built it. &
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's really an opportunity to rethink baseball stadiums. Smaller, high level premium, outfield bars, club level bars, family zome, apartments with rooftops around, smaller general crowds but cheap.

Daily usage even when the team isn't home.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:59 pm It's really an opportunity to rethink baseball stadiums. Smaller, high level premium, outfield bars, club level bars, family zome, apartments with rooftops around, smaller general crowds but cheap.

I don’t see a DT stadium being funded directly with tax dollars. If a stadium goes DT, I think you will see the stadium being part of a larger direct development. I mean this in that the Royals would actually build and own buildings around the stadium. This is where they will make the money. Purchase of a condo could include special perks at the ballpark. I’d love for the city to pull development rights from the current East village developer and give it to a Royals controlled entity.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:59 pm It's really an opportunity to rethink baseball stadiums. Smaller, high level premium, outfield bars, club level bars, family zome, apartments with rooftops around, smaller general crowds but cheap.

I don’t see a DT stadium being funded directly with tax dollars. If a stadium goes DT, I think you will see the stadium being part of a larger direct development. I mean this in that the Royals would actually build and own buildings around the stadium. This is where they will make the money. Purchase of a condo could include special perks at the ballpark. I’d love for the city to pull development rights from the current East village developer and give it to a Royals controlled entity.
I see a stadium being funded primarily with tax dollars.

There won't be any condos either.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yes, because a small hill in the middle of a bunch of flat parking is exactly the same.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 pm Anyone ever think about moving the current businesses and put a park on the hill where Cambridge Circle is off of I-35? That location straddles the state line, so maybe a possibility for bi-state tax, and room for a small ballpark village development.
It would never happen. There's only one way in and out without a super expensive road project adding new connections. All it takes is one hazmat incident with chlorine gas or such and tens of thousands of people would need to flee on foot into live railroad tracks.

The only realistic way to move downtown is to be within 2-3 blocks of existing parking or a place where someone could build more. The team will demand it, their big ticket holders will demand it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:47 pm I see a stadium being funded primarily with tax dollars.

There won't be any condos either.
I don’t really think it would pass this time, for a lot of reasons.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I would support partial public dollars to support this, but I wouldn't vote for anything that requires tax payers to cover more than about 1/3 (approx $300-$400M) of the new stadium.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:49 pm I would support partial public dollars to support this, but I wouldn't vote for anything that requires tax payers to cover more than about 1/3 (approx $300-$400M) of the new stadium.
That seems reasonable. Would you vote for more if they do a tourism tax like Sprint center? "We don't pay" approach?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I doubt it. At a certain point, all of that money comes out of the economy and benefits the owner. Just because it's not me paying all of it doesn't make it more palatable for me. This guy is going to be making money hand over fist with a new stadium. I'd like to see him invest in it.

I'd like to think he's smart enough to figure out how to make money on a venture like this - versus letting the city/county control it (and probably screw it up.)
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm I’d love for the city to pull development rights from the current East village developer and give it to a Royals controlled entity.
City has full control of one block, parcels in a few others – not sure that's gonna be an effective strategy.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

bspecht wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm I’d love for the city to pull development rights from the current East village developer and give it to a Royals controlled entity.
City has full control of one block, parcels in a few others – not sure that's gonna be an effective strategy.
I don’t understand. We have a developer for East Villafe but no rights to develop it?
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:45 pm
bspecht wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:40 pm
I don’t understand. We have a developer for East Villafe but no rights to develop it?
In today's article: "In 2017, VanTrust Real Estate was granted the development rights. Since then, the firm founded by the late wealthy businessman Cecil VanTuyl has been acquiring the remaining properties in the East Village area and now controls about 85 percent of the land."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm I doubt it. At a certain point, all of that money comes out of the economy and benefits the owner. Just because it's not me paying all of it doesn't make it more palatable for me. This guy is going to be making money hand over fist with a new stadium. I'd like to see him invest in it.

I'd like to think he's smart enough to figure out how to make money on a venture like this - versus letting the city/county control it (and probably screw it up.)
Agreed. I'd think part of the money could come from jaxco selling off some of the TCS land for redevelopment.