Companies moving downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Companies moving downtown

Post by DColeKC »

This is exciting if true. Would they look at the empty lot next to Sprint Center that Coopaken owns?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:28 pm
jasty5 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm

1. Waddell & Reed would need more space than what Strata or Platform Ventures can offer. Twisty Tower (500K SF) is the closest w/o being too small of the proposed office buildings.The Washington Square Park Office Project would be my second guess.

2. Are you saying that this will be a not yet announced office tower project?
I think this is some new project, and don’t think it’s associated with any of the existing spec developments. Agreed that strata would not be big enough. I heard a cost range of $200M for the cost, which is double the cost of Strata.
It’s great to hear B&M getting more involved with downtown construction. I can’t wait to see the designs once available. Hopefully, we will see a proper urban friendly tower.
B&M? Do you perhaps mean W&R? Or are we to think B&M is involved somehow?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Waddell & Reed to erect 20 story headquarters at 9th & Main! Oops, wasn't that a 1967 headline? Can't believe people can still get excited for the town's oldest prostitute.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's a good description. :lol:
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

So much potential in the North Loop with nearby hotels, City Market and the Street Car line.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

geeman68 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am So much potential in the North Loop with nearby hotels, City Market and the Street Car line.
Much potential at the Riverfront or Washington Square Park as well.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

geeman68 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am So much potential in the North Loop with nearby hotels, City Market and the Street Car line.
Anything to get the north loop filled in (besides a stadium of course)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm
jasty5 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:37 pm I don’t think it’s strata, I think it’s something new.
1. Waddell & Reed would need more space than what Strata or Platform Ventures can offer. Twisty Tower (500K SF) is the closest w/o being too small of the proposed office buildings.The Washington Square Park Office Project would be my second guess.

2. Are you saying that this will be a not yet announced office tower project?
I think this is some new project, and don’t think it’s associated with any of the existing spec developments. Agreed that strata would not be big enough. I heard a cost range of $200M for the cost, which is double the cost of Strata.
Do you know when we’ll get more info?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 77642.html

This article confirms WR is getting about $60 million in incentives from MO to hop the border. It doesn't give any indication as to where or when it will happen, but it does say the company will invest $90 million in its new HQ and move all of its over 1,000 employees. If its true they are moving inside the DT loop, that is a HUGE boost for DT employment.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:13 am https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 77642.html

This article confirms WR is getting about $60 million in incentives from MO to hop the border. It doesn't give any indication as to where or when it will happen, but it does say the company will invest $90 million in its new HQ and move all of its over 1,000 employees. If its true they are moving inside the DT loop, that is a HUGE boost for DT employment.
1. The rumored total project price is $200 million meaning W&R could be taking half(or less) of a larger project.
2. The 1034 Main project (open 2021) is proposed as 600K SF, W&R are only expected to need around 300K SF in their new HQ.
3. A move downtown will provide a big boost to residential and condo development (3 and 4 Light)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Children’s Mercy will be moving all of their employees currently in Crown Center to their new building under construction. I haven’t heard anything about 1034 Main yet but this would be a good fit.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The KC Star article from today seems to confirm that W&R will be going into new construction.

From the business journal:
"It (W&R) is looking for Class A space — the top tier in amenities and rent. It also wants enough space to accommodate its present 1,000 area employees and a space that would “position the company for growth.”
Only a large, new tower such as 1034 Main offers what W&R is looking for in downtown.

13th and Grand (250K SF, "proposed") and Strata(260K SF+, opening 2021) are too small to hold W&R at its current size, let alone any future growth.
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:02 am Children’s Mercy will be moving all of their employees currently in Crown Center to their new building under construction. I haven’t heard anything about 1034 Main yet but this would be a good fit.
I do not know which CC buildings CM is in, but its my understanding that many of them are far from "top tier' in rents, layouts, or amenities. I also don't think there is enough contiguous space available for an immediate move nor future expansion
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Do we have reason to believe 1034 Main is anything other than a glimmer in Jon Copaken's eye? It has been referred to several times here but I haven't heard anything as to a status change from 20-year-old conceptual drawing to actual project. But, naturally, I want to believe. :D
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

smh wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 pm Do we have reason to believe 1034 Main is anything other than a glimmer in Jon Copaken's eye? It has been referred to several times here but I haven't heard anything as to a status change from 20-year-old conceptual drawing to actual project. But, naturally, I want to believe. :D
Project page on Loopnet was updated(as recently as 9/16) and shows a 2021 open.
Last edited by langosta on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Someone send to Collison... he'll check into it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He reads here.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 pm Someone send to Collison... he'll check into it.
Collison floated this as an upcoming project back in 2016 or 2017.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 pm I do not know which CC buildings CM is in, but its my understanding that many of them are far from "top tier' in rents, layouts, or amenities. I also don't think there is enough contiguous space available for an immediate move nor future expansion
It’s my understanding that CMH has filled most of the space that used to be Hallmark on the north side of CC, from the Panera building all the way around to the ice rink. All or most of these will move and fill the new tower building. The finishes are definitely not top end but it would be an easy upgrade and includes parking. It would be a nice location for a large company relocation.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Is a 2021 opening even possible at this point?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 pm Is a 2021 opening even possible at this point?
A few thoughts/ramblings:

I would be surprised if W&R’s public announcement of a HQ move was the actual start of discussions with developers in KCMO. It’s likely that they had a general idea of who/where at that point.

It is my understanding that 1034 Main was at one point pretty close to launching (many years ago). However, Market demands and construction technology has advanced soo much since then that I expect a redisgn to be required. That isn’t to say that Copaken hasn’t kept their plans updated through the years.

Strata’s proposed a construction start in Q4 2019 and an open in Q4 2021.