Attention regional businesses

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Attention regional businesses

Post by earthling »

Consider moving your business near where younger generations want to live. Am talkin to you too Cerner!
According to the survey, which asked both renters and homeowners where they wanted to live next, the five most popular neighborhoods for renters, in order, were the River Market, Midtown, Brookside/Waldo, the Crossroads and the Country Club Plaza.

Brookside/Waldo also ranked as the most popular place to buy a home, followed by Midtown, Prairie Village, the Plaza and River Market.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -city.html

Downtown to Plaza is behind many other cities with attracting jobs to the core. Is good to see local Millennials prefer to be closer into city, which should slow down sprawl. But when will local businesses get it?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Attention regional businesses

Post by flyingember »

We moved in closer on purpose and I add $10-15k to my required salary for jobs that are far away from home.

That's what moving to the edge of the city gets businesses, higher wages.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Cerner gives zero shits about your survey. Nor do most of the people that work here, as far as I can tell.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i walk to work and it would take a ludicrous raise to get me to leave for a job that would make me go back to driving. the jump from no car ever to very short drive always is way bigger than the jump from very short drive always to journey to the burbs, imo.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:51 am Am talkin to you too Cerner!
Senior Management had no interest the last time I talked with them about it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And they may struggle getting college grads if they continue to target last century exurban office parks for boomers.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:55 pm And they may struggle getting college grads if they continue to target last century exurban office parks for boomers.
They might, but I doubt . I couldn't get past the paywall of the article, but it's not like any of the current batch of young Cerner employees lives in the core. Who were they asking?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Cerner targets foreigners to underpay and others to burn out while they are still on their cheap, first job out of college salary. They aren't looking to retain employees long term which would make being in a more desirable neighborhood more important.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No cerner employees live in the core?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm No cerner employees live in the core?
Obviously, I'm exaggerating, because I live in the urban core. I know one other person in my building that lives in the core. I've only been here a little over a year, but people that live in the core are like a novelty around here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting. I was under the impression a lot of the new downtown apartments were being filled by the young Cerner'ites.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maybe the folks on the new campus are filling those places. Everyone here at The Legends thinks the urban core is a blighted war zone with no value. Even the young ones.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:28 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm No cerner employees live in the core?
Obviously, I'm exaggerating, because I live in the urban core. I know one other person in my building that lives in the core. I've only been here a little over a year, but people that live in the core are like a novelty around here.
Cerner employees definitely live in the core! They make excellent renters too, probably cause they spend over half their lives traveling.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't know 30 people's impressions of the urban core at my work. I need to talk to more people about this, WSP over here with his finger on the pulse of the Legend campus!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Interesting. I was under the impression a lot of the new downtown apartments were being filled by the young Cerner'ites.
Yeah, anecdotally I feel the same way. Living downtown, have met many Cerner folks that live in the central region, including, most recently two randoms at Strange Days last Friday that lived in Hyde Park and Mission. Worked at the South (old Marion) campus.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If anyone is curious about a per-ZIP Code-breakdown, slide into a DM.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

An elderly friend just sold a Midtown condo, which I helped him with, involved with the realtor from Reece Nichols. He got an offer within days on market, which fell through due to unreasonable picky buyer but then 3 more lined up that were competing bids. Realtor said the demand is the highest RN has seen for city core with both Millennials and empty nesters downsizing from the burbs. She said increase of city housing prices are outpacing the McMansion burbs. Not surprising for larger markets but good to see for KC.

Office related businesses in markets around our size are boosting their downtowns even with below avg metro transit, yet KC still doesn't have that momentum. What will it take?

Downtown KC only has about 50K sqft office space delivered or under construction recently (and it's Class B). Columbus has over 500K. Pittsburgh about 700K. Nashville has nearly 3M u/c, though they have 1/3 less total than KC. Meanwhile KC suburbs lead the Midwest with 1.4M sqft Class A under construction, the only Midwest market over 1M and more than many markets across US much larger than KC.

https://www2.colliers.com/-/media/Files ... eport.ashx
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ This would not be a big deal if it were just a year or two, but most cities have been adding downtown office buildings constantly for years. Like Pittsburgh, these stats are after the city has already built some new large towers. Even lowly Baltimore has been putting up office space a couple of towers at a time and as soon as one is done another is following. Milwaukee, Cincy, etc have built major corporate office towers. And I think downtown KC has lost more office space to residential conversion than just about any other city in the country. So not only is the city not building much new, it's lost way more than most other cities to begin with. Just proof that the regional business community has pretty much abandoned downtown.

In DC, suburban office parks not near transit are being mothballed and re-purposed.

If you drive 435 from Bannister to 95th in Lenexa, you will see as much office space as you see in MUCH bigger cities. No other city under 4 million has that type of suburban edge city office development for such a massive suburban corridor.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When I said KC leads with suburban development in Midwest that even includes Chicago. Chicago has had ZERO office space under construction in the burbs for the last year according to Colliers, it's all in the city.

https://www2.colliers.com/-/media/Files ... liers.ashx

KC residents are demanding city living but local office business is still stuck in last century office park mode.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:04 pm ^ This would not be a big deal if it were just a year or two, but most cities have been adding downtown office buildings constantly for years. Like Pittsburgh, these stats are after the city has already built some new large towers. Even lowly Baltimore has been putting up office space a couple of towers at a time and as soon as one is done another is following. Milwaukee, Cincy, etc have built major corporate office towers. And I think downtown KC has lost more office space to residential conversion than just about any other city in the country. So not only is the city not building much new, it's lost way more than most other cities to begin with. Just proof that the regional business community has pretty much abandoned downtown.

In DC, suburban office parks not near transit are being mothballed and re-purposed.

If you drive 435 from Bannister to 95th in Lenexa, you will see as much office space as you see in MUCH bigger cities. No other city under 4 million has that type of suburban edge city office development for such a massive suburban corridor.
I would guess most Texas cities outside of Austin probably have a similar distribution of commercial space. Houston suburban office complexes are gigantic - the Woodlands (home of Exxon), the Galleria (some call it urban but it's distinctively suburban) and the Energy Corridor (home to 4-5 major oil companies). All of these have multiple 20-30 story office towers (or more - there's a 60+ story office tower in the Galleria) and there are multiple smaller nodes throughout the area. With the exception of the Woodlands, they are mostly within the city limits of Houston but that's the only way its different. Downtown Houston is large but the amount of space there is most likely dwarfed by the numerous huge suburban complexes.