Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm Lately I've been impressed with the crowds in crown center each time I visit. I also think the shops and restaurants have slowly become better fitted with the complex. For instance, Unforked fits its context 10x better than the streetcar desire ever did.
Agreed. That corner feels completely different since the renovation.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

horizons82 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:17 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 pm
Unless there is more space that I'm not aware, isn't MTH Theater using all of that space?
I’m talking about the old American Heartland Theater space above where halls is now. You’re talking about MTH on the same floor as halls, which used to be the cinema.

Here’s an article from when Heartland closed:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/kc-s-ameri ... se/3675238
We used to have corporate town hall meetings in the Heartland space. It's oddly configured and access via narrow escalators or hidden elevator/stairwells, but there is a lot of space over the parking garage that could be utilized for a cinema if someone wanted to spend the money.

And while not directly connected to the heart of CC, there are plenty of surface lots on the south end that are being looked at for redevelopment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rehashing some topic I'm sure but are we expecting the surface parking lots to disappear before the streetcar extension is in place or not? The townhouses they are building on 27th still interest me but they feel so disconnected and surrounded by either surface parking or a steep elevation to get to anything fun on 31st.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 am Rehashing some topic I'm sure but are we expecting the surface parking lots to disappear before the streetcar extension is in place or not? The townhouses they are building on 27th still interest me but they feel so disconnected and surrounded by either surface parking or a steep elevation to get to anything fun on 31st.
So far along the starter line, within two blocks only 11 surface lots have gone away, and it's been 7 years since the election.

The timeline for change across downtown will be counted in decades.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

But how many surface lots downtown have been on the market? (Honest question. I don't know the answer, but it doesn't seem like there have been surface lots along the line that just sit on the market).

With these lots being on the market, I think it is inevitable that something will happen, but the exact timeline is anyone's guess. Also, Milhaus has the option to purchase the lots to the south of their current development. I forget when that option expires. That would help better integrate the townhouses with 31st St/Union Hill.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am But how many surface lots downtown have been on the market? (Honest question. I don't know the answer, but it doesn't seem like there have been surface lots along the line that just sit on the market).
Very few. It also doesn't help that the empty lots are predominately owned by just 3 groups - 1 of which has no intentions of selling/building.

Crown Center on the other hand has a singular owner who has been one of the longest proponents of downtown.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

I would think CCRC would have controlling interest of the land immediately south/southeast of the Santa Fe and SFO tower complex. Moreover, the amenities would remain "centrally located" to any further development.

One must question whether the streetcar extension would enhance the desirability of these properties.

Anyone know who controls the green space and surface lots between 26th and (sic) 28th streets? Anything firmly slated for development - yet?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kenrbnj wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am Anyone know who controls the green space and surface lots between 26th and (sic) 28th streets?
Hallmark
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 47f0408b59

Looks like Crown Center will be replacing a significant number of their outdoor signage.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Where is the crown in Crown Center? There used to be crowns at Christmas in downtown, Puerto Vallarta Mexico has a cathedral with Carlota's crown on top. But nary a single crown at Crown Center. The closest in time and space was when Queen Marie of Romania came to the Liberty Memorial dedication. CC needs an eponymous crown.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

And the Plaza needs a plaza.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 pm Where is the crown in Crown Center? There used to be crowns at Christmas in downtown, Puerto Vallarta Mexico has a cathedral with Carlota's crown on top. But nary a single crown at Crown Center. The closest in time and space was when Queen Marie of Romania came to the Liberty Memorial dedication. CC needs an eponymous crown.
I once met the exiled king of Rwanda at a Latin mass at the church there.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

This is the original crown in 'crown center'. This is where the crown motif idea came from according to some.

(Our Lady of Sorrows Church aka 'Our Lady of Hallmark' adjacent Hallmark Corp.)
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

langosta wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm
horizons82 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm Converting all of the third floor over to halls was an extremely smart move on CC's part. That said, It'd be nice to see a marquee restaurant or experiential tenant take up the old 4th floor theater space. It's a shame that large of a space is just mothballed.

Overall, It's the second floor that gives CC a black eye.

If they were to consolidate the 2nd floor tenant spaces and bring in a few larger clients, it'd help. It needs a destination or two. Maybe move fritz' up a floor and expand it? God knows that thing draws a crowd.

They also should reconfigure this exterior wall to allow for a more visible entrance with glazing:
https://goo.gl/maps/jSF6UncNYiVPQEPW7
Does Crown Center have space for an Urban Target? It could be one of the better downtown KC locations. Close proximity to large office spaces, hotels, and residential. Direct transit access with plentiful parking for people coming in from surrounding areas.

I never knew that was an entrance.
That isn't an entrance, it's a blank wall with fire exit. That could never be anything because it's the backside of the Coterie Theater. Unless the theater is moved somewhere else and an entrance and something is constructed there.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Didn't Hallmark's use of the crown predate the creation of Crown Center?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCLover wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm That isn't an entrance, it's a blank wall with fire exit. That could never be anything because it's the backside of the Coterie Theater. Unless the theater is moved somewhere else and an entrance and something is constructed there.

Buddy I've used that entrance more times than I can count. Just used it last weekend. Try it sometime. The coterie is a floor below there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The coterie is on the first level. The bridge above is on the third level since Halls uses it. So that door is indeed the second level.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Overheard at Hall's: something about Quixotic moving into the old American Heartland Theater?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:19 am Overheard at Hall's: something about Quixotic moving into the old American Heartland Theater?
http://click.bizjournals.com/P03080PUxW0Ih50w0i1YYO2
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm glad they found a place. I thought for awhile that having them do semi-permanent shows at the Lyric Theater might be a good re-use for that building until the YMCA nabbed it.