Bringing Conventions to Kansas City

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bringing Conventions to Kansas City

Post by flyingember »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:07 pm KC won't have the turnout Nashville did and like KCP stated, KC just isn't a party town like Vegas, NO or Nashville. I wouldn't want that vibe downtown all the time anyway. Can you image if our Broadway street was lined with bars for 8-10 blocks...that would be a nightmare and I'm guessing a lot of people that choose to live downtown, probably wouldn't if it was a constant party spot.
That's funny, because P&L is ~7 blocks of bars in restaurants, just not all in a row. And it hosts that kind of vibe all the time downtown.

People have moved into two brand new towers right next to that.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

flyingember wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:07 pm KC won't have the turnout Nashville did and like KCP stated, KC just isn't a party town like Vegas, NO or Nashville. I wouldn't want that vibe downtown all the time anyway. Can you image if our Broadway street was lined with bars for 8-10 blocks...that would be a nightmare and I'm guessing a lot of people that choose to live downtown, probably wouldn't if it was a constant party spot.
That's funny, because P&L is ~7 blocks of bars in restaurants, just not all in a row. And it hosts that kind of vibe all the time downtown.

People have moved into two brand new towers right next to that.
PnL is pretty tame compared to Broadway street in Nashville. I was just in Nashville for work a few weeks ago...during the middle of the day during a weekday, most of the bars were packed with tourists getting drunk. Completely different vibe than PnL in KC. And people don't really travel from Nashville/NO/Vegas to party in KC. Many of my female friends go to Nashville several times a year just to party. I don't get it. I don't really like Nashville that much, but women sure seem to.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I was at Power and Light district for dinner and a certain Olympic Gold medalist rolled up(really cool). After dinner, I saw another high profile Olympian at the P&L Streetcar stop. This lead to some Googling and evidently we are hosting the US Gymnastics Championship.

Does anyone know if this a regular thing or just a one off?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

One off and very cool
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:26 pm One off and very cool
Neat. I hope we can continue to attract more events like this. Conventions/events seem like one of the best ways to increase our exposure to the "outside world"
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Up to Date on NPR had a segment yesterday talking with the heads of the convention bureau and Visit KC. They mentioned that they continue to bid on sports events, including large-scale ones like this, and hope to be on the rotation more often. The Loew's hotel, they mentioned, along with additional new hotels in the downtown area, the streetcar all are important pieces to help win new conventions events (duh). The gymnastics championship took five years to land, and the last time KC hosted was 1987.

They mentioned they're still fighting to change the perception that KC is a dusty cow town.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

kcjak wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 am Up to Date on NPR had a segment yesterday talking with the heads of the convention bureau and Visit KC. They mentioned that they continue to bid on sports events, including large-scale ones like this, and hope to be on the rotation more often. The Loew's hotel, they mentioned, along with additional new hotels in the downtown area, the streetcar all are important pieces to help win new conventions events (duh). The gymnastics championship took five years to land, and the last time KC hosted was 1987.

They mentioned they're still fighting to change the perception that KC is a dusty cow town.
And hopefully that it's not always a war zone.